Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hello everyone!

I'm new here and new to the laser world!... "But"!... after going to wal-mart (wally world) and purchasing a stupid little red laser in the form of a mouse (rodent) from the pet section to chase my cat around I got interested in lasers!. I then spent the last week looking for a green laser and found one (the only one in my town I think) from radio shack.

Based on what I've read online about some of the reviews of this 50 dollar 5mW I thought what the heck and got one!. Some people were saying it wasn't worth much as in quality and yes its only 5mW but after playing around with it for the last two nights, I'm happy with it and I can clearly see the beam if I'm behind the device. I then tried to spot it from about 50ft away from the side pointing at about a 45 degree angle into the dark sky and it's invisible. The guy at radio shack said they are new compared to some of the older ones they use to have a year ago with improvements in these new ones.

I think it has a range of something like 10,000 ft range but its fine for looking with my telescope.

To sum all this up? Now I'm hooked! so I'll be asking some questions as I visit here. I'm trying to learn more and more all I can about these awesome hand held lasers/pointers.

Now I'm hooked cause after researching more... I would like to have at least a 100mW 532 beam (Green) of course or something that will allow a nice view of the beam from any distance or angle.

Tell me,... Can anyone tell me who sells lasers in the US? I'm in Florida and seems most all I've found are overseas (no offense) but I would like to do mail order from within the States if I can't buy one in person somewhere.

I know 5mW is max in the states for safety reasons... but is there anyone here (in the states) who are selling High Powered Lasers??

Well enough of my rambling for now.... anyway,
Just want to say "Hello" and 'm looking forward to more lasers in the near future.

Thanks for a really nice Forum too!.

~Alan~

:cool:

Hey Max, well I've seen several pointers out there. Some of which listing as: 120mW for $180.00, a 100mW at $230 but most were around 300 or more for a 125mW or so.... I'm looking to spend around 200 for one (New) of course.

The only way I would buy a used pointer is if I could see it first hand and inspect it for any mods done to it as I don't want someone else's mod or tampering.

So with this in mind... what did you have in mind? lol

i was thinking maybe an X-series 100 from NOVAlasers.com, or a viper 95 from dragonlasers.com. both are great companies and both send over spec units. ;) i got a Alpha 105 from NOVAlasers that puts out >130mW average with good batteries and peaks at 140mW. with rechargeable batteries it puts out a >120mW average over 5 minutes ;D the lowest it goes is about 119mW with eneloop rechargeable batteries. the whole thing with the aluminum case and shipping cost $274 and it arrived in 3 days in michigan ;D

Jimmymcjimthejim said:
Welcome to the forums!
What area of Florida do you live in?
I live near Ft. Lauderdale.
I used to live in Florida a few months ago in Bunnell :p it's kind of a small town north west of Daytona beach about an hour no planes no neighbors for miles no cops or anything :D the town of 2 stop lights ;D I lived about 20 miles out in the country near Palaka. I could point my laser in the sky all I wanted with no worries. now I live right under a flight path in Detroit michigan :'(

I went to Ft Lauderdale to watch the space shutter launch a while back :)

Thanks fellas!... I live in Tallahassee soon to be moving back to my hometown of Orlando. I'll keep the companies you mention in mind as I have looked at them already a couple days ago... I have one for you to look at if thats ok. How about this laser:

120mw for $199.99 (Tiger series GX from "WarnLaser"), 6mo warranty. what you think of this one? sorry, I can't post a link yet until I get 10 post...

also: I would prefer ordering in the states if thats possible but that all depends on the prices and basically taking the chance it will get here through customs and stuff like that.

Found this one too: Aiguille Series 532nm 120mW Green Laser Pointer for $204.00 from "High Lasers"

These are just a couple I found... I like the X-Series from NOVA too.

I really need to keep it "around" the 200 dollar mark base price or if I can get by with maybe a 100mw then that too would be good.

Thanks for the welcome and the info.

oh yeah another thing I meant to ask:
Laser that cut stuff like tape or go through plastic,... what range does this work? is it only at close range or at any range depending on the "Rad"?? does the "Rad" of a beam effect this? sorry, trying to remember what I seen about the size of the beam at the source (or something like that) lol yeah I know, dam newbie! ...

Thanks again fellas!.
~A~

deepdiver said:
Thanks fellas!... I live in Tallahassee soon to be moving back to my hometown of Orlando. I'll keep the companies you mention in mind as I have looked at them already a couple days ago... I have one for you to look at if thats ok. How about this laser:

120mw for $199.99 (Tiger series GX from "WarnLaser"), 6mo warranty. what you think of this one? sorry, I can't post a link yet until I get 10 post...

also: I would prefer ordering in the states if thats possible but that all depends on the prices and basically taking the chance it will get here through customs and stuff like that.

Found this one too: Aiguille Series 532nm 120mW Green Laser Pointer for $204.00 from "High Lasers"

I really need to keep it "around" the 200 dollar mark base price or if I can get by with maybe a 100mw then that too would be good.

stay away from warn lasers light the plague like you would with wickedlasers they are horrid
highlasers don't look very promising either :-/

maxkillz said:
[quote author=deepdiver link=1227415193/0#6 date=1227430764]Thanks fellas!... I live in Tallahassee soon to be moving back to my hometown of Orlando. I'll keep the companies you mention in mind as I have looked at them already a couple days ago... I have one for you to look at if thats ok. How about this laser:

stay away from warn lasers light the plague like you would with wickedlasers they are horrid
highlasers don't look very promising either :-/[/quote]

Also, Techlasers seems to be related to wicked lasers in some way...Stay away from them too. Dragon lasers, NOVA lasers and Laserglow are all great companies. I would get the 95mW viper since it will probably put out >100mW's and is "only" 200 dollarshttp://www.dragonlasers.com/catalog/Viper-Series-95mW-p-16162.html.
You can also look at this price guide http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1226828268.

And definitely read this http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?virboard=b_general;num=1206843997.
^^ that one is one of the most important threads ever. ;)

Oh and welcome to the forum. :)

--hydro15

techlasers is an affiliate of wickedlasers and they usually send underspec units.

I don't think they resell CNI lasers as they are slightly different. the clip is on the opposite side of my x series from nova and my DL95. no pics as I don't own any of them anymore. I have a NOVAlasers Alpha now ;D

If you think you are hooked now wait till you get a laser that burns stuff...especially if you make it ;D .... you'll be hooked then...just wait :D

Oh and welcome to the forum..Dont hesitate to ask questions people are really nice here

Thank you "All" for the help on selecting a nice laser. Man I'll tell ya,... it really is confusing buying a laser especially when you don't know the "Jist" of it or which is good and not so good! lol It looks like from what I've been reading lately that "Nova" is in first place with me so far. The "X" series looks good so far.

Well I took my Radioshack laser 5mw apart.... inspected it and removed the pod. I tried adjusting it first but there were no results at all. After removing it I got an additional 3mw out of it but thats it.

It's burning fine and hopefully it will last long enough till I get my new one.

As for my next laser? yeah I think right around a 100mw would be just fine.

Thanks again everyone!...

~A~

maxkillz said:
i was thinking maybe an X-series 100 from NOVAlasers.com, or a viper 95 from [highlight]dragonlasers.com[/highlight]. both are great companies and both send over spec units.  ;) i got a Alpha 105 from NOVAlasers that puts out >130mW average with good batteries and peaks at 140mW. with rechargeable batteries it puts out  a >120mW average over 5 minutes  ;D the lowest it goes is about 119mW with eneloop rechargeable  batteries. the whole thing with the aluminum case and shipping cost $274 and it arrived in 3 days in michigan  ;D
WRONG!!!
Dragonlasers sends at spec or underspec units.
They are not great, but they are not terrible.