Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

futility in searching for a greenlight pointer in Myrtle Beach

Hey all. I've been a resident in the Myrtle Beach area for 3 years now. I'm currently searching for a green light laser pointer in the area just to check the power output, and hopefully making a safety vid to put on youtube just to warn parents as to what their kids may have. So to that effect, I've got some good news and bad news.
I've been to several beach shops today (have most of the week off from work) and none of them have laser pointers.
I've asked 3 clerks and have heard 3 different answers:
1)we stopped selling them. Try down the road.
2) You can go to the pet dept. at Walmart, but you won't find any green ones here anymore.
3) (my favorite)We stopped selling them because they're illegal. (mind you, the store clerk was in front of a huge display of knives, swords, tasers, nunchaku, and the like.)
Now, I know there has been a local ordinance passed where you have to be 18 and sign a waiver to buy one. I'm miles away from 18 and would still like to make this video. So whithout trying to order one from DX, etc, I was just in high hopes of finding someone who still sold them locally.
If anyone here lives in the MB area and knows a specific store to buy one in, your input would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Myrtle Beach bans laser pointers

Looks like they're indeed illegal.

mikethebomber said:
If anyone here lives in the MB area and knows a specific store to buy one in, your input would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Oh, I'm SURE local law enforcement would just LOVE our input on that! :crackup:
char_sherlok.jpg

Last edited:

Encap

Hey all. I've been a resident in the Myrtle Beach area for 3 years now. I'm currently searching for a green light laser pointer in the area just to check the power output, and hopefully making a safety vid to put on youtube just to warn parents as to what their kids may have. .

The hundreds of videos already on youtube are not good enough for you?

Nobody in Myrtle Beach is going to be selling anything more powerful then , if any places still sell lasers at all 1mW because they are banned.

Sorry guys. Didn't want to sound like a troll (or worse: oink)
I actually wanted to make a video concerning Myrtle beach and it's sales of these lasers, by putting it up against a power meter to prove that.
Kinda weird. I'm glad they're not selling them anymore, but from what I understand about the area, I'm a bit surprised, there's just some legalese loopholes to be had here.
See, North Myrtle Beach is a completely different town from MB, and in fact, are the only town to ban them.
From what I know of the area, I would think all the other towns would, typically, try to sell them based on the fact that the other towns won't.
Believe me, I'm glad they're not for sale, other than I would have liked my first pointer purchased be for a purpose like this.
The video I was thinking of making would have been labeled and directed at people who bought one of these green lasers in the Myrtle Beach area, and would have been to warn parents of what their kids may have had in their possession. Something on a more personal level than reading about some poor dumb sap who tried to fry some pilot's retinas.
My apologies for sending the wrong message, not my intent.