Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Heatsink for DTRs m462/Xdrive attached.

Hey everyone, I recently purchased the M462 with X drive attached from Jordan and I guess my question is do you think it would be silly to Put a small Aluminum heating on the driver itself being that it’s running at 1.8amps or if it will even fit on the inside of the module? I’m looking at getting at least another 20-30 second Duty Cycle on the driver itself since the Diode will be well heatsinked with 40mm of Aluminum anyways.
Thanks for the input.

-Richie

This is directly off of Flaminpyro’s page: Notes from Angelos...

“For all the rectangle X-Boost i usually say this up to ~1.0A to 1.5A No heat sink with 60 to 90 seconds duty cycles. Anything above that will require heat sink.

For all the X-Drive up to 2.4A for up to 60 seconds to 90 seconds duty cycle. However it is recommend anything above 1.8A to be heat sink for contentious duty cycle.

SXB-2 This driver barely gets warm. However i suggest anything above 1.8A to be heat sink'd.”

- hope that helps I didn’t sink mine on that diode :beer:

Josh

Last edited:
I've used that driver with many builds. I have yet to heat sink one. Never had an issue with them. At 1.8 amps it can run for a couple minutes easily without causing any damage.

This is directly off of Flaminpyro’s page: Notes from Angelos...

“For all the rectangle X-Boost i usually say this up to ~1.0A to 1.5A No heat sink with 60 to 90 seconds duty cycles. Anything above that will require heat sink.

For all the X-Drive up to 2.4A for up to 60 seconds to 90 seconds duty cycle. However it is recommend anything above 1.8A to be heat sink for contentious duty cycle.

SXB-2 This driver barely gets warm. However i suggest anything above 1.8A to be heat sink'd.”

- hope that helps I didn’t sink mine on that diode :beer:

Josh
Hey Josh, lol yeah I remember actually reading that a while back. I actually couldn’t find the thread so thanks for that :) I bought some nice adhesive, compound, and a a tiny heatsink from Gary, too bad I can’t fit the copper one from Gary on the driver attached from DTR :(

I've used that driver with many builds. I have yet to heat sink one. Never had an issue with them. At 1.8 amps it can run for a couple minutes easily without causing any damage.
Oh good, I actually purchased some goodies from Gary for later builds, like the Compound and adhesive, I’ve never worked with that stuff before but it seemed pretty straight forward so I may do it just to get some practice in :)

GSS

Why don't you just stick a small piece of flat AL stock on it. Something maby 1/16 of an inch thick that will fit in the module but still give you a little peace of mind.
I have a around 1/8 inch thick one on my SXD driver at 4A and it runs good.
You must have some AL stock laying around with all your hobbys that you can trim to fit the driver's board.

Last edited:
Why don't you just stick a small piece of flat AL stock on it. Something maby 1/16 of an inch thick that will fit in the module but still give you a little peace of mind.
I have a around 1/8 inch thick one on my SXD driver at 4A and it runs good.
You must have some AL stock laying around with all your hobbys that you can trim to fit the driver's board.

I think I do, that’s actually a great idea, I remember Flaminpyro showing some of his drivers with that. Thanks BTY :)