Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Green 532 nm DPSS Laser - Any LPF members who are active here now ever build one?

Has anyone presently active in the forum ever build a 532 nm green DPSS laser, or 1064 nm DPSS laser? I know we have a thread on that here I can go to, but wanting to know if there is anyone active in the forum now who has done so. I am getting close to building a 1064 nm pointer soon and want to use that experience towards building a 532 nm pointer.

Chris in Qatar.

I have built a 50mw 532 from 500mW 808nm with a crystal of old pointer

I've done that too, but the YVO4 and KTP crystals were already glued together and mounted, all I had to do was turn the assembly to match the proper polarity from the 808 nm laser diode. I have some large YVO4 rods already mounted with a TEC glued to the base but these came out of some high power Coherent lasers, much larger than I need to produce 5 watts of 1064 nm, but I have a 806-810 nm FAP and SMA coupled focus lens assembly to use with it too.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
What thanhtung has said is by far the easiest way. However knowing yourself we are not talking about typical laser pointer power levels. So those crystals simply won’t cut it

Edit: It appears my suspicion was correct :p

Tungh is building a host for these huge assemblies to go into for me now :)

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Awesome. I can’t wait to see that. It’s going to be an impressive host with all of that heatsinking needed

Damn heavy host though, you probably saw mention of it already in another thread. I don't know, this might not work out, or it might.... I do have a lot of parts to choose from though, many YVO4 crystals as well as KTP's, some KTP's already mounted in Coherent heater assemblies, it's the optics which are the challenge to get right now but I also have the optics which were originally used with some of these YVO4 and KTP crystals too.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
You certainly have the parts. I can’t say for definite as I haven’t done it myself to have my own experience. However I did do research into building my own high power dpss at one point. A lot of the crystals are already cut at the right phase angle in laser pointers allowing them to be very straight forward. With separate crystals alignment will be critical as well as a possible cavity. Single pass may yield your intended results. You’ll just have to experiment without the host first

The 1064 nm will probably be far easier to get working, first that, of course.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Yes, that will definitely will be easiest. Hopefully the dream of making that 532 will fall into shape for you.

What happened to the rest of the posts to this thread? I have seen many of my posts deleted.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Paul the forum got put back a week so everyone has lost content

Edit: check Avery’s latest thread

Last edited:
Yeah, I saw that Curtis. Wasn't sure about all the content loss, though. Also, my Washington Post links that I tried to replace are getting new error codes. I guess this is all related, but am wondering what we can/cannot post in the future.