Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hello Everyone! Yet another new member here...

Hi guys!
To be honest, I'm not exactly "new" to the forums. I've been browsing around here for a few months but I just recently joined. I'm not exactly new to electronics either. I may only be in high school, but a few years back I took a serious interest in electronics, and it is now my hobby and soon to be career. I love DIY electronics projects. My latest project is a scratch built home automation system with a web interface (which is coming along quite well, might I add!). The reason I am here, though, is because a few weeks back I built a laser out of a DDL driver that I made, a PHR diode, an aixiz module, and an altoids tin.... and... well.... I think I'm addicted. I've already picked up a few cheap metal flashlights and I've begun to modify them to be used as laser hosts.

I hope that this will be the first of many posts here, and I hope to build some really awesome lasers in the future. It's time to put my DIY project experience and electronics knowledge to the test!

ps: I'm new to forums in general... I've read the rules and I love the search button, but if I do something dumb feel free to let me know so I won't do it again.

When I joined this forum the thing for new people is they have to be whipped ten times. And if they don't scream they are welcome :crackup: na Im kidding. Good to have you

Thanks for the warm welcome guys! I hope I can post some pictures of my build soon... But I won't be finished until some more parts for a smaller driver arrive in the mail.

welcome.gif
to the Forum...

It seems you already know your way around...
Enjoy the Forum...

Jerry

Welcome to the forum! Just wondering, with a handle like kilovolt are you also into HV?

I'd like to be into HV, but I haven't really done many good projects. I've always found the subject interesting, though. One of these days I'll do something more than re-purpose some old fluorescent lamp ballasts or CRT monitors. It's just hard to convince one's parents that having a tesla coil in the garage is a good idea....

Maybe try a ZVS flyback driver as an HV project. If you get tired of running a Jacob's ladder off it, you could then try a nitrogen or TEA laser running off it. Tesla coils are nice to have, why not make a mini SSTC? It can fit on a desktop, I have one with a 7" tall secondary, so not a big scary coil.

I was considering building a small audio modulated SSTC but I haven't ever found the time. There's just not enough time in the day to build everything that should be built... But hey thanks for the suggestion! I'll definitely have to look into running a nitrogen laser off of that flyback driver. That would be great for pumping a dye laser or something...

Welcome to the Forum KV,

So what is the epic win you have as your avitar?

-Ryan

That epic win would be my senior exit project for high school, which I am currently working on. I have built from scratch/programmed a home automation system with a web interface. What you see on the breadboard is the prototype though. I'm still in the process of making PCBs for it since I can't find a blasted laser printer :banghead:. I'll probably end up printing my etchant resistant layers at Fedex/Kinko's or something, but anyways... Yeah that's what that epic win is about.