Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Going to sell a 700 mW laser pointer, but... laws?

Hello!

So, I have a 700 mW green laser pointer bought in China some time ago. Now, I would like to sell it, but I heard there were some law issues with selling high power lasers. I looked over ebay.com and found out most laser pointers being sold were 5 mW, although I still managed to find a few powerful lasers (>5 mW) on ebay.

I'm afraid it won't pass customs, so that I lose both laser and money. How should I go in order to sell it successfully?

I would just mark it as flashlight it almost always makes it thru, I guess it also depends on where you're sending it to. I honestly wouldn't worry too much about customs. I've heard some countries are super strict, even the US is very strict but no one really has any issues here, sorry my answer isn't that good, maybe someone will have a better one than me :(

There are some tricks I use to get passed customs very easily with lasers

-Mark as gift
-Value under 100$
-DO NOT ship with batteries
-As Richie said, mark it as a flashlight or LED.

Last edited:

Dcrets

Where are you? If in the US and selling here you don't have to deal with customs.

I guess it depends on where you are from. It doesn't say in your avatar. It helps when you put that in. If you live in the USA, you can probably sell it locally or try it on eBay. I believe the restrictions here are on pointers, so keep that in mind. If you are not selling it to someone in another country, you needn't worry about customs. So, I guess what I'm saying is, it depends.

Well, I live in Russia, and because it seems to be very difficult to sell such an expensive laser here (it's a green 700 mW one from jetlasers.org), I think I will have to deal with customs.

Dcrets

Regardless of where it's coming from it only goes through US customs if coming here. I don't think it would be any different than the many packages coming from China that pass customs with no problem. List as others said. Gift, under $100, no batteries and flashlight. My opinion only.

Well, I live in Russia, and because it seems to be very difficult to sell such an expensive laser here (it's a green 700 mW one from jetlasers.org), I think I will have to deal with customs.

Sorry to be a tiny bit off topic but, I wanna Visit Russia!! Lol

plag

I have the same problem selling 700mW laser on eBay. But I do not want to lie it has zero power output as many do.

AaronT

I have the same problem selling 700mW laser on eBay. But I do not want to lie it has zero power output as many do.

Just add "message for actual power" to your listing.

Also mention you are not a "China fake" seller.

Last edited: