Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

hd drive

SOME of the XBHOX hd-dvd drives have the PHR-803T sled, containing the higher power diode. the drives have ROM version 000 and a parts number ending in 225. The others will have the lower power DT0811 sled, which is still better than a PS3 sled output-wise.

with the PHR sled you can expect ~90-100mW out of the diode. with DT0811 (I think thats the other sled number...) You can get 50-60mW. Good luck!

GooeyGus said:
with the PHR sled you can expect ~90-100mW out of the diode. with DT0811 (I think thats the other sled number...) You can get 50-60mW. Good luck!

What would be a safe current (mA) to run the DT0811 diode. Don't have a power meter yet.
I've seen mention of no more than 35mA, which would not produce the mentioned 50mW output.

Recommendations on safe current level please.

Just get the one styro linked to. It costs like $20 a drive (REMEMBER THE CODE!) and all the ones I've harvested were indeed PHR-803Ts. Fast shipping might I add.

xts5000 said:
[quote author=GooeyGus link=1212953010/0#3 date=1212992935]with the PHR sled you can expect ~90-100mW out of the diode. with DT0811 (I think thats the other sled number...) You can get 50-60mW. Good luck!

What would be a safe current (mA) to run the DT0811 diode.  Don't have a power meter yet.
I've seen mention of no more than 35mA, which would not produce the mentioned  50mW output.

[/quote]
My dt0811 diode didn't really light up until after 50mA. I'd give it 60mA and see how it is. I ran mine all the way up to 120 and it didn't die, but it didn't get much brighter after 60mA either.

GooeyGus said:
[quote author=xts5000 link=1212953010/0#4 date=1213085767][quote author=GooeyGus link=1212953010/0#3 date=1212992935]with the PHR sled you can expect ~90-100mW out of the diode. with DT0811 (I think thats the other sled number...) You can get 50-60mW. Good luck!

What would be a safe current (mA) to run the DT0811 diode.  Don't have a power meter yet.
I've seen mention of no more than 35mA, which would not produce the mentioned  50mW output.

[/quote]
My dt0811 diode didn't really light up until after 50mA. I'd give it 60mA and see how it is. I ran mine all the way up to 120 and it didn't die, but it didn't get much brighter after 60mA either. [/quote]

Using a current meter hooked up to the main power supply (not the LD itself) is showing 30mA for a very dim dot, and when turned up to 35mA the laser diode gets much brighter to the point I can see the beam very very faintly in a dark room. I'm just wondering how high I can go without blowing it up.

I havent gone past 36mA yet. I've read some people's DT0811 blew up at 40mA, while I see others say its safe in the low 50mA range.

Would it be safe to slowly turn up the current until it stops getting brighter, then back the current off a bit? I'm trying to fugure what a safe method is to find the max output of a LD without blowing it up.

Thanks

Switch

Would it be safe to slowly turn up the current until it stops getting brighter, then back the current off a bit? I'm trying to fugure what a safe method is to find the max output of a LD without blowing it up.
There really isn't a sure method for that.As I recall Gooey fed his 811 with 150mA and it lived(without getting significantly higher output)

xts5000 said:
[quote author=GooeyGus link=1212953010/0#6 date=1213089309][quote author=xts5000 link=1212953010/0#4 date=1213085767][quote author=GooeyGus link=1212953010/0#3 date=1212992935]with the PHR sled you can expect ~90-100mW out of the diode. with DT0811 (I think thats the other sled number...) You can get 50-60mW. Good luck!

[/quote]
My dt0811 diode didn't really light up until after 50mA. I'd give it 60mA and see how it is. I ran mine all the way up to 120 and it didn't die, but it didn't get much brighter after 60mA either. [/quote]

Using a current meter hooked up to the main power supply (not the LD itself) is showing 30mA for a very dim dot, and when turned up to 35mA the laser diode gets much brighter to the point I can see the beam very very faintly in a dark room.  I'm just wondering how high I can go without blowing it up.

I havent gone past 36mA yet.  I've read some people's DT0811 blew up at 40mA, while I see others say its safe in the low 50mA range.

Would it be safe to slowly turn up the current until it stops getting brighter, then back the current off a bit?  I'm trying to fugure what a safe method is to find the max output of a LD without blowing it up.

Thanks
[/quote]

This method sounds good in practice, except one problem. The DT0811 seems kinda picky. For example, mine actually lased maybe 5-15mW between 40 and 57ish mA, with almost no change in power from 40-57mA, then all the sudden between 59 and 61mA it almost doubled in brightness. So its really hard to say. I'm trying to get a hold of more of these DT0811 diodes to run some more tests but it is hard to justify buying them for $43 when I can get the PHR-803 sled for less than 25.

xts5000 said:
Using a current meter hooked up to the main power supply (not the LD itself) is showing 30mA for a very dim dot...

sounds like you're putting the meter forward of the driver, in which case the current reaching the diode should be somewhat lower, considering the power draw and efficiency of the driver itself... you want to place the meter between the driver and the diode so you're measuring the actual current reaching the diode.
it's also recommended you not do the adjustment using the actual laser either, but using a dummy load made up of 4 or so diodes in series or a couple LED's in series. (PS, remember to discharge the capacitor before reconnecting the laser diode).. that way if you twitch while turning the pot you don't accidentally bump the power way up.

pseudolobster said:
[quote author=xts5000 link=1212953010/0#7 date=1213174561]
Using a current meter hooked up to the main power supply (not the LD itself) is showing 30mA for a very dim dot...

sounds like you're putting the meter forward of the driver, in which case the current reaching the diode should be somewhat lower, considering the power draw and efficiency of the driver itself... you want to place the meter between the driver and the diode so you're measuring the actual current reaching the diode.
it's also recommended you not do the adjustment using the actual laser either, but using a dummy load made up of 4 or so diodes in series or a couple LED's in series. (PS, remember to discharge the capacitor before reconnecting the laser diode).. that way if you twitch while turning the pot you don't accidentally bump the power way up.[/quote]

I was under the impression that it doesn't really matter where the meter is placed in the circuit, as long as its in series and as long as its a normal linear regulator type driver (LM317). The reason for this being that the meter is measuring total current flowing through the entire circuit, meaning it should be the same no matter where you measure. I measure mine right off one of the terminals on the battery, and I bet it would be the same near the diode because in this case its measuring current as a whole. This wont work on the lavadrive because you will be measuring the total current being used from the original current source, rather than the boosted voltage/current which will have higher voltage but lower current.

roSSco

GooeyGus said:
[quote author=pseudolobster link=1212953010/0#10 date=1213191287][quote author=xts5000 link=1212953010/0#7 date=1213174561]

it's also recommended you not do the adjustment using the actual laser either, but using a dummy load made up of 4 or so diodes in series or a couple LED's in series. (PS, remember to discharge the capacitor before reconnecting the laser diode).. that way if you twitch while turning the pot you don't accidentally bump the power way up.[/quote]

I was under the impression that it doesn't really matter where the meter is placed in the circuit, as long as its in series. The reason for this being that the meter is measuring total current flowing through the entire circuit, meaning it should be the same no matter where you measure. I measure mine right off one of the terminals on the battery, and I bet it would be the same near the diode because in this case its measuring current as a whole.[/quote]
Measuring current from the batteries will only be accurate (regarding the current to the LD) when using a circuit similar to the DDL driver.

Any boost circuit will give an inaccurate reading, i.e. the measurement will not be what is going to the diode. For these types of circuits the meter has to be in series with the LD to get an accurate reading.

roSSco said:
[quote author=GooeyGus link=1212953010/0#11 date=1213192350][quote author=pseudolobster link=1212953010/0#10 date=1213191287][quote author=xts5000 link=1212953010/0#7 date=1213174561]

I was under the impression that it doesn't really matter where the meter is placed in the circuit, as long as its in series. The reason for this being that the meter is measuring total current flowing through the entire circuit, meaning it should be the same no matter where you measure. I measure mine right off one of the terminals on the battery, and I bet it would be the same near the diode because in this case its measuring current as a whole.[/quote]
Measuring current from the batteries will only be accurate (regarding the current to the LD) when using a circuit similar to the DDL driver.  

Any boost circuit will give an inaccurate reading, i.e. the measurement will not be what is going to the diode.  For these types of circuits the meter has to be in series with the LD to get an accurate reading.[/quote]

I must have edited my answer as you were typing this ;D

I was assuming he was using a linear regulator type driver, hence the answer. Then A few minutes after I posted I realized he didn't really say what he was using, so I elaborated a bit. Great minds think alike!! :D

roSSco

GooeyGus said:
[quote author=roSSco link=1212953010/12#12 date=1213192643][quote author=GooeyGus link=1212953010/0#11 date=1213192350][quote author=pseudolobster link=1212953010/0#10 date=1213191287][quote author=xts5000 link=1212953010/0#7 date=1213174561]

Any boost circuit will give an inaccurate reading, i.e. the measurement will not be what is going to the diode. For these types of circuits the meter has to be in series with the LD to get an accurate reading.[/quote]

I must have edited my answer as you were typing this ;D

I was assuming he was using a linear regulator type driver, hence the answer. Then A few minutes after I posted I realized he didn't really say what he was using, so I elaborated a bit. Great minds think alike!! :D
[/quote]
thankya.gif

GooeyGus said:
[quote author=xts5000 link=1212953010/0#7 date=1213174561][quote author=GooeyGus link=1212953010/0#6 date=1213089309][quote author=xts5000 link=1212953010/0#4 date=1213085767][quote author=GooeyGus link=1212953010/0#3 date=1212992935]with the PHR sled you can expect ~90-100mW out of the diode. with DT0811 (I think thats the other sled number...) You can get 50-60mW. Good luck!

[/quote]

Using a current meter hooked up to the main power supply (not the LD itself) is showing 30mA for a very dim dot, and when turned up to 35mA the laser diode gets much brighter to the point I can see the beam very very faintly in a dark room.  I'm just wondering how high I can go without blowing it up.

I havent gone past 36mA yet.  I've read some people's DT0811 blew up at 40mA, while I see others say its safe in the low 50mA range.

Would it be safe to slowly turn up the current until it stops getting brighter, then back the current off a bit?  I'm trying to fugure what a safe method is to find the max output of a LD without blowing it up.

Thanks
[/quote]

This method sounds good in practice, except one problem. The DT0811 seems kinda picky. For example, mine actually lased maybe 5-15mW between 40 and 57ish mA, with almost no change in power from 40-57mA, then all the sudden between 59 and 61mA it almost doubled in brightness. So its really hard to say. I'm trying to get a hold of more of these DT0811 diodes to run some more tests but it is hard to justify buying them for $43 when I can get the PHR-803 sled for less than 25.[/quote]

Thank you and all the others that have answered my questions.

I think for now I'm going to run my DT0811 at 50mA
While the PHR will stay at 80-90 for now.

These seem safe levels with heat sinking of the diode using an Aixiz housings that FINALLY showed up today.

Thanks again guys