Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Green laser spot being orange on orange surface

Here's the picture of the unused orange glowstick being pumped by my 520nm laser, and orange light was a bit too bright for my phone camera. XD

*** Added one more picture, with the laser goggle in front of my RAZR M's camera, and it have filtered out good precentage of green laser, leaving behind intense Helium-Neon red light from the dye in glow stick.

Attachments

• tmp_IMG_20140224_060457_9931952703939.jpg
    tmp_IMG_20140224_060457_9931952703939.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 133
  • tmp_IMG_20140224_062014_082-381146801.jpg
    tmp_IMG_20140224_062014_082-381146801.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:

KabaT

I was only dealing with low power lasers so I dont have any glasses for protection. And on my university they said that they wont give us glasses because then we would not see the light and couldnt properly adjust some devices.

Which one should I buy?

That depends. How much do you value your vision? How much money do you have to spend? The
least expensive glasses that work are sold by Survival Laser. They are "cheap" glasses, but at least
they offer some protection for your vision. The AixiZ ones are purported to be a little better. The really
good ones start at around $150.

http://laserpointerforums.com/f53/o-like-84682.html

KabaT

That depends. How much do you value your vision? How much money do you have to spend? The
least expensive glasses that work are sold by Survival Laser. They are "cheap" glasses, but at least
they offer some protection for your vision. The AixiZ ones are purported to be a little better. The really
good ones start at around $150.

I can pay 150$ if they will be good. I want not some protection but safe protection.

If the laser you work at university is over 5mW, then I am going to question the teacher's ambition. If anyone gets blinded at the college from some high powered laser, then it's the lawsuits the university should be worried about. I would vote the requirements of laser goggles, you would still be able to see dim laser dot with the paper while following it around the breadboard optics.

KabaT

Well, I think same as you. I don't know the reasons for that.
We used 20mW red lasers most of the time, and also for a short time we did some with 120mW blue laser. Blue one was accompanied by several mirrors, some with 50% passing and 50% reflecting. That was a bit scary I must say.

I would agree that blue laser is much more scarier. It's not its output power that is of concerns, but rather the photonic property - namely shorter wavelength. Infrared laser can and do cause damages, however it's thermal. Blue or UV, on other hands, causes photochemical damage in your eyes - cateract or the UV burned retina which none are pretty. That's good that you do have healthy respect for them regardless of the teacher's general opinions about them.

Green plants, including their fruits, fluoresce a deep red. It is highly visible when viewing the leaves through your safety goggles; the glasses block the intended laser light, but pass the red fluorescence. It's really interesting to see it in action. I'm pretty sure the fluorescence isn't caused by chlorophyll, but rather whatever substances makes the leaves turn red when the chlorophyll is lost.

Garlic salts I have in cupboard fluorescence orange / red when viewed with laser goggle - backing Marco Polo's suggestion about trying that on plant with laser goggle on, and guess what? Even your skin do fluorescence. It's easier to find out with the laser goggles for couple of reasons, namely the total obscurity of the laser light at the plastic / glass filter's wavelength cutoff. You also would have better luck with 50mW green laser than 5mW ones due to absorption chance at specific power level - just don't use crazy powerful laser (100mW+ or higher), your eyeballs and your house are much more valuable.

Last edited:
I have acquired and tested (then eaten) a cucumber. The results are in. A raw cucumber does not
fluoresce in the same way a pickle does. At 440nm, there is very little observable fluorescence to be seen
without safety glasses (low power). The pickling process must either change something chemically or add
a substance which exhibits the fluorescence. I would study it in more detail if I knew where to begin, but
as much fun as it is to think otherwise, I am no scientist.

Well first off star with salt. That is the basis of the process that.magically produces PICKLES! Salt Water actually.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk