Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

"Glowtorch" Red lasers...

S

SenKat

Trying to judge the interest level of you all....you have seen the bad press I gave to Glowtorch, because of his SUPER slow shipping, and delivering empty packages (might have been the post office, who knows ?) But I FINALLY got a hold of him, and he tossed an interesting idea to me...He said I can deal direct with the manufacturer, and he will pay for my replacement if I can find 9 more "orders" at $145.00 each.  Now - I was batting 500 with mine.....one I received was fantastic !  The other was not so good - and was DOA.  So...this would be a LITTLE BIT on the risky side...  I will buy another at the $145.00 price, but that leaves me with needing 9 more customers who want to gamble with me.  I really am not sure anymore - I just want the damned laser !  I told him I would think about it, and I would pay via pay-pal, so that way I am protected.  So - if anyone wants to try this out - let me know.  I figure his "offer" is good for a little while, but reply as soon as possible.  What would happen is this : I would pay him, the lasers come directly to me, and then I ship to you (after testing).  I don't know if this sounds good to any of you or not - but see my review on the glowtorch....I really liked the laser.  I figure, the worst that could happen is, paypal refunds all the money owed, and I (we) would break even - minus of course, the one laser he STILL owes me.

I think he's just reselling them anyway.

I'd be willing to buy a pair of those at $145 apiece, but having no Paypal means I'd have to send you a US Postal MO in advance, if that is permissible - I know how much you like Paypal :)

S

SenKat

Ragnarok said:
I think he's just reselling them anyway.

I'd be willing to buy a pair of those at $145 apiece, but having no Paypal means I'd have to send you a US Postal MO in advance, if that is permissible - I know how much you like Paypal  :)

HAHAHAHAHA ! If we can get 7 more spots filled, I'll take the MO with no issues ! As long as it spends, I'm okay with it !

SenKat said:
If... I'll take the MO with no issues ! As long as it spends, I'm okay with it !

Xlnt. :cool:

SenKat said:
HAHAHAHAHA ! If we can get 7 more spots filled,...!

Well, what if you changed the title of the thread to "Group Buy 200mw Red $145"? ;)

Thing is, from what I've seen across the forums/threads, these units don't always make 200mW (even if they made only 150 it would still be a reasonable deal), and sometimes they die early, and you'll have to emphasize that it's an "AS IS" deal, unless you want to deal with RMAs later - what's it going to be like to deal with the manufacturer for any returns that might have to ne made?

S

SenKat

RMA's are a good question - I need to ask that, for sure....I do NOT want to be stuck processing RMA's for folks !! Not if possible to avoid it, that is ! The one good unit I had, tested at 237mw @ 660nm. The current owner can attest to its' quality, I suppose !

SenKat said:
RMA's are a good question - I need to ask that, for sure....I do NOT want to be stuck processing RMA's for folks !!  Not if possible to avoid it, that is !  The one good unit I had, tested at 237mw @ 660nm.  The current owner can attest to its' quality, I suppose !

Yep, I do like it.  Worth every penny.  

I MAY be interested in another one at $145 if you guys get into a bind.  Sure hope the wife doesn 't find out I have 2 of them though...

I will take one if I can get my money back from him on the dead one he sent me
Still waiting on paypal

If you get the RMA situation worked out I may be interested in one or two. Also if anyone has one they want tested, just cover the shipping here and I will cover the return shipping a provide a power graph. I recently got a thermal sensor, and am interested in seeing what these really put out (if they truly are 660nm the LaserCheck readings are right but I'm a little doubtful).

Something definitely needs to be figured out on the RMA though. I keep hearing stories of people getting 2, and having one die on them. Sure seems to me like the diodes are being well overdriven :-/

Mike, SenKat and I are all getting the "Dr Lava CPF laser meter". Hopefully it will be in soon - it will read 660 nM in addition to 532nM. When they come in we'll all be posting lots of interesting numbers...

Pseudo - pardon my ignorance (I'm still a noob), but could you explain the thermal sensor and how it differs from a standard meter like the coherent lasercheck?

Stevetexas - I used to only have a LaserCheck and those use silicon-based sensors (like the Dr. Lava meters). That means that at each wavelength, it measures differently, so you put in a wavelength and it weights the reading for that sensitivity. However this breaks down with multi-wavelength lasers like unfiltered greenies and RGBs, and it is also hard with red lasers as you rarely know the exact wavelength (and the diff from 650nm to 670nm can lead to a pretty decent difference on the lasercheck).

With a thermopile, depending on the coating used on the sensor there may still be some variation with wavelength, but its normally far less. I think over the visible range the variation is only a fraction of a percent if even thaton the broadband coating mine has. The thermopile basically zeros to the ambient temperature, and then you shine a laser into the sensors aperture. It absorbs that energy and heats up to an new level of thermal equlibrium. Past that, its up to Coherent's calibration to turn those readings into mW readings, but that helps eliminate the inaccuracies I always wondered about with the LaserCheck. I've measured a glowtorch before on the LC, but I'm interested in seeing if the wavelength is really as close to 660nm as the manufacturer says (deeper into the red means the LaserCheck is overestimating the power).

Thanks for the info.  I may check mine with the Dr. Lava Meter and then send it to you to check with the thermopile (if you wouldn't mind helping to generate some info)  I'd be really curious to see what the difference would be...

For a green/IR laser like the ones we see on e-bay, wouldn't placing an IR filter in the path be nearly as good?  We know the wavelength involved is 532 minus any IR - should be pretty accurate right?

S

SenKat

Considering his recent name shift on Ebay - I am not certain at all that this guy can be trusted period. It LOOKS like he is trying to hide - I AM the sort of person to hop a flight to prove a point....so consider this offer to be withdrawn unless I can find proof positive that this guy is not snaking me......I almost feel pity for him if he is.