Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

green laser, IR warning

• Thread starter Deleted member 16589
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16589

I just bought some green lasers on eBay for $1 each.
I bought them for a projector I am making
wile examining them I noticed there was no IR filter
so I filtered out the green from the beam and using a IR detector card I noticed there was a lot of Ir left
Even with the green filter out I could feel heat from from the I on mi lip :huh:

Well with spending only a buck on a laser I guess you can't complain too much. If it is that important I would get a IR filter but if you are using them in a scanner I wouldn't worry about it. The IR is nowhere near as culminated as the green and will be diffused enough to not cause too much trouble especially using them in a scanner.

I just bought some green lasers on eBay for $1 each.
I bought them for a projector I am making
wile examining them I noticed there was no IR filter
so I filtered out the green from the beam and using a IR detector card I noticed there was a lot of Ir left
Even with the green filter out I could feel heat from from the I on mi lip :huh:

Are you sure? It would require a LOT of IR for you to feel it on your lip... I would estimate at least 250mW with decent collimation.
808nm is not absorbed by skin as much as 532nm or 405nm.

You can estimate how much power the pump is outputting by measuring the current input.
What is the advertised power level of these modules?

D

Deleted member 16589

Are you sure? It would require a LOT of IR for you to feel it on your lip... I would estimate at least 250mW with decent collimation.
808nm is not absorbed by skin as much as 532nm or 405nm.

You can estimate how much power the pump is outputting by measuring the current input.
What is the advertised power level of these modules?

on a part of your lower lip is a sensitive spot where you can feel heat from 10 mW of power

and I have a couple of filters and already glued one on :yh: