Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Having fun with a cheap $3.00 Wal-Mart laser

So here I have a few pics of a cheap 5 mW laser pointer from Wal-Mart. Nothing special just cool to play around with.

Attachments

• Red_Laser_002.jpg
    Red_Laser_002.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 1,280

I'd be curious to test one of those. Have a laser meter coming and could use one for the cat anyway

Even the DX 30mW is too much for him. ;D

How is it possible that the beam of a 5mw is visible on the pics?. :-?
I thought you need at least 100mw of 650nm to get a visible beam.

Or did you use a fog machine?

Ashton

You need to send those to WL for soem free $$$ ;D

amazing pics for a 5mw. I really need to fire up my fogger one night once I get my 200mw back from senkat (send it for measuring)

Be VERY careful playing with CDs though, as you see, they reflect in all kinds of directions, it's possible if you hit it wrong to get an eyefull of laser!

Ashton

go to lasercommunity.com and set up an account the go to the picture gallery and click "submit pictures" (IIRC, I've not done it in a while, though when I get my lasers from senkat I plan on spamming the heck out of it to buy some goggles --- yep, you heard that right, I dont have goggles and I'm gonna be shining a 100mw green and a 200mw red all over hte place. very insane, very desperate...)

Ashton

solar00 said:
How is it possible that the beam of a 5mw is visible on the pics?.   :-?
I thought you need at least 100mw of 650nm to get a visible beam.

Depending on the ocnditions, my 200mw 660nm is invisible. Such as with any significant lights on. though with lights off and a small, dark room, I turn it on and the beam's bright enough I can see the entire room from it...

Remember though, as stated a fogger was used, and even a flashlight beam is visible in a fogger, and they're nowhere near as powerful as a laser, amazing how light works, isn't it?