Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

G-2 Lens Focus changing?

Hey guys,

I just built my first C6 and its hitting 1.8W with a 3-element and 2.1W with the G-2. And I'm freaking amazed by the laser and its power :drool:

One thing though: why does the G-2 lens change focus depending on how I hold the laser. It doesn't happen with the 3-element. It seems it laser "snaps" into another focus holding it at a certain angle.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Is the lens loose? Use some teflon tape (plumbers tape). Just a little bit.

How did you end up getting things worked out from your other thread?

Glenn

DTR

Nope it is my bad. He contacted me and apparantly I did not tighten down the retaining ring that holds the lens in place and it came loose in shipping.:yabbem:

Also when suggesting the use of Teflon please make sure that you let them know to put 1.5 wraps only around the top third of the lens so the tape just starts to thread into the module right when the unit is close to fully focused. This will help keep teflon out of the module that could damage the diode and lens.:beer:

Last edited:
Yes sir, you are correct and I knew that. I should have been more specific. Thanks for cleaning up the necessary details!

Glenn

Nope it is my bad. He contacted me and apparantly I did not tighten down the retaining ring that holds the lens in place and it came loose in shipping.:yabbem:

Also when suggesting the use of Teflon please make sure that you let them know to put 1.5 wraps only around the top third of the lens so the tape just starts to thread into the module right when the unit is close to fully focused. This will help keep teflon out of the module that could damage the diode and lens.:beer:

Yeah, it's okay DTR. Tis was an easy fix, I tightened the retaining ring on the lens and its fixed :)

@Gatkins
I've done away with the two CREE drivers, it seems they were just bad. With Moh's linear, everything works perfectly. No hiccups. Of course I took special precaution with the new diode I got from DTR, I tested the driver with a test load and voltage was 1.62 across the resistors, perfect.

I soldered the leads to my diode and walla! A beautiful 1.8W laser was born. I'm so happy right now it's ridiculous (I'm finally a father LOL).

Anyway, never using CREE drivers ever again. Costly $100 lesson: 2 A140 miscarriages & over 5 hours of work trying to figure everything out.

OK, good. I ordered a bunch of those Cree drivers just to torture, but haven't gotten them yet. They are on a slow boat from somewhere.

Sorry for the hijack. Thanks for the info.

Glenn