Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Has anyone opened a Thor Ultra or an Odin 5 watt?

Blackholesun

Hello,
I am curious as to what the heatsink looks like. I hear these hosts are glued, and i believe it. I think a collet wrench made for the job would work, but before i do that, maybe someone has one already disassembled and has photos of the innards, in particular the heat sink.
Thanks in advance.
I'm also interested in whether anyone has actually burned one of these lasers out.

Last edited:

Blackholesun

Hi,
It opened up easy. I just turned it by hand. I don't know why it was so easy this time around. Warmer weather? Anyways, it looks like the copper heatsink in these isn't very long. Maybe an inch. BTW this turned out to be a 3 watt laser. Is a heatsink of 1 inch enough for this laser? I run more watts on a radio transistor with no issues with less heatsink than this.
And, can I change out the 3 watt transistor for a 5 watt one without having to change out the driver board?
Thanks.

Last edited:

ewaan

Could anyone show the inside of theirs if possible? I'm struggling to open mine and I'm worried I might break something if I'm not careful.

Also, do you guys know if it would be possible to modify it anyhow? Changing the diode or driver etc?

Thanks

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
Could anyone show the inside of theirs if possible? I'm struggling to open mine and I'm worried I might break something if I'm not careful.

Also, do you guys know if it would be possible to modify it anyhow? Changing the diode or driver etc?

Thanks
Build yer own! That will teach you the skills you'll need if you want/need to change the diode in the one you have now.

Hi,
It opened up easy. I just turned it by hand. I don't know why it was so easy this time around. Warmer weather? Anyways, it looks like the copper heatsink in these isn't very long. Maybe an inch. BTW this turned out to be a 3 watt laser. Is a heatsink of 1 inch enough for this laser? I run more watts on a radio transistor with no issues with less heatsink than this.
And, can I change out the 3 watt transistor for a 5 watt one without having to change out the driver board?
Thanks.

Are you certain that the heat sink is copper and not brass? Brass has been used a lot by many Chinese pointer sellers. It is inferior to copper