Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Gold foil to maximize diode-heatsink heat transfer?

Well, I have ended all the tests.

Pure gold foil: too thin and fragile, impossible to handle and manage.
Layer too thin, useless to reduce or eliminate the gap. Not recommended.

Link: Fogli d'Oro Autentici al 100% 24ct Multi Uso - Decorazione | eBay

Pure copper foil (thickness 0,1 mm): too thick and too hard to manage.
It does not eliminate the gap because it creates ripples and then create big air pockets. Not recommended .

Link: Thin Copper Foil 0.1mm | eBay

Pure indium foil (thickness 0,05 mm): easy to manage and to apply around the diode copper heatsink. When pushed into the main heatsink, it completely eliminates the gap. Do not create ripples and air bags. Excellent especially for the parts where the size or diameter is not perfectly homogeneous: it remains where it is needed, where is useless is expelled out. Very recommended.

Link: Pure 99.995% 4N5 Indium Metal Foil Sheet 100mm x 100mm x 0.05mm 3.655g #ET1 | eBay

Last edited:

Excellent. I had figured that copper would not be suitable since it is known for work hardening to a strong degree. I don't believe they anneal foil as it would oxidize it if done outside of an inert atmosphere, and that's expensive. Wasn't sure about the gold since I've no first hand experience with it's mechanical properties. Glad to know Indium worked out well for ya.