Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Fun quick comparison of yellow/orange wavelengths [pic heavy]

Ok, so first off I can't quite decide where to put this, as it could fit in a couple topics, so feel free to move it.

Just some pics that are my take on comparison between yellows, with some orange and red in the mix to help it along for reference. These are not altered, and are natural shots, with the camera's compensations mostly turned off, to give better color. comparing them with what I see here in RL its as close as I've ever seen to real life. take a look! :tinfoil:

Mainly this is the comparison between the two yellow-orange wavelengths, as well as 611.9nm (red-orange) from a HeNe, and 632.8nm (kind of a pinkish red orange) also from a HeNe. all powers are less than 5mW and are CW, TEM00 and quite stable. The 589 is from a 5mW short term intensity stablized PGL-C, as well as good quality stablized HeNes from Melles Griot for the others.

First subject! This is 588.6nm that we all love and hallow as 'yellow' it does technically have some orange in it, but only a bit. followed by 594.1nm which is an orange yellow, kind of a amber color on the right. this pic is a bit over exposed, but its fairly good at showing the color difference.
589_5941nm5mW_zps3b9ed190.jpg

I also apologize in advance for images getting fuzzy, this is a combination of taking the shots in the dark, to eliminate color queues as well as resizing the images to be a bit more friendly side by side. These are shots into a frosted lamp bulb on the ceiling, and what makes these so great is tthat the shape allows me to show the intensity you'd normally see in the center, while comparing it to the real color above it as it diffuses into the glass, giving you two clean colors, seeing the huge difference it makes on your eye.

The order is 588.6, then 594.1, then to 611.9, and 632.8 last.
This should allow for an easy comparison of the colors.

lamp589_zps03a11399.jpg
lamp5941_zpsa532f27f.jpg

lamp612_zpsc79c2bf4.jpg
lamp6328_zps20ffbbcb.jpg

I also did some shots into my storm glass, which has similar effects. once again, we'll start at 588.6nm, and then move to longer wavelengths, red-shifting all the way back to 632.8. These really give the lasers a chance to shine and dazzle, as well as show off. note the diffusion onto the floor carefully as well as the color of the tube! :D (though sadly the 611.9 is a bit overly blurry from free-handing my pics) I also apologize that I couldn't effectively put these side by side without making them look like crap.

stormglass589_zps5d2801c4.jpg

stormglass5941_zps25000046.jpg

stormglass612_zps68217d20.jpg

stormglass6328_zpsbc1f29e3.jpg

I see alot of comments and questions on this, so I thought this'd be a fun thing to post and really show off the wavelengths for what they really are, and try to clear up some of the misconceptions around a few of them.

Cheers! :beer:

Last edited:

Wow above and beyond the average beam shots. I like how clean the colors are in the storm glass. Also interesting is the 594.1 in the frosted glass. It looks more orange than yellow.
Cool!
A 671nm would be interesting comparison too.
Are these all gas ?

Last edited:
588.6nm (589) is solid state, the others are gas. I would include the deep reds but they don't show up properly. 670.5 (671) is also solid state, and is quite a bit more red, making the 630's look orange almost, getting more and more deep as you approach 690, which is a dark, deep ruby red color. (See my ruby rod shots for that color) I don't have those in 5mW powers, so while dim to the eye, they're still strong to the camera CCD. I'll try to add them later though.

Ok I gotcha. I'll check that thread out. I think 660-690nm are interesting wL. I tried to get in on one of the CNI group buys but I was a little late.

(Edit: oh I see your title is compare yellow/orange)

Solid state huh? I get a subscription to a photonics magazine and that seems to be the direction things are going. I like that magazine and hate it at the same time because they flaunt the latest and greatest but are quite a stretch for a lowly hobbyist. $$$

Last edited:
True, but don't forget, all lasers cost that at some point. Your argon, (and mine) were once around $10-15K new as well. HeNes are usually 500-2000 each new as well depending on size.

As for deep red, I agree, and I love the color, but it just doesn't show on camera well.

Last edited:
right? deep red can seem harder to catch than 405. well, the deepest red I have is 660, but it's still tough. ever seem brucemir's 594/589 comparisons? he's taken some killer pics that show the difference real ***y:D

woah, I just noticed we both joined the same month, from colorado, and have similar post/rep. crazy

for fun here's a 638 and 660 shot I managed

that tricksy 405:

Last edited:
Nice job. Yeah these were made to supplement that thread. I find these are a touch more accurate color-wise to my eyes. But his are cleaner.

Last edited:

DB8088

Beautiful pics!

right? deep red can seem harder to catch than 405. well, the deepest red I have is 660, but it's still tough. ever seem brucemir's 594/589 comparisons? he's taken some killer pics that show the difference real ***y:D

woah, I just noticed we both joined the same month, from colorado, and have similar post/rep. crazy

for fun here's a 638 and 660 shot I managed

that tricksy 405:

DB8088

I don't know if he could have done a better job showing the differences between the 593.5, which I purchased from him because of this photo shoot, and the 589.

Just noticed this :O Very nice pictures. It's hard to imagine that 5nm would make such a drastic difference, until you witness it yourself. The yellow -> orange spectrum is so narrow compared to green and red. 5nm within red is nothing, barely noticeable in green, moreso in blue, then drastically in the yellow -> orange transition.

I only wish I had a decent camera to take shots of my oranges ..

"Young Sam" took this at SELEM last year. With fog in the room, and long exposure. This is the 4 line :)

o9bd.jpg

MarioMaster took this one (also at SELEM)
0q0r.jpg

Awesome! He still has a ML melles tube. He told me he might sell it to me to replace the one that broke.

Awesome!!

And I legitimately meant "young Sam". There was another Sam there that was young, and with Goldwasser, that had a decent camera.