Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Green Labbie (Pics)

Re: Building a laser - some questions

Sure, just use a big nut, like a lug nut with a hole as close to the module size as possible.

No disrespect TJ, but.....

The question burning in my mind right now is, virtually all nuts are standard size, meaning (thread spacing irrelevant) fractional inch or MM (2/8, 5/16, etc...)

Drills are offered in the same exact dimensions, and the great thing about that aluminum block, a reamer or an abrasive wheel in a dremel could be used to get a non standard size hole. Sh*t dude, a chainsaw file is wonderful for low budget hole expanding.

Wouldn't that finned aluminum block be more attractive than a lug nut?

rockz

No disrespect TJ, but.....

The question burning in my mind right now is, virtually all nuts are standard size, meaning (thread spacing irrelevant) fractional inch or MM (2/8, 5/16, etc...)

Drills are offered in the same exact dimensions, and the great thing about that aluminum block, a reamer or an abrasive wheel in a dremel could be used to get a non standard size hole. Sh*t dude, a chainsaw file is wonderful for low budget hole expanding.

Wouldn't that finned aluminum block be more attractive than a lug nut?

It would, but I don't have an aluminum block, or the tools for finning and drilling holes of that size.

The thing with those PC heat sinks is that they need airflow to cool. The box is sealed, so I dont know where the heat would dissipate to.

See if you can find some brass nuts, those would be ideal. Anywhere they sell pluming supplies will have brass nuts. The only reason I said get close to the size, is to use less glue.

rockz

I ordered the module, and fast order-to-ship time! I ordered it on Saturday, it shipped on Sunday. How long does it usually take for a package to get to the US from China?

rockz

In advance, does anyone know what a 50mW laser is expected to do? Can it pop balloons, burn trash bags, black construction paper, etc? I just want to make sure I didn't get screwed over when my module arrives, since I don't have a LPM.

Also, funny thing is, the DX order I made shipped 1 week before this order, yet by USPS tracking, this order is further...
Hopefully I get everything this week.

Thanks - Brian

Re: Building a box laser - some questions

Like most Chinese lasers/modules it will be under power, but its cheap so it evens out. O-Like is the only one, that I know of, that tests the power before it goes out. I would not expect it to burn much. Blu-Rays (405nm) will burn more stuff in general @ 100+mWs. Green (532nm) takes more power to burn, like red (650nm).

rockz

I've added pics.
I compared this to my overspec 5mw from DX, and it is quite a bit brighter. Also, the 5mw pen from laserlands is probably as close a 5mw as anyone's going to get, its nowhere near as bright as the DX pen, which could be a good or bad thing, but it was only $5.90, so I'm satisfied. The beam is just amazing at night. I'm kind of disappointed that I can't burn anything but trash bags, but its still one heck of a laser.
I'm going to see if lowes or HD has 1/2 inch washers, since a 1/2 inch drill bit made the module *barely* fit.

Nice job brother. I have like 8 projects in mid build. I need to get one out there.