Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Has anyone ever buit a TNG Phaser build?

joeyss

I know the ones on the NCC-1701-D are all yellow but some use different colors like one looked like a 405nm.

I think it would be neat to try and knife edge one with 200mw of red 635nm and like 80mw of 515nm to get yellow.

or just combine 2 250 638s.

Would you be able to get a 9mm 3 watt diode in the build?

AaronT

Interesting, I'm watching a Playmate brand TOS + NG non working phaser combo on Ebay.

I figured a 445nm NUBM44 @ 7 Watts for the TOS and a 405nm BDR-209 in the NG

I see no reason why just about any diode couldn't be used in a Next Gen Phaser build (you can power a NUBM44 with 2 AAA sized batteries in a pen host) your limit will be the heat sinking that keeps the diode and/or driver cool.

What do you want your phaser to be able to do?

GSS

What have you seen so far as to the RPF forum or by browsing all who modify? Also have you seen this guy "jon lussier" and his builds of everything Star Trek.

AaronT

What have you seen so far as to the RPF forum or by browsing all who modify? Also have you seen this guy "jon lussier" and his builds of everything Star Trek.

Lets see if I can keep this tactful...

I contacted "jon lussier" after seeing his youtube vids and his ebay sales.

He is an engineer with his own machine shop, he runs his own business and he says he is "flooded" with work.

I inquired to the specifics to some of his designs, he was very reserved to say the least.

I asked about parts for my own build and was informed he no longer sells "parts".

I asked about 3 changes to his Wand brand Phaser host.

1. NUMB06 diode (not a problem if I provided it)

2. Blackbuck 8M so I would have a multi setting power to go with multi settings on the toy control. (non-comital)

3. Adjustable focus. (Add $400 for custom machining one part)

There are others on this forum that are willing to essentially "Team Up" with you to get a build done.

No sense flooding a busy engineer with business he doesn't seem to appreciate.

I have been inspired to compete with "jon lussier" by producing Phaser as well as other gun style hosts of my own.

Now I just need to build my first one :whistle:

GSS

Said very tasteful Aaron,
Agreed he's very reserved and has put his whole retirement into building props for a "profit"!
Has a the goodies of lathes mills etc. etc. etc.
I thought he was nuts to take apart a Wand phaser, mine will always be as is in the box.
Yup he won't tell his secrets but basicly he just stuffs as much heat sinking as he can in his phaser builds and expeirments with high powered diodes.
What is your phaser of choice? I like the Diamond Select brand that is really close to real prop. Not to much room and the P1 is removable that some don't like.
You can though fit 2 10440's in the handle with a little work for the diode and use the button cells in the P1 for the sound board.
If you have seen "Federation Phaser by Tony" he makes many metal replacement parts and one good one is the AL nozzle that can work as a heat sink.
I just also got a few Rubie phasers, the one's that are all blue and orange but nothing that paint wouldn't fix, there's a ton of room inside and the handle holds 2 AAA's.

Last edited:

AaronT

I want the Wand for a true "Real Phaser" feel along with the box. It is the only one that doesn't look like a toy. I even found a thin flexy usb solar panel and charger that could be slipped under the foam in the box for a full self contained charging unit.

The Diamond/Art Asylem is much less expensive, the internal electrics are compact.
The real advantage with this is a build video by jon lussier https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHeCroLoLjY

The Plamates version has the most potential room inside. There is a hot option as well as parts right here on the forum. http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/fs-star-trek-phaser-hot-option-individual-parts-46946.html I think I could build a double diode PBS array small enough to stuff in this host but the existing electrics may not fit (speaker). It may require upgrading the guts to more compact components.

Also I have found a tidy 2x18650 battery box that is a perfect swap for the narrow (for my size L hands) handle. I want to use it on the wand if it doesn't look to cheesy and I can fab up the parts so it attaches and detaches like the original.

On the Playmates and Diamond/Asylem you just hack the old handle off dress the cut and glue the new one in place.

That way your not stuck with 10440s and such.

AaronT

Only $400 to add adjustable focus, sounds fair to me. :eek: What is he smoking?

He is a retired engineer with a machine shop that thinks his labor is worth the peak of what he made per/hr during his working years.

Hence why I plan to compete with him.

Who wants a puny 3.5w Wand Phaser powered by 2x10440s with fixed focus for $900 when you can get one with 7 watts, multiple power levels to match the sound/settings dial, adjustable focus and 2x18650 batteries for less?

Or options for a BDR-205 405nm.

Or a Playmates version that has a PBS combiner system for 2 diodes of your choice...

I'm not stopping with phasers either.

Last edited:
Well I mean if you've got the balls to ask for $400 an hour (couldn't take much longer than an hour, depends on how he makes it) then I also need to get whatever he's smoking :crackup: Seriously that's a crazy price. If you do want one created you should ask LPF first.

GSS is the expert on phaser builds around here, I'd PM him with any questions ;)

Other than that TNG was an awesome series:D

Last edited:

GSS

If you remember are old friend Steve Wall with his "secret heat sink" jon lussier is miles above Steve but still can't see $3000 for a big sink, a NUM44 diode and a $30 toy.
EP thanks for the compliment but i'm no expert and actually build of my coffee table:eek:

Last edited:
I've actually started a Playmates phaser build that I got for free. Put a Mits 500 diode in it. My heat sink looks a lot like JayRobs version. And I ended up having to make an aluminum nose cone for it when I tried drilling out the acrylic one and twisted it. The speaker is way oversized, and takes up a lot of room. Also the trigger switch is garbage. I got pretty far on the build, but it took a backseat to a lumia build that I'm investing my time into now.

GSS

I've actually started a Playmates phaser build that I got for free. Put a Mits 500 diode in it. My heat sink looks a lot like JayRobs version. And I ended up having to make an aluminum nose cone for it when I tried drilling out the acrylic one and twisted it. The speaker is way oversized, and takes up a lot of room. Also the trigger switch is garbage. I got pretty far on the build, but it took a backseat to a lumia build that I'm investing my time into now.
No No phaser first:(
Your so close and would like to see the nose cone. Iv'e seen a build where someone moved the speaker back a bit for more room in that Playmates:)

joeyss

There's a company called PhaZer and they make stun guns a few look just like the TNG phaser for $600. I lol'd when i seen that.

No No phaser first:(
Your so close and would like to see the nose cone. Iv'e seen a build where someone moved the speaker back a bit for more room in that Playmates:)

I'm think of jumping back on the phaser while I wait for lumia parts.

GSS, if you PM me your email, I can send you some pics. I've been having trouble sending pics through the forum on my phone, as the internet at my house is dead at the moment.