Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Galaxy Note 10+ Broken Power Button

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Anyone here have this phone and had a similar situation? It just randomly fell right out one day. Thinking maybe I could super glue it back, but it's such a small piece, glue could easily get into the button mechanism if I don't get it exactly right.

Some pics of the problem:

DSC-0640.jpg

DSC-0641.jpg

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
The tiniest amount of an Epoxy resin or contact adhesive on the end of a toothpick. You want to put the smallest amount dead centre on the button so when you press it on, the glue only spreads so far and not onto the surrounding metal. I would recommend superglue, but make a mistake and you're finished. At least with the epoxy/contact adhesive you have some play and can scrape of the glue before it sets if you make a mistake.

bulukaki

I had a similar issue on my Redmi 3 pro a few years ago. Stuffed some paper inside so my fingernail can press the switch inside.

Other alternative would be to glue the plastic piece back with a glue that stays relatively soft after drying (e.g. UHU glue).

gazer101

As long as you get the superglue perfectly positioned, it should work
But if you mess it up you'll need to give the phone an acetone soak which might ruin plastic (if there is any, if not no worries)

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Best to avoid using the superglue altogether and use a safer alternative.

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Aren't those note 10s supposed to have an Ip68 water resistance rating? How can they prevent water from getting in with the buttons so cheaply connected on like that?

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Aren't those note 10s supposed to have an Ip68 water resistance rating? How can they prevent water from getting in with the buttons so cheaply connected on like that?

I have to say I am really not impressed with the quality of this device. For such an expensive phone, the piece of the button that fell out feels cheap and fragile and unfortunately the whole switch seems to be a bit messed up. Even when I put the button cap back in, it doesn't have the same click it did before and won't always press properly.

I have had other phones break before, but only because I did something stupid like drop them or get them wet. lol This is the first one I have had just break for no reason and it happens to be the most expensive one I have owned. (n)

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
It does make you wonder.

IP68: The equipment is suitable for continuous immersion in water under conditions which shall be specified by the manufacturer. However, with certain types of equipment, it can mean that water can enter but only in such a manner that it produces no harmful effects. The test depth and duration is expected to be greater than the requirements for IPx7, and other environmental effects may be added, such as temperature cycling before immersion.

The bit in bold may be how they get around it. Wouldn't like to know how it holds up with a broken part however.

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Yeah exactly you don't want to test it on a 500-1000 dollar phone. I got a note 4. Tough phones and is the last model to feature removable batteries. Came out in 2014 and still supports 4g perfectly fine. Hardware is outdated of course but it was powerful back then and enough power to handle apps today. You obviously can't play todays games but for everyday things it has more than enough power to handle it.
The display is still amazing and each pixel is virtually impossible to see with the naked eye. I use the magnifier to take close ups of circuits
20210326_150457.jpg
20210326_150425.jpg

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Apparently you are not the only one having the switch problem-
There are a lot of listings on eBay for replacement Note10+ power and volume buttons for $5 to $10
Should be simple enough to replace it with a fresh one if gluing doesn't work out.
See: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...570.l1313&_nkw=Note+10++power+button&_sacat=0

I think I'll go for the full replacement, thanks for the link. Too much risk with the glue that I could ruin the phone, not worth the risk when I can get new buttons for $5.

Found one for even less:

Does seem that this problem is not that uncommon, with the amount of sellers offering this part, and the number of repair tutorials I have found.

I think I'll go for the full replacement, thanks for the link. Too much risk with the glue that I could ruin the phone, not worth the risk when I can get new buttons for $5.

Found one for even less:

Does seem that this problem is not that uncommon, with the amount of sellers offering this part, and the number of repair tutorials I have found.
Are you going to do the replacement work?