Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

general question !!

Anyone know what is the specification I need to take into account when I am going buy a Laser Diode and Photodiode for communication uses?
eg. Sending Analogue signal from Laser Diode to a Photodiode/Phototransistor.

^it's pretty tough to modulate a gas laser without the use of an expensive AOM.

KiLLrB

^it's pretty tough to modulate a gas laser without the use of an expensive AOM.

Or a 80W CO2. Prolly go through sensors fairly fast lol not to mention reflections onto innocent bystanders:p

My CO2 PSU actually has TTL input, come to think of it. I've never tested it, but it's probably not fast enough for data transmission.

so how about i just use a laser diode with 650nm or 850nm to transmit the DIGITAL modulated signal?
ANY consideration i need to take into my account? or any laser does work on transmitting the DIGITAL signal as well?

HIMNL9

A laser is just a source of coherent light ..... so, if your transmission system involves light modulation, thehn yes, any laser can be used, as far as you can modulate them on/off ..... the rest depends only from the receiver system and signal processing ..... you need to know if you need an unconditional system or a feedback controlled system ..... mean, basically, a "transmit and don't care if the data become received" system, or a "transmissit and check that the data become delivered correctly" system ..... and choose your components and systems in consequence of this need ....

Thanks for the advice..
after i tested in analog direct transmit from my audio, it does works..
but somehow, the intensity of the laser light will be constant when the audio sound in high pitch... so i cant really get my signal at the receiver.
any solution on it?

i used the transistor 2N2222, voltage divider at Base when the audio signal goes in.
thanks

Damien

How is it possible to transmit data in my home from one computer to another or from one external harddrive to another using lasers?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 8382

It's possible but it's not that easy. You'd need to create your own hardware and your own software for that.