Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Galvos going crazy on show

Grix

I just got a new projector with 30k galvos.. They work excellent except in one show.. "I remember - deadmau5". The show is on the PL FTP server. It worked fine on my old 20k galvos, but when I play the show on the 30k ones, they start making very nasty screeching sounds, and the show has small "lag-spikes".. I love that show but I am very concerned for my poor galvos.. Is there anything I can do to play the show normally?

I use spaghetti to play shows.

You could try backing the scan speed down to 20k in the Spaghetti settings. Just because you can scan at 30k doesn't mean you must do so.. Some shows play best at the speed at which they were written.

Last edited:

Grix

No, doesn't work.. I also messed with other settings, such as min speed, blanking opt. but it only seemed to increase the screeching sound.. :/

But the thing is, I think the show is written for at least 30k, because it flickered a little on the old 20k's..

Good question. Also, I feel that it should be stated that galvo noise is normal.. even relatively loud noise. Constant LOUD screeching isn't, and any noise accompanied by distorted output isn't. Can you take some pics?

Grix

Yes, all other shows work flawlessly.

I guess the noise and spikes is not that bad, maybe I'm just paranoid.. But they are certainly much louder than on other shows. There are no graphic distortions such as rounded edges, but the image might freeze for 1/4 second about every few seconds or so..

I can take some pics when I get home.. What should I shoot? The scanned pattern?

vk2fro

freezing could indicate a protection circuit in your galvo drivers kicking in as they are being overdriven. Just a thought.