Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Gball lens remove

toutan

Because the damage of the diode is scary, please tell me it if I take it off, and there is a tutorial image of the one.

Hi T,
If you take off the G ball lens the diode will not last as long as with it on. It will be a open can diode and you have to be careful with dust .

Rich:)

I believe RedCowboy has removed the ball lens by just prying it off against the module you pressed it into. He just pried against the top of the module and the can pops off. The problems with decanning have been related to blue diodes. Not so much with green.

Yes, i agree with Paul,but remove nubm05-06,07 is easier than nubm08.if want remove nubm08,need a tool

I press the diode with the Gball intact into a module. Then use a small flat head screw driver and lever between the rim of the Gball casing and the inside of the module. This means you pull towards the centre of the lens ie pivot on edge of Gball casing. Do this gently and move around the lens applying force on different points. It will take 4 - 5 attempts before you will hear a cracking sound. As soon as it gives, stop and remove the screwdriver. Use a pair of tweezers to remover the lens, or just tip it out.

I used to use the vice method shown by Angelos, but this almost always destroyed the Gball and I often had marks on the diode from the press (you have to hold it very firmly). With the above method not one diode has been damaged and all Gballs came off intact.

If you want the Angelos method let me know and Ill hunt it out for you.

Wheres that beer emoticon....;)

toutan

Because English is not proud, I cannot understand an English sentence.
If there are an image and an animation, I may understand me.

mungbeans

I know this is an old thread but directly relates to my query.
I have found a "recapped" nubm08. Appears to have the standard capping on this without gball. Would this be okay for longevity?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 6

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
I know this is an old thread but directly relates to my query.
I have found a "recapped" nubm08. Appears to have the standard capping on this without gball. Would this be okay for longevity?
The recapped diodes will last but only if certain criteria is met. They are susceptible to damage from all other forms of light besides their own wavelength thus making usage very limited in both an indoor and outdoor setting. To prevent this you can add an additional wire to the positive and negative pins that will act as a light conversion countermeasure which will convert incoming light into baryon particles. The baryon particles can then be eradicated with a baryon sweep. But that procedure is toxic to organic matter so keep this in mind and wear gloves for protection.
Alternatively you could just shove the diode up your rear end and fart it out after 5 minutes to allow a layer of crap to harden into a protective barrier.

I press the diode with the Gball intact into a module. Then use a small flat head screw driver and lever between the rim of the Gball casing and the inside of the module. This means you pull towards the centre of the lens ie pivot on edge of Gball casing. Do this gently and move around the lens applying force on different points. It will take 4 - 5 attempts before you will hear a cracking sound. As soon as it gives, stop and remove the screwdriver. Use a pair of tweezers to remover the lens, or just tip it out.

I used to use the vice method shown by Angelos, but this almost always destroyed the Gball and I often had marks on the diode from the press (you have to hold it very firmly). With the above method not one diode has been damaged and all Gballs came off intact.

If you want the Angelos method let me know and Ill hunt it out for you.

Wheres that beer emoticon....;)

Exactly, I also use a small flat head screwdriver with mounted Gball diodes, as soon as I hear the crack I flip it over and the Gball can falls right out, super easy however the short Gball such as on nubm08 and nugm03 can take a little more effort, use a small piece of wood at the rim of your module to make a fulcrum so you dont damage your module threads when prying out the short Gball cans.....it's best to put on a solid back half with the pedistol after pressing in your diode before prying out the short Gball cans, then you can of course remove the solid back half and use a hollow one if you want.

Last edited: