Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Has any purchased the O-Like High Power 500mW 532nm green laser?

I was interested in O-Like's High Power 500mW 532nm green laser torch /crystal isolation stab and was wondering if anyone has purchased this laser. It is $70 cheaper than Jet Lasers PL-E mini 500mW 532nm green laser and has better specs. I know the build quality will be lower, but it claims to have better divergence and operates at a lower temperature. I have purchased other lasers from O-Like and they were as described (divergence, power and operating temperature). I read another thread were someone posted asking about this laser, but only people that commented on the thread did not have any experience with the laser and I could not find any reviews about this laser.

Link bellow:
High Power 500mW 532nm green laser torch /crystal isolation stab [OL-SH-500] - $179.99 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce

I bought a similar unit from them a long time ago (it may have been the same, I no longer have it or I'd share more detail). Beam quality was typical for a cheap high power dpss laser. Fatter beam for better divergence. I never had a jetlasers 532... But I did have a 473 from them and its divergence was superior. Take it for what it's worth...

Also, as you guessed the build quality is lower and thus it will have a lower run time than the jetlasers option before it gets too hot for the crystals to operate optimally. Duty cycle was about a minute - minute and a half on for it to start dipping in power.

However, it was by no means a bad laser. I personally would spend the extra 70 for a better duty cycle, but it shouldn't be a make it or break it deal.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS

GSS

Good to know.:)
How was the unstable was it within the first 30 to 45 seconds before it dipped at a minute and a have. When you mean similar was it the one you had close to 500mw?

Thanks for the replies guys. Good point Alaskan about the beam expander being available. O-Like doesn't even mention if the beam can be focused or not. Another good point about the duty cycle will be lower, but Jet Laser doesn't even quote the duty cycle for the PL-E mini. Also, the point about the beam being wider to get a better divergence might not hold out in this case, since Jet Lasers quotes 2.5mm beam diameter with <2mRad divergence and O-Like quotes 1.5mm beam diameter (smaller) and <1.5mRad divergence. Jet Laser also says the beam diameter is adjustable, but I don't know what they mean by that.

Good to know.:)
How was the unstable was it within the first 30 to 45 seconds before it dipped at a minute and a have. When you mean similar was it the one you had close to 500mw?

had better, had worse. It would usually take the first 30 seconds to hop around to full power. Similar being either the same laser, or an older model. Both were 500mW and both were silver. I didn't keep it too long since I had a custom one built around the same time. Power was usually sit around 450mW when stable, which was close enough for me.

Edit: didn't mean to submit

Thanks for the replies guys. Good point Alaskan about the beam expander being available. O-Like doesn't even mention if the beam can be focused or not. Another good point about the duty cycle will be lower, but Jet Laser doesn't even quote the duty cycle for the PL-E mini. Also, the point about the beam being wider to get a better divergence might not hold out in this case, since Jet Lasers quotes 2.5mm beam diameter with <2mRad divergence and O-Like quotes 1.5mm beam diameter (smaller) and <1.5mRad divergence. Jet Laser also says the beam diameter is adjustable, but I don't know what they mean by that.

I'd lean against the O-like measurements being correct. 1.5mm beam on a 500mW unit almost guarantees its divergence being no good due to the crystal/power requirements to reach that power. Though I've been out of the loop on DPSS modules for a few years now so maybe the technology is better now than I'm used to

Last edited:
Jet Laser also says the beam diameter is adjustable, but I don't know what they mean by that.

What could it mean? Think about it. A PhD ain't required. If that doesn't work take a close look at their photos.

I would be inclined to buy the module and put it in my own host. The extra $20.00 for the laser is not enough for a module that puts out over 2 watts of pump power. This laser likely has a very short run time regardless of their 100 second claim. Also, O-Like is notorious for being slow to get your item to you, so be aware of that.

Benm

Yeah, basically don't buy -any- DPSS laser that has a duty cycle (i.e. incapable of continuous operation). This means that something overheats over time and could cause damage which is bad enough.

But it also means that the relative temperature of pump diode, laser and doubler crystal (combo) are not stable during operations. This often results in laser pointers where the green output varies (sometimes wildly) over run time and ambient temperature.

I'm not sure what their 'isolation' thing is here...

Not that o-like sells really bad products or anything, i've ordered lower power (50-100 mW) 532's from them in the past, and those were in or sometimes even exceeding spec, but only in a very narrow case temperature window.

Reactions: GSS
Steve perhaps if you did have a PhD in optical physic you might understand it could mean many things. I am not sure if they are talking about internal focus or they mean the beam diameter could be changed by buying an external beam expander. There are several other options and the pictures did not make it clear to me. That is why I posted on this forum to ask if anyone actually owned this O-Like laser so I would not have to guess about it. I have purchased lasers from O-Like and they were as described at a low end price point. They did take from 4 to 6 weeks to reach Canada, but they all still work and the build quality was not that bad. A lot of that shipping time was also not O-Like's fault as it gets stuck at the border in Vancouver a long time. Many other companies that charge a lot more for shipping took as long a time and waited before even shipping the item.

For example their Golden 2W 445nm laser had a nice heavy host, which did not seem to overheat (still working fine). It was not a seamless host like my Sanwu lasers, but it was not bad for $65 dollars.

Last edited:
Shipping time depends a lot on the type of shipping you get. I received two drivers from Opt Lasers in mainland China in one day going through both their and our customs by using DHL Express shipping. The longest I had to wait for an item shipped from China with DHL Expess was less than four days.

Do you have a LPM? I have doubts about that 2 watt claim for a 445nm laser from O-Like. That is really the only way you can tell. It could be 70% of what they claim and you would never know.

You could be right Paul about the power of my Golden 2W 445nm O-like laser (Although I would be surprised if it were even 50% lower at the speed it sets things on fire). I was only comparing it against similar 445nm lasers I own that have been measured by others (and here on the forums). Also, Canadian customs do seem to give priority to the couriers like DHL and leave the Chinese e-packets to sit and gather dust. Canada post also loses money on Chinese mail delivery and so they also give Chinese mail low priority.

The reason I believe it could be 70% of what they claim is because it likely uses the Nichia diode we never got the correct part number for and just call it by the projector it has been pulled from mostly, the M140. But, to give you 2 watts out it would need a good short focal length aspheric lens. Those are more expensive than the three element lenses that will give you up to 30% less power. That is likely what it is using. You really can't tell the difference between a 1500 mW laser and a 2000 mW one by burning ability or by brightness. So, it isn't just a wild guess.

Benm

You could only tell with a meter instead, even if you have a laser of known and confirmed power in the same range, comparing them side by side can be difficult. A narrow beam with lower total power may look brighter than a wide one, and also have worse divergence.

And there is also the case to be made for stating the diode optical output power rather than what comes out after some specific, interchangeable, lens. After all these laser units can in theory run without any lens, so not have any losses from the lens system, though they'd be more like impractical flashlights if you did.

Hi-as someone (possibly( interested in a 200-500 mW 532 nm-does O-Like use a good IR filter?
With upwards of 2 W of IR I'd want to know before buying. I don't have an LPM or an IR filter to test

GSS

What could it mean? Think about it. A PhD ain't required. If that doesn't work take a close look at their photos.
Steve, you are one irritating dude:whistle: and always. You could of just given an answer instead of being the usual sarcastic jerk. Oh you must be the life of the party:rolleyes:

Pelagius, I don't know if they use IR filters?? Iv'e recently took a peak at "Discord" and they are mentioning O- like is having logging on issues but you can try reaching O-like.

Last edited: