Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Greetings from the Netherlands.

Hello guys, my name is Dominik and I'm 16 years old. I live in the Netherlands. A couple of weeks ago, I started the idea that I want to make my own laser pointer starting with 100mW or so. I thought it wouldn't be that hard, so I had a couple of Dvd-drives that I disassembled. But the diode's didn't survive. First one fried (didn't knew at that time that you shouldn't hook them up directely to a power supply :) ) second broke, because it didn't seem to get out of the heatsink.

So I bought a couple of days ago, a Aixiz 5mW housing and a Xbox 360 HD DVD DRIVE 405nm Diode LASER LENS PHR-803T. Lets see if this time I can extract the diode.

My question is: What would be the result if I extract the diode, and solder it to the driver already inside the Aixiz laser housing? Would I get a nice laser, for a start, or would the laser be the same as the 5mW one. Would you see the laser beam?

Kindest Regards,

Dominik

cust11

Hello guys, my name is Dominik and I'm 16 years old. I live in the Netherlands. A couple of weeks ago, I started the idea that I want to make my own laser pointer starting with 100mW or so. I thought it wouldn't be that hard, so I had a couple of Dvd-drives that I disassembled. But the diode's didn't survive. First one fried (didn't knew at that time that you shouldn't hook them up directely to a power supply :) ) second broke, because it didn't seem to get out of the heatsink.

So I bought a couple of days ago, a Aixiz 5mW housing and a Xbox 360 HD DVD DRIVE 405nm Diode LASER LENS PHR-803T. Lets see if this time I can extract the diode.

My question is: What would be the result if I extract the diode, and solder it to the driver already inside the Aixiz laser housing? Would I get a nice laser, for a start, or would the laser be the same as the 5mW one. Would you see the laser beam?

Kindest Regards,

Dominik

Welcome to the forum! To start, you could possibly reuse the driver that is already in your module, although you will still want to use a dummy load and get the current so you don't toast your PHR-803T diode! There is a ton of information regarding bluray builds. Take a look in the bluray forum and try to gather as much info as you can.

-Mike

Thx, mike. But how can I fry my diode if the driver's output is only 5mW. And isn't 5mW to little for a blu-day diode?

Kindest Regards,

Dominik

cust11

Thx, mike. But how can I fry my diode if the driver's output is only 5mW. And isn't 5mW to little for a blu-day diode?

Kindest Regards,

Dominik

Most cheaper laser diode/drivers are overspec, and iirc all bluray diodes require a different voltage than reds/greens. Look around the bluray forum, you will find all of your answers there.

-Mike