Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

goggles for eclipse?

I got my glasses a few days ago, so I'm good. Monday is getting close and the 90+% that I will see here is scheduled for 10:14 A.M.

I got my glasses a few days ago, so I'm good. Monday is getting close and the 90+% that I will see here is scheduled for 10:14 A.M.

Lucky! Using a tool "Vox" put out, I'll be seeing around 66% at it's peak. Still pretty good, but nowhere as good as up in Washington :)

-Alex

If I were a couple hundred miles south, I'd be seeing a total eclipse. I'm happy to see what I will get to see here. It has not rained here in almost two months. Watch it be cloudy out on Monday.

i dont have to drive anywhere and i dont want to drive anywhere because screaming people. right in my front yard i will be able to see it all, without the 300 screaming dudes ruining my footage. 3 days left hype!!

Might rain. You never know. When they were trying to use a total solar eclipse to prove/disprove Einstein's theory of relativity they had to go back and do it another time because the weather blocked out the many groups first attempt. The idea was to see if the stars around the sun had moved position because of the gravity of the sun on their light reaching earth. It was later proved to be true this way, but not by the many groups doing it on the first try. Even then, there was only one or maybe two that got a good enough clear sky to photograph the event.

Edit: This is totally from memory, so if there was some part I got wrong, it is because of that. This did happen though.

Last edited:
Gravitational lensing, If Einstein's theory was right they should be able to see a star that was known to be behind the sun because such massive objects as the sun create enough gravity to warp spacetime that bends the stars light around the sun and lets the star be visible before it should be......

Last edited:
Might rain. You never know. When they were trying to use a total solar eclipse to prove/disprove Einstein's theory of relativity they had to go back and do it another time because the weather blocked out the many groups first attempt. The idea was to see if the stars around the sun had moved position because of the gravity of the sun on their light reaching earth. It was later proved to be true this way, but not by the many groups doing it on the first try. Even then, there was only one or maybe two that got a good enough clear sky to photograph the event.

Edit: This is totally from memory, so if there was some part I got wrong, it is because of that. This did happen though.

Yeah you basically got it.. IIRC.

I saw a documentary on that light warping
experiment done by a scientist that went
to some far off country to observe the effect.
Was so long ago I can't remember all the details
but he did prove Einstein's theory as fact.

Just found this informative link....
https://www.space.com/28738-einstein-theory-of-relativity-explained-infgraphic.html

Jerry

Two or more "teams" were racing to be the first to successfully conduct that experiment that would prove Einstein's theory was correct or not and there was bad luck to go around like getting scientific equipment confiscated and being detained for suspicions of being spys, If i remember it correctly ?

Last edited:
It was during WW I and it was not a good time to be traveling all over the world with a lot of equipment to photograph this event. Many people were detained as spies.

Yeah you basically got it.. IIRC.

I saw a documentary on that light warping
experiment done by a scientist that went
to some far off country to observe the effect.
Was so long ago I can't remember all the details
but he did prove Einstein's theory as fact.

Just found this informative link....
https://www.space.com/28738-einstein-theory-of-relativity-explained-infgraphic.html

Jerry
Another one I find fascinating is "Einstein's Cross".
This is where a quasar is G.lensed around a galaxy that sits directly in front of it yielding four images of the quasar around the original image of the quasar.
Check it out, it's amazing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Einstein_Cross

RB

Another one I find fascinating is "Einstein's Cross".
This is where a quasar is G.lensed around a galaxy that sits directly in front of it yielding four images of the quasar around the original image of the quasar.
Check it out, it's amazing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Einstein_Cross

RB
More gravitational lensing only in that case it's the gravity of an entire galaxy that creates the much larger gravitational lensing and creates four images of the quasar (a active supermassive black hole at the center of a galaxy) that is behind the lensing galaxy...

Last edited:
That is a nice one, Andrew. I have also seen two images of a galaxy lens around a closer one, too. There are many examples of this type of gravitational lensing.

Yeah. Unfortunately it seems like we have only the Hubble Telescope to see them. Well, I guess there are others too, but not for us poor slobs. :cryyy: