Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Green DPSS Laser Issue

Hey

I'm not sure what’s really happening here, this being my first Laserwave DPSS laser,

Yesterday it was working fine, but today the laser is basically outputting several beams, almost like shining it through a diffraction grating.

It still has a decent solid beam, which still does burn, ect, then it has heaps of other beams, just visible at night (very visible with fog)

The pots on the driver, have been glued over, and I have not touched them.

The dips are set for CW, and the lens is clean.

Is this a focusing issue, or...?

Its a Laser Wave 200mW Green

Thanks
Dave

diachi

Black Spirit said:
Hey

I'm not sure what’s really happening here, this being my first DPSS laser,

Yesterday it was working fine, but today the laser is basically outputting several beams, almost like shining it through a diffraction grating.

It still has a decent solid beam, which still does burn, then it has heaps of other beams, just visible at night (very visible with fog)

The pots on the driver, have been glued over, and I have not touched them.

The dips are set for CW, and the lens is clean.

Is this a focusing issue, or...?

Its a Laser Wave 200mW Green

Thanks
Dave

It sounds like a temperature issue or an alignment issue in the crystals :eek: I've never heard of many problems with laser-wave greens. You should contact bridge at laser-wave he'll make it right for you  :)

EDIT: pictures would help, also bridge came on MSN so I showed him the thread ;)

hey, not the best pics, camera hates it.

shot1.jpg

shot2.jpg

In the first pic, it looks like a rectangle, but in person, its several points. The photo was taken with the laser pointing 3 metres away.

Cheers
Dave

daguin

Black Spirit said:
hey, not the best pics, camera hates it.
shot1.jpg

shot2.jpg

In the first pic, it looks like a rectangle, but in person, its several points. The photo was taken with the laser pointing 3 metres away.
Cheers
Dave

Looks like TEM issues.  Shine it through a magnifying glass to "expand" the spot and take another picture or describe what you see.  Does it look like any of these? Does it change as it warms up?

LaserModes.png

Peace,
dave

Yo,

My camera is crap, cant get a decent photo.

Shining it through a magnifying glass, it kinda looks like 01 in the above pic, but on a slight angle.
As it hit the magnifying glass, it appears to have 2 beams, one centre, and one sligtly off to the right.

There is no differance after warm up.

Cheers
Dave

Mode-hopping for sure.. Check this thread:

http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1226070525

It describes what you're seeing...

Also, I'd bet that you can find your output mode on this chart:

800px-Hermite-gaussian.png

Mode-hopping isn't necessarily bad, since it happens in pretty much all DPSS lasers to some degree or another, but if your beam stays like that and never returns to TEM00, then it is defective, and suffers from alignment issues... I'd talk to the supplier for a return/refund/exchange...

Mode-hopping isn't necessarily bad, since it happens in pretty much all DPSS lasers to some degree or another, but if your beam stays like that and never returns to TEM00, then it is defective, and suffers from alignment issues... I'd talk to the supplier for a return/refund/exchange...]

Ok, So in general, how long does it take? Also the laser is only 1 week old  :eek:

Thanks all for the help so far.

Dave

Iv given up. Now the laser outputs shit. My 1mW green looks better.

Going to contact Dave and Bridge from laserwave, this is just unfair.

Now I have to fork out $100au + shipping both ways for a replacement or what, for a defecetive unit.

aghh, sorry just very pissed off.

Benm

ElektroFreak said:
Mode-hopping isn't necessarily bad, since it happens in pretty much all DPSS lasers to some degree or another, but if your beam stays like that and never returns to TEM00, then it is defective, and suffers from alignment issues... I'd talk to the supplier for a return/refund/exchange...

I'd say it IS bad if it happens under normal operating conditions.

Mode hopping can also occur due to low or high temperature, which is normal, but should also go away after a short period of time (no more than a day certainly). Battery powered lasers can also have this probblem when the batteries run out (not uncommon), or if they are fleshly charged and supply too much (rare).

Well, once the Chinese new year is over, its going back to laser wave :D

Also, I was wrong about the shipping both ways. Its covered.

Laser show parts are a great mob to deal with!

Cheers
Dave