Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hand half-polished host!

Hi LPF,

As some of you know I recently did a build with this host (HERE), but my relative broke it by twisting the head instead of the focusing ring :yabbem: I also tested the host to see if it re-usable, and surprisingly the switch was also broken by the pins of the driver twisting inside. So I took out the switch and fixed it :D, but I'm am a perfectionist, and there was some small scratches on the host which was simply unacceptable for me. I decided I would polish the host by HAND as I don't have the tools to polish it, and started sanding it first with a 60 Grit, then 120 and then 240. Now I don't know if I should go for a higher grit because this also looks great. Here is the results:

IMG_1756_zpsbcb5cace.jpg

IMG_1758_zps7b6163a7.jpg

IMG_1761_zps3567870a.jpg

IMG_1762_zpseddc7686.jpg

IMG_1760_zps647ed2ca.jpg

What is your thoughts, should I go for the higher grit and get it close to a mirror-like finish (hopefully)? I decided to keep the head and tailcap red as they will compliment the red laser :D Thanks for looking!

Last edited:

Looks cool as it is. If you go for finer grit and polish, like mirror polish, it'll just become a fingerprint magnet, not to mention every single ding and dent from normal usage will become 5x more visible.

If you go for mirror polish, make sure to go for clear anodizing layer to protect the host as well.

^Thank you! Means a lot coming from THE machinist of the forum! Do you think I should go for maybe just a bit finer grit to get just a little more shine?

Heh thanks,

Well I usually finish the face of the heatsinks with 800grit, the sandpaper of the type you use along with water, you know?

It's fine "smooth" like finish without being mirror-like or reflexive too much, so it's a good compromise between nice finish and visibility of scratches.

If you got 800grit, try it, if not, no big deal, host looks great either way! :beer:

Let us all know how it turns out for you.

Should be really nice. Also, some beamage, you know. Can't post laser pics without some lasing :D

Still need to instal the laser itself, this still is just a bare host. Sadly a relative broke it (before this) so time for revival of the laser!