Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Heat output

How long can a laser be left on

• 2 minutes?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1minute?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Hi guys. I just built my first laser and was curious Its only a 3W but it has a coolling in the module body. Do they really get that hot and if so what is the safest time to keep them "lit". Thanks a bunch guys. Still learning!

Hi,
3W's is a lot of power so be aware it will produce a lot of wasted heat regardless of the heat sink. The inkwell only absorb so much and wick it away. I usually run my builds at 30-on / 30 off , we run these diode way out of what they are originally intended for.
So if you want your build toast keep your duty cycles low and always be safe wear you safety glasses . And do not let anyone else operate it without guidance and safety . I hope this helps.....
Rich:)

Hi,
3W's is a lot of power so be aware it will produce a lot of wasted heat regardless of the heat sink. The inkwell only absorb so much and wick it away. I usually run my builds at 30-on / 30 off , we run these diode way out of what they are originally intended for.
So if you want your build toast keep your duty cycles low and always be safe wear you safety glasses . And do not let anyone else operate it without guidance and safety . I hope this helps.....
Great! How about a NUBM44 7W - in a S4X host from Survival - SXD Driver 4.5A, Copper Heat Sink? 2 on / 2 off is good?

Hi,
If you want to risk the longevity of the diode thats up to you alone. I wouldn't run a diode that long myself. If you get the host that fits the 20mm coper module that would be a good choice for the heat dissipation . Survival lasers is a great place to purchase fine items to our hobby. Maybe someone will chime in about the 20mm host /adapter . Gary is a stand up guy for sure and great items.