Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Good Canon Beginner DLSR?

Hey Guys,

I'm searching for a cheap (200-550 euro) Canon DLSR.
I've got a lot of equipment for a analog old Canon: canon AF mount objectives, bags and stuff.
So I want to stay with canon to keep the AF mount.
Size and weight is not so important for me so care more that its a full format sensor and good body.
Other than that I don't really know what to look for in a DLSR.

Any recommendations?

Did you mean to say EF mount? The older mount system was FD and has been replaced with EF - Canon EF lens mount - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You will not likely find a full frame 35mm sensor Canon body in your price range unless you buy used. If you are ok with the an APS-C sensor (cropped), you can get a Canon Rebel T3 starting at $299US and they just go up from there based on things like processor used, sensor used, etc.

If you can narrow down what is truly important to you and/or what type of photography you are interested in doing, we may be able to help guide your decision criteria in the body.

Cheers,
c

Thanks for the fast reply!:):thanks:

I was confused and looked it up but actually Canon i did not allow third party manufacturers to call them "EF" so they called them Canon AF short for Auto Focus but it's the same mount :beer:

The T3 Rebel looks nice to me.:beer:

I want to photograph mostly non moving things so I don't need to take many photos per second nor a super fast autofocus but the quality (low noise high res good color representation and wide iso range) is very important for me.

I think, based on your criteria, the Canon Rebel line of cameras is your best bet.

The current options are the T3 or T3i, the T5 or T5i, and the SL1

Of all these, based of what you have said and your budget, I recommend the T3i. It gives you a little more resolution that the T3 (18MP versus 12) and 1080p video versus 720p. It is still a DIGIC4 processesor, but will take all the EF lenses and is a couple hundred dollars less than the T5i/SL1 options.

Best of luck in your selection and happy shooting!

Cheers!
/c

Today I bought the SL1 neat little camera far better than the compact camera i had before :beer: Thanks for helping me :yh:

DJNY

Great decision. Also have the SL1 / 100D.
in combination with the 18-135 STM, 50 /1.4 and Walimex 8mm Fisheye :)

I'm going to take my new cam on a trip to london this weekend :yh:

Interesting is that you've got a fisheye lens.
I've got a bunch of old canon lenses from tele to macro but i've never seen dslr photos taken with a fisheye lens.

Would be nice to see a few pictures taken with it.;)

Congratulations of a great camera choice and on your new tool!

Looking forward to seeing the frames you create!

cheers,
Clayton

DJNY

I'm going to take my new cam on a trip to london this weekend :yh:

Interesting is that you've got a fisheye lens.
I've got a bunch of old canon lenses from tele to macro but i've never seen dslr photos taken with a fisheye lens.

Would be nice to see a few pictures taken with it.;)

IMO perfect cam for trips :)
Even better in combination with this.

Pics below were taken in Linz, Upper Austria two weeks ago.
I especially went there to visit the Tutanchamun exhibition.

Random pictures taken with 100D + Walimex 8mm
|No post-processing or tripod involved|

ISO3200

HDR-shot

This pic would be only possible with a Fisheye or an UWW

Last edited:
Thanks DJNY for your fisheye pics and tips
Nice to know that here is someone who has the same camera and knows much about how to use it

I'm back from my trip to London with first impressions of my new 100D and I must say that its a very good camera. But pictures say more than 1000 words ;)

p.s. imageshack doesn't let me as a free user link pictures with higher res so for high res click on the links ( I guess I need a new image upload site)

Good for Laser pics :)

Lovely squirrel

Some nice lens glares

Old vs new London ;)

Mjaamm lobster :drool:

Phoneblocks in a museum :wtf:

Except the first I've not taken high iso shots just too good weather in London yay :yh:
All shots without tripod and post processing :beer: