Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Got 20 ps3 sleds free but cant get diodes to lase

Sorry for being noobish about this but it is really pissing me off. Ive built 4 or 5 bluray lasers using the lm317 driver with both the 803 and 801 xbox diodes without a problem. But when i try these ps3 diodes on the kes-400a sleds i cant get them to do anything, they dont lase, glow, smoke, arc, spark or do anything interesting, i am feeding in 30 ma at 7 volts through my lm317 driver and am extremely confused. I have ground connected to the case and positive connected to the top left pin. before soldering the diode down, i discharged my caps. When i harvested them i observed all esd precautions .etc. i can get the red laser to lase but the blue refuses to do anything, eventually i got pissed off and put 80 ma through one, this resulted in the laser glowing red slightly even though i was applying the current to the blue. I tryed another one and this did absolutely nothing when i got up to 30 ma i heard a distinct pop but im not sure if it was from the diode or not. I got the lot cheap because they were pulled from broken ps3 drives, i assumed that the diodes would be the last thing to go, and that the drives had suffered some other malfunction. Does any one have any thoughts?

daguin

Re: Got 20 ps3 sleds free but cant get diodes to l

Just to be sure. I'm not sure what "top left" means

PS3pinout-1.jpg

Peace,
dave

yep thats wat i meant by top left, i guess i should have said left most, but yep i got the connection right, its on ground and violet diode

Keep pulling them apart, you're bound to find a good one!!!

Omega

20? for free!? my god, you are lucky.
it wouldnt hurt to pass some of those my way ;)

well i already made a deal for all of them assuming that they worked, thats why its pissing me off

daguin

geckowil said:
well i already made a deal for all of them assuming that they worked, thats why its pissing me off

They are very sensitive to heat. Be quick (like rabbit)

Peace,
dave

If it started to glow red at higher currents it could be that you are powering the IR diode. Use the diode check on your meter to confirm which pins are which.