Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Getting that nice polished finish.

I wasn't happy with the black and purple on my first build, I took the anodizing off with a rough grit sponge sand block then smoothed it a bit with 320 grit. Now I've never really polished metal before, what's the recommendation on getting that nice polished finish, and can it feasibly done by hand?
Thanks

Before
img950456925.jpg

img950458924.jpg

After
img950563923.jpg

img950564922.jpg

You can probably get it done by hand. It just won't be easy. I suggest using power tools like a dremel, drill, or grinder with a cloth or felt polishing wheel and polishing compound. Use a different wheel for different grit compounds. After your finished you can just use a soft rag or towel with any cleaner that won't streak to clean off the fingerprints, dirt, compound. Even water will work. Just don't soak the rag. Also don't use anything you don't want stained either xD

Last edited:
Thanks for the advise, afterall this was inspired by / your fault I did this lol. I'll try to make it look real nice and post more pics. I'm going to try to keep the purple in the indentations in the head too, I think it looks boss.

Try to get some kind of power tool to help you. Before polishing, you will need to sand with progressively finer papers. I take the last little machining marks out with 280 grit, then 320, then 400, then 500, then 800, and last I go for the 1000 grit carbide paper. With the 1000 grit paper, I will wet it with oil or WD40 and oil sand. The 1000 paper will leave the aluminum shiny, and let you see any imperfections. Once satisfied with the sanding, its time to polish. You can buy felt bobs that go in the chuck of a cordless drill. Get some and a drill, a dremel (even chinese clone) and dremel polishing bobs will be handy too. You will need some polish. This looks like colored waxy sticks, for the dremel it comes in a little container. It comes in several different grades. I use the red and the white. (rouge and diamond) Spin up the felt bob in the drill, and rub the polish stick on the spinning felt to transfer some polish. Now gently work the spinning bob against your aluminum and the bob will polish it. Buff periodically with a clean rag to check your progress. I have the same host as you, and mine has a bluray in it too. The knurling is a pain to clean out. If desperate to remove anodize, a sodium hydroxide bath can be used. (With caution - corrosive) If you do so, make sure not to dissolve too much aluminum.