Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Grocery store lasers

sooo... does anyone know the mw's of the barcode scanners in the grocery stores???
and does it have to be a red laser or could they use green or blue, or a different color laser (or an ir)

i doubt its any above 5mw because i looked right at one before for some reason and it left no mark on my eye, They are red because that is the cheapest except ir but if they used ir then the people scanning wouldnt be able to see the line and it would be much harder.

....lazer.... ;D ;D ;D

it would be cool though if they had them with like blue or green lasers instead, they would probably disapear tho...
and i think one would magically find its way into my bag...

Krutz

they are harmless, propably class1, since its a wide line, and scanned. in fact several lines, and goes through several optics too. the diode itself wont have more than 5mw i guess.
earlier they had small he-ne tubes, i would really like to get one.. small tube, with integrated powersupply as well.

strangely, there arent really useful he-ne tubes with psu on ebay for normal prices..

homework:
watch for barcode-scanners with strange orange-red lasercolor, instead of the normal (660nm) red.

manuel

Class 1 laser devices don't emit any radiation that could come in contact with you at all. CD players for example are class 1. Most high power lasers can be made into class 1 devices.

so who wants to buy one and install a green laser if possible????
just to see what it would look like

H

High_Octane

shreknow91 said:
so who wants to buy one and install a green laser if possible????
just to see what it would look like

it would look like a green line. ;)
Here is what the insides of a bar code scanner looks like, minus the LD.

The mirror is moved back and forth by a pulsed electromagnet to create the line width.

Attachments

• barcodescanner2.jpg
    barcodescanner2.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 255
when i was talking about the scanners i meant the ones at the main check out station thing
you know the thing that the cashiers run the barcode over
its ok if u dont know what im talking about
or
if im wrong and its the same thing
but i was looking at one today and it looked like it had 2 ld's

Kenom

Yep they are all talkin bout the same thing shreknow91. Barcode scanners used to come with He-Ne laser tubes initially and the picture just above your last post is one example of the guts. Each scanner is different and your not going to see every one here. I like the one's that generate multiple lines like a box filled with webs.

H

High_Octane

Kenom said:
Yep they are all talkin bout the same thing shreknow91. Barcode scanners used to come with He-Ne laser tubes initially and the picture just above your last post is one example of the guts. Each scanner is different and your not going to see every one here. I like the one's that generate multiple lines like a box filled with webs.

Yea the pic was to give a general idea of how they work. Not to many people have one to tear apart.
I also like the multi beam scanners, I have been caught staring at them during the checkout process. I'll bet they thought I was a bit strange. :)