Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Guide Rod Lasers- firearms

hi i am new, I use google translator to write this post, sorry.

I want to build this. is for me not to sell.

lasermax-recoilroad-laser1.jpg

sinttulogcl.png

laser-callouts.jpg

where I can buy the necessary products? I want quality products.

it is better to buy the complete laser module? or better by parts: diode, lens, drivers, etc..

structure to accommodate the laser is already built

sinttuloffu.jpg

Thanks for your patience

it is better to buy complete do finished product. it will cost you less than to build it yourself.

ARG

These gun lasers are usually 400$+ IIRC, so it may end up being cheaper to DIY.

@OP
Do not but a complete module as most are over 7.5mm in diameter, you'll have to get something like this made custom on the lathe, including the diode module.
For the driver you probably want a buck driver if using 4x button cells, Lazeerer has small sized buck drivers.
Diode can be bought from DTR (Single mode 638nm is probably your best best)
For the lens you'll probably have to get a bare G-1 lens and a custom barrel for it as well.

Last edited:
it is better to buy complete do finished product. it will cost you less than to build it yourself.

Good point. Those guide rod lasers for pistols are filled with PFB (Telfon)
to make the circuitry withstand the kinds of forces exerted when a pistol discharges. Milling anything out of Teflon is not only difficult at this size but it's also quite expensive as well to obtain. Teflon doesn't usually come in small rounds either. :undecided:
I nearly picked one of these guide rod lasers for my S&P 9mm up from a supplier in Victoria in October 2011, but saw that they were $$$! .. yikes.
At that price an external 532nm 120mW /200mW looks cheap by comparison.

Last edited:
I do not think these small modules can survive the force of firing a gun.

Do you have access to lathe, or CNC machine?

The best way to go is to make your own module out of very strong metal. I think Stainless steel may be good (like other member said, Teflon is very hard to find).

You need to make a module that can have diode on one side, and lens on other.

Diode itself is 5.6mm in diameter. Lens is usually 6 mm wide (bare optic piece).
Diode is pressed into the hole with a vice.

Problem is focusing. You need to have the lens at precise distance from diode. In our lasers we usually have lens in a thread, so you can screw them in or out (bring it closer or farther from diode) to set your focus.

This will be very large problem in a firearm. You need fixed focus, and you need to calculate it, and make it very precisely, otherwise your beam will be out of focus and not good for targeting.

This is a very difficult project you are trying. There are other problems as well - what kind of batteries will you use? How do you know they can survive the force of firing a gun? What about the circuit that regulates current, what if the components are not strong enough? What if something goes wrong and you need to disassemble it?

And in the end, what if you make it work, but it turns out not to be precise, it doesn't point accurately to where the bullet hits?

It could be a very frustrating project. I wish you best of luck, but maybe you wish to try to build some other, easier lasers first? You can try this one later when you have more experience.

are you building this for a 92 like in the pic? if not, the model of pistol would help a bit.

for .40 or 9mm or anything with snappy quick recoil like that i think you are going to have a hard time making it stand up to more than a few shots.

a heavier pistol with a smoother recoil like a full sized m1911 or relatively large framed or hefty .380 acp might be easier to build for. not to mention dimensions for the rods will vary greatly from model to model.

FWIW if you aren't dead set on a guide rod laser, a trigger guard mount is a lot cheaper and because of the lower mounting point will take less punishment and be easier to build for.

I actually had a guide rod laser i found on sale at a local store for my 92, and the darn thing was near worthless. will see if i can find it, and get the brand name for you.