Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Fusion breakthrough draws energy gain

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Apparently scientists at the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory achieved this crucial step in the path to nuclear fusion energy. The NIF reactor uses a massive laser to confine and ignite the nuclear fusion reaction, unlike the magnetically confined plasma in many other fusion experiments.

Immediately I wonder how close is the lasers lens to a fusion reaction, even with a sapphire window we are talking about a nuclear fusion reaction.

I'm reasonably certain that's gonna be a negative on the G2.
From what I read the laser of around 350nm enters through a small hole, well many small holes.

Ha I see a debris shield, I expect it's a shutter.

Last edited:

gazer101

Holy smokes, if this proves to be real we might see some extremely powerful and cheap lasers come to market in the coming decades!

Think about a house-scale fusion reactor one day

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
It is exciting stuff. We still have a long way to go in order to produce more electricity than it requires to operate the whole system. But its great news that they exceeded the input energy of the lasers. I'm wondering how long it will take to completely breakeven. My thinking is they will now start making significant progress.

As for having cheap high power lasers, Nd:Glass (Phosphate) isn't anything new and will unlikely become something we'll be using to obtain high power lasers anytime soon. If you wanted to, you could build your own Nd:Glass laser

However I like the idea of a fusion powered laser though. :p

Holy smokes, if this proves to be real we might see some extremely powerful and cheap lasers come to market in the coming decades!

Think about a house-scale fusion reactor one day

Our next leap will likely be quantum dot laser diodes that will have gas laser beam quality and be inexpensive to mass produce, I hope some new holographic television becomes popular making these diodes inexpensive and plentiful so hobbyist like myself can build compact knife edge arrays from bunches of their high quality beams.:p

The NIF uses very large bays of flash-lamp based neodymium doped glass plate beam amplifiers, it's decades old technology but still impressive as the NIF houses the worlds most powerful laser system.

kecked

My question is is the net energy actually positive. If you add up ALL the energy used to run the plant and the laser and not just the energy deliver by the lasers are you still positive. If yes this is big deal. If not I’m going back to bed.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
My question is is the net energy actually positive. If you add up ALL the energy used to run the plant and the laser and not just the energy deliver by the lasers are you still positive. If yes this is big deal. If not I’m going back to bed.
It didn’t breakeven in that sense no. Still progress in the right direction regardless.

Last edited:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Power cities with clean energy. Nuclear fusion has been used in nuclear weapons for decades.

You're right -- I forgot about the H bomb.
That's how we start a fusion Reactor !!!!! :)
HM