Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Fun with your lasers!!!

I am so sick of hearing people say that a laser is just a stupid light. So I made a list of my favorite things to do lasers

Light a match at 20+ feet!!! :D Well kinda. ::) Position a jeweler's loupe such that its focal length targets a match head. Aim your laser at it from a distance. You will have to prop your laser against something to keep it stable.

Another fun thing to try is see if your laser can melt through a chocolate bar. ;D Tasty!!!

See if yours can light steel wool (>150mW) or firework fuse.

Bust out your rock collection with a Blu-Ray laser and look for fluorescence! Or scope your backyard.

See if your cats are color blind. One of my cats cant see green. :-?

Piss off your neighbors.

Etch your name in black plastic.

Point your brightest green laser you have point it into the night sky and see if your buddy who lives a mile away can see it. My friends swears he could see my 80mW 532nm.

Eat your laser. (Don't do that)

Post your ideas too. ;)

Switch

Filling up a room with smoke or fog and just play with the beams, they're mesmerizing. :eek: Not many things produce such a bright light of pure colour in such an unnaturally organized state :D.

Btw, chances are that even 25mW can be to bright for your cat to look at. :p

Switch said:
Filling up a room with smoke or fog and just play with the beams, they're mesmerizing. :eek: Not many things produce such a bright light of pure colour in such an unnaturally organized state :D.

Btw, chances are that even 25mW can be to bright for your cat to look at. :p

Oh I know that was with my old 5mW Alpec green laser. I would never shine my 25mW New Wish at her. Thanks for the concern though. ;)

Getting a fog machine, some diffraction gratings, prisms and mirrors for your lasers and I'll guarantee hours of fun! :D

Mixing different lasers so that they produce other colours! My little sister loves when I mix a blu-ray and a red, because pink is her favourite colour.

diachi

Colour mixing is fun :] I mixed my red and argon together to make white :D

Spiros are also awesome

Xplorer877 said:
Another fun thing to try is see if your laser can melt through a chocolate bar. ;D Tasty!!!

Hey, I've done this too! It's fun!

Xplorer877 said:
Bust out your rock collection with a Blu-Ray laser and look for fluorescence! Or scope your backyard.

Yeah...so much fun...

Xplorer877 said:
See if your cats are color blind. One of my cats cant see green. :-?

Both my cats see green, but they don't care. But when I'm shining my blu-ray outside, my one cat goes sprinting towards it and I have to turn it off and move him.

Other fun things to do with lasers:

-Burn random objects. For example, I like to burn things inside their packaging so that people wonder how all the smoke got there.

-Play with glass objects. We have a lot of glass and crystal things at home...so fun with laser beams!

-Trick people into thinking low-powered lasers are really high-powered and dangerous. (http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1225674517/0, Reply #8.)

-Mark

1. Fog machine, mirrors placed around the room (some on motors) and a few lasers all going at once.

2. During the day, shinning a green dot on the ground in front of people as they walk past my house. They see the dot but not the beam so they don't see where it comes from.
Some kids have been really frecked out by it and run around telling their mates that they are seeing strange greens lights on the ground or crawling up walls, then they suddenly disappear.
I'm sure some of the younger kids think that we have small green aliens in the area  ;D.

3. Cat/dog toy.

4. Shine into sky during foggy nights.

5. Pointing out stars and planets to my wife and kids.

get high and pretend that you are luke skywalker. ;)

in no way am i telling that you should get high and play with lasers. . . dont sue me ;D ;D ;D

Melt glass, torch wood and vaporize flesh!!!! And yes - impress all your neighbors on foggy nights and Halloween night. Those of you who have (or will be getting one from the recent GB for small CO2 lasers) CO2 lasers probably know all about the first one!

here's something fun to do: throw a bit of electrical tape into a plastic drink bottle and screw the cap on tight. then burn the plastic as much as you want from outside the bottle till its full of smoke, and you can do beamshots and all kind of cool stuff

thebucketmouse said:
here's something fun to do: throw a bit of electrical tape into a plastic drink bottle and screw the cap on tight. then burn the plastic as much as you want from outside the bottle till its full of smoke, and you can do beamshots and all kind of cool stuff

Great idea! I'm going to have to try that out.

-Mark

Things

You can also blu-tack a match into the lid, and light it inside the bottle. Its cool to watch. Just make sure it doesnt set the plastic on fire, you wont be using that smoke for beam shots for long!

ixfd64

Here are some fun things you can do with your lasers that I could think of:

1. Try to set the record distance for lighting matches or popping balloons. The current record is 100 yards (91.4 m) by NOVAlasers and Laserglow, with Bondr006 from Laser Community at about 95 yards (86.9 m).

2. Bring them to school dances. Be warned, though: some schools, especially middle and high schools, do not allow students to bring laser pointers.

3. Go camping with them!

4. Bring them to cave tours. However, you should be careful, as cave walls can be reflective.

5. Take them with you on a cruise.

6. Use them in places with a lot of geothermal activity, such as Yellowstone National Park.

7. Pop things that most people won't think of, such as beach balls, latex gloves or even condoms. ;D

8. Use them at firework shows.

9. Take them to the beach - at night.

10. Use them in a hall of mirrors - just make sure there's nobody else around.

11. Shine it at a tornado.

12. Use them in a smoke-heavy environment, such as near a forest fire. (Sorry if this is a bit tasteless.)

13. Bring them to the mountains. Find out if you can see the dot on them. It's even better if there's snow.

14. Pit them against the northern lights.

I'll let you guys guess which events actually happened. In terms of possibilities though....endless.

Light matches to light friends cigarettes who dont have lighters or a match box to strike them on.

I pointed my envee onto the big dipper and my friends could see it almost 7 miles away!

Stage an alien attack from a big hill onto a small neighborhood full of gullable kids.

Fuse Deuterium-tritium capsules.

Cut down trees.

I think that about all I can do with one for now.