Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Green vs Yellow DPSS question

Monado

I am curious as to how a green laser and yellow laser can both be pumped with an 808nm diode and use a YAG crystal. So my question is, how can Nd: YAG lasers have so many different possible final wavelengths?

If I weren't at work I could explain more thoroughly...

Short/easy version - There are different IR wavelengths (look up spectral lines) YAG produces, and can be fine tuned with coatings (that act as mirrors) to amplify specific lines.

The 532nm greenies have yag coated to use the 1064nm line, and the 589s have yag coated to use both 1064nm and 1319nm, which can be combined in a way.

1/((1/A)+(1/B))

In my sig there's a link to a Google doc I made with a lot of possible combinations.

-

If someone wants to give a more technical explanation please do

-Z

Nd doped YAG has not only spectral output lines, but absorption lines as well. 808nm is a main one and like Zach said, the HR and OC coatings as well as AR coatings will define how the crystal will emit. You also need an additional crystal, like KTP, to give you SHG (second harmonic generation) in the case of 532nm DPSS lasers. There are many other crystals that are use for sum frequency generation. It is an involved subject that if you are truly interested in, look at Sam's Laser FAQs.

Last edited: