Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

GUIDE: I want my first laser!

diachi

What's wrong with ultrafire? I just bought some because I read, I think here, that they are way better than ebay batteries.

They are essentially eBay batteries. Often can't meet claimed specs, have lower capacity, higher internal resistance, lower lifetime etc.

What's wrong with ultrafire? I just bought some because I read, I think here, that they are way better than ebay batteries.

I too have used ultrafire li-ions and haven't had a problem, still asking that question myself. The only thing I've seen are batteries filled with sand but I'm not sure if that even happens anymore. Sure there are better and more high quality batteries out there, but my Nissan will do fine, no need for a Lexus.

I often just use laptop pulls for my 18650s.

Sta

I too have used ultrafire li-ions and haven't had a problem, still asking that question myself. The only thing I've seen are batteries filled with sand but I'm not sure if that even happens anymore. Sure there are better and more high quality batteries out there, but my Nissan will do fine, no need for a Lexus.

I often just use laptop pulls for my 18650s.

Actually I did measure the weight of one of my Ultrafires and found that it probably is filled with sand. But I'll have to disassemble it later to make sure of that.

Reactions: GSS
Ultrafires were actually hard to find, but easier than the AW according to my research. Oh well. I'm using 10440, so a bit hard to find anyway.

After reading this thread below and soon after I joined the forum, I got rid of all my cheap Ultrafire batteries.

http://laserpointerforums.com/f67/w...trafire-after-seeing-87108-2.html#post1325099

Have a look at what I found when I opened mine up, they were full of some sort of sandy white powder ....

Ultra-Fire-1.jpg

Ultra-Fire-2.jpg

:tsk:

RB

GSS

Just about what everyone said,
When you also don't know what's inside them that's scarey as ****fires are usually re rapped laptop pulls or just plain made garbage full of possibly sand.
Iv'e bought even the plain all blue 18650's and took a dead one apart and found that it was actually a well winded layered and built battery but still it came DOA, so it had run its course but it's partner still works?
Not knowing what's under that rap should be a turn off though.
I still use the ***fires like other's mention in some 301 pointer's which I think their fine and still might use some in stronger builds once in a while but usually with the ***fires that I have put through some paces and "got to know them"??

Last edited:
They are crap. I would have been better off using the much easier to find much cheaper brand from ebay (for the sake of saving money). They came with the expected storage charge 3.87v, I'm very experienced with lithium batteries of many sizes, and these only took about 25mAh in the charge to 4.2v at a rate of 0.1A because at 0.3A they reached full in less than 1 minute. That's already a bad sign. They show a lot of sag after a few minutes of use too. I turn the laser on and in 2 seconds I almost can't see the beam with glasses on. I should probably wait untill I see how much they take in a charge from empty before being certain they are crap. They do work though.

Last edited:
True, I get a lot of voltage sag in my 250mW laser. Their voltage is just weird compared to any lipo I've seen. They don't like holding over 4.05v fully charged, they sit around 3.87-3.4v when almost full to empty with under load voltage of 3.6-3v. I emptied them pretty well while being on the safe side, and charged at only 0.1A because their voltage easily gets high at even 0.3A. I only got about 120mAh into each. It seems near impossible to find good 10440s

GSS

Just noticed another thing with cheapo battery's.
All my good ones such as LG's and Efest's etc. aren't protected so I can't compare.
Protected battery's usually use a metal strip or what not down the side from "pos" to "neg" under the wrapper?
One 4 pack batch of "GTL" 16340's only has one battery with this noticeable "little flat" bulge that were bought and are marked protected.
Same for a few 16340's Ultrafires.
Other than the overlap of the wrapping itself I can't feel a thing.
Of my 2 18650 protected Ultrafires there is a noticeable strip.
Not that I ever run them low but:thinking: but does Ultrafire's and other cheapie's even scam you out of so called protected battery's??

Last edited:
I assume it is a means of measuring voltage of the battery for protection purposes, so it doesn't get a wrong voltage reading in a series circuit.

A couple questions:

Does the Sanwu 304 have any sort of low-power mode? If not, are there any models with output lower than 50mw that Im just not seeing?

Alternatively, what would the best 532 or 405 5-15mw, that accepts easily available pattern caps?

diachi

A couple questions:

Does the Sanwu 304 have any sort of low-power mode? If not, are there any models with output lower than 50mw that Im just not seeing?

No, and no.

Alternatively, what would the best 532 or 405 5-15mw, that accepts easily available pattern caps?

Perhaps someone can build something custom for you? Or perhaps someone knows of something that is actually that low in power, and not just advertised as being that low.

See answers in red.

Maybe contact Sanwu, perhaps they have some "304" pointers around that are way under-spec that they don't have listed?

I got my pocket laser because of the "<10mw" now listed as <5mw multi function option. But it is easy to cycle through higher power settings, so not a sure fire low power each time you use it.

Appreciate it Diachi, Im planning to shoot Sanwu an email on the pocket and guardian as well.

I got my pocket laser because of the "<10mw" now listed as <5mw multi function option. But it is easy to cycle through higher power settings, so not a sure fire low power each time you use it.

Wow, I didnt even look if the Guardian or Pocket had a low-power mode...

Ive been looking for something I can both use outside at night and use inside safely without glasses and the Laserbtb/Skytech offerings weren't really appealing to me, this is perfect. Guess they arent the only dual-power anymore despite saying so!

Since Ive never used a defractor/kaleidescope cap on anything over IIIa Im guessing 50mw would still definitely be unsafe without eye pro with one attached? That pointer model is still looking amazing for the price and it would certainly be stunning to show off if that level of dispersion allowed for safe display without glasses.

Its a bit stunning to me that 50 and 100mw are recommended for presentations... I remember when that was still near the upper end for portable lasers! I suppose thats assuming a large auditorium with good distance from the viewers and source?

Last edited:
50-100mW is good for long distances in brighter lighting. I think the Pocket series low power feature is on the red version only, but I'd think they could add it to any color since they claim their large models have the 5 mode feature. I'd be cautious assuming definitely safe for 50-100mW even with shaping lenses. The red 250mW is safe enough to cycle through power modes without glasses if pointed 10ft away or so at a wall away from shiny stuff, and especially when focused to a huge dot. Just be careful because it can change to a higher power mode unexpectedly next time you turn it on. I Asuume the power levels per mode are: <5-10mW, Half power, full strobe, full power, full SOS flash. Even the low power setting has proved to be twice as bright as a cheap <5mw and is good for normal pointing.