Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Good places to find optics

Ok, I'm after some random optics because i find them fun to play with and look at focus points and mirroring the beam etc

I've heard that you can get quite a lot from old laser printers and of course you can get a variety of lenses from binoculars and telescopes.

I was wondering if anybody else has found any good places to get free optics?

Digital cameras are my favorite.
LCD screens have diffraction gratings.
CD/DVD sleds of course.
Hard Drive platters are like front surface mirrors.
That's all I can think of at the moment...

diachi

Projectors, they have mirrors, ' Dichroic mirrors ' ( Reflects one color passes another ), Lenses, Diffraction gratings. and a lot more.

-Adam

A CD/DVD sled is in your computer disk drive, DVD player, CD player, etc. -It reads the disc.
They use lasers, so there are optics for those lasers.

I like digital cameras because the viewfinder has lenses, the LCD has diffraction gratings, and the lenses behind the shutter are nice AR coated lenses.

I took apart a couple broken ones. I even found a photodiode type thing that worked as a diffraction grating mirror-ish thing. :p I know, awesome Vocabulary. I'm not sure what it is. It just fell out and I said, "hey, cool!"

Oh right, I thought it was going to be something more technical :)

Disposable cameras are good for random lenses as well

diachi

Randomer3 said:
Oh right, I thought it was going to be something more technical  :)

And for pusled flash/tazer circuits. :cool:

I actually burnt a large hole in a black bin back using a modified camera flash circuit.

Diachi said:
[quote author=Randomer3 link=1220977119/0#5 date=1221078630]Oh right, I thought it was going to be something more technical  :)

And for pusled flash/tazer circuits.  :cool:

I actually burnt a large hole in a black bin back using a modified camera flash circuit.[/quote]

I got an electric shock when taking it apart, haha, made me jump out of my skin. ;D

We've got an old scanner which doesn't run with XP

Would it be worth taking it apart and seeing if there is anything cool inside?

Krutz

oh, thanks for the hint for old cameras! pretty obvious, but i didnt think of them yet!

photocopiers and laserprinter have nice surface-mirrors, one to two cm wide and up to 20cm long. glass.

laserprinter for the nice polygon-mirror, for making a nice liquid-sky.

i dont think you will find much in a scanner, but hey, at least a mirror, "grating"-lcdsensor and possibly a weird lens should be in there! have a look at the mechanics too. ball-bearings, precision sliding stuff, gears and motor, and an interface to move that stuff with a computer! did i hear "lasercutter"? ;-)

manuel