Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Greetings from Texas and Qs!

moontower

Hey Laser Pointer Forums! I'm a new member and looking to get my first higher power laser pointer (>5mw). I'd generally just use it for star gazing (not burning). I'd prefer a green laser pointer that has a momentary push button (not constant on). I'm looking at three laser pointers at the moment. Interestingly they go up in price as mW decreases. What do you guys think? The three laser pointers are the following:

200mW Rechargeable Green Laser Pointer Beam Light Single-point Black (found on laserpointerpro website) I like the simple USB charging & small form factor. $25
80mW Sanwu 304 Green Laser Pointer w/ charger and li-ion battery (found on sanwulasers website) I've heard good things about Sanwu, maybe not the 304? $42
75mW Optotronics Premium Green Laser Pointer (found on optotronics website) I think they're IR shielded? Safety is a big pro for me. Highest cost though. $125

Safety does mean a lot to me and I am slightly intimidated by the cheap 200mw laser pointer. On the other hand, the $125 Optotronic is near the top of my budget.
Will looking at the dot of one of these when used on walls indoor, and without glasses, be dangerous?
And to be fair, I realize these three are pretty different, if you guys have any other recommendations I'd appreciate those too.

Great to have you here--There are some great members here in Texas--I am south of houston along with a few others but only Displaser and myself are very active.. Some awesome members near DFW-- where the next TEXLEM may happen.

WE have been trying to hold another meet since TEXLEM 2012-- and for a first real TEXLEM it was epic.. pop-up LEMs count but never get ,many attendees. If you would like to meet with some of us I will PM you as early as I can. Last few gatherings were at resturants.
WE have members here that sell good eye protection-- I am a believer in buying from here(LPF) when I can. Your choices are good except the 532--LPpro does not have a great rep but better than the 'others'--- but Optotronics is high priced--but there are very good.
I am a 'rep' for JETLASERS so I favor them but Sanwu is another great maker. make threads in BS&T-- so you could make as WTB thread to se if any members are selling what you need once you have enough good posts you will be able to make thread there. We have that 'rule' to help keep the spammers away.

Most Tx members own meters and we all would be very happy to meter any of your lasers anytime. Let me know where in Tx you are and I will give you username of members local to you--if there are any.--Your intro thread was very well done . Too many come here and never post an intro or some make a VERY short one-many times no location or much else -- our last forum was better about this-- our locations were shown under our avatars and every time we posted. This makes adding that in the intro thread more important in this 'newish' forum.

WELCOME fellow texan--Len in Brazoria

Encap

Welcome--enjoy the forum

Avoid like the plague laserpointerpro--the misrepresent most everything they resell and overcharge double retail price or more for everything they offer---that laser is under $10 retail price everywhere else.

The Sanwu is only $20--you can get a good 18650 battery for less than $10 from several place ---additionally Sanwu can't ship the laser with the battery==you can get the same Panasonic battery from a real deal battery seller $4.96 here https://liionwholesale.com/collecti...mah-flat-top-wholesale-lot?variant=1076987260

Optotronics 532nm pens are excellent quality if you have to have that form factor but pricey.

If size doesn't matter get a JetLasers PL-E Pro Mini 200mW for $169 https://www.jetlasers.org/index.php?id_product=72&controller=product

moontower

Thanks for the responses! The PL-E Pro Mini looks like something I'd be interested in in the future, but it's more than I want to spend right now. The Sanwu 304 is pretty affordable, I wonder if they come with IR filters? I'll email them about that.

I looked up TEXLEM and that looks awesome! Your planned meet up last year looked like it would have been a lot of fun. I'll definitely look out for that. I wouldn't mind driving up to DFW.

If I end up with some affordable lasers I might like to get them checked. I'm in the Austin area.

Welcome to the Forum moontower...
It is actually not interesting that higher true power
Lasers cost more. It is logical.

Enjoy your stay and don't forget to get some Laser
Safety Goggles/Glasses for the Laser you get.

Jerry

Welcome to LPF

Check out the 505, 515 and 520nm direct single mode lasers, nice beams and no mode hop, less temp sensitivity and they don't drop output as easily as dpss 532's .......typically much better longevity as well, I have a small mountain of dead dpss.........granted if you want a Gaussian beam dpss is the way to go but for star pointing I like the directs.