Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FS: Tunable Argon Laser Head

Rivem

I've got an Ion Laser Technology 5425ASL-00C laser head that I picked up at an auction last year. It was supposed to be in a lot with the PSU and controller, but the auctioneer 'lost' the rest of the lot.:mad:

4I9JX68l.jpg

No idea if this head works or not, but it's in very good shape. It definitely can run on a 115V PSU, and it may have a 220 option as well.

I've had my eye out for the remaining cables and components, but I can't find more than the PSU alone in my area. They arent that rare for anybody that might live in a more populated place though. I'd be interested if somebody else knows where to get the parts, but it looks like it might get torn apart and given a custom HV supply.

I figured I'd ask if any of you are interested in it before such a pristine high-end head is ghetto-rigged. Not sure on what I'd ask on the price yet since shipping would be steep, and I need to charge what'd be worth it to me for packing.

Just let me know if any of you are interested. Send me a zip via PM, and I'll try to get a total price shipped to you. Keep in mind I'm going on a trip for the next 2 weeks and need to get this out of storage, so pricing will have a delay.

Edit: Just to be more clear, I'd like to make sure this is around/below $100 shipped for anybody interested in the continental US.

Last edited:

Re: FS: Multiline Argon Laser Head

The SL in the part number indicates this is a single line argon. That means 488nm only. Hard to say what the power output might be , but my best guess is 20 to 40 mW. Would have to research further to know more about it.

Rivem

The SL in the part number indicates this is a single line argon. That means 488nm only. Hard to say what the power output might be , but my best guess is 20 to 40 mW. Would have to research further to know more about it.

That's true. I didn't explain it correctly. It's single line, but it's tunable from 488nm to 514nm. Output should be 10mW with 110V PSU.

Last edited:

diachi

I would agree with the above.

Spec says 200mW multiline/multimode or 40mW at 488 or 514. For single mode optics the power rating is 50% of the above. These were available with a Littrow Prism for wavelength selection, not sure if the model number differed for that version. It'd be an obvious component on the HR end if it's there.

These are external mirror tubes, so you could potentially change the mirrors.

Rivem

I would agree with the above.

Spec says 200mW multiline/multimode or 40mW at 488 or 514. For single mode optics the power rating is 50% of the above. These were available with a Littrow Prism for wavelength selection, not sure if the model number differed for that version. It'd be an obvious component on the HR end if it's there.

These are external mirror tubes, so you could potentially change the mirrors.

This one is indeed the wavelength tunable version. I just had a brain fart.

It's too bad you couldn't get the PS for this unit as it would have been fun to try to tune it with the Littrow Prism. Not sure if this could be done with existing mirrors. Then again, it might not still be functional.

vk2fro

I know this thread is old but I thought I'd chime in as I'm all ILT'ed out having done tonnes of research on these things. That for sure has a littrow prism in the back, and is a 10mW 488-514 laser and is powered by the 5400A power supply. To change the wavelength you adjust the vertical mirror adjust screw with an allen wrench just a hair (and i mean a HAIR). keep adjusting till you find the line you want. Do not turn more than 90 degrees or you'll detune the cavity. I have seen its bigger brother, the 5500AWC, which does 100+mW on 488 and 514. At full power the 5500 model will easily pop a balloon. :)

Rivem

I know this thread is old but I thought I'd chime in as I'm all ILT'ed out having done tonnes of research on these things. That for sure has a littrow prism in the back, and is a 10mW 488-514 laser and is powered by the 5400A power supply. To change the wavelength you adjust the vertical mirror adjust screw with an allen wrench just a hair (and i mean a HAIR). keep adjusting till you find the line you want. Do not turn more than 90 degrees or you'll detune the cavity. I have seen its bigger brother, the 5500AWC, which does 100+mW on 488 and 514. At full power the 5500 model will easily pop a balloon. :)

Thanks for all that info vk2fro. Still have it in storage since there haven't been any bites. Thinking about getting a supply, but I'm not really sure how I'd wire it up without the remote or cables.

vk2fro

ILT's default to the head pot if there is no remote. But without the cable, you're kinda outta luck.

I've made a post in the gas laser forum detailing the remote pinouts, but don't use it until I confirm once I get my ILT 5500ASL back :)

edit: This cable might work: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Laser-p...578570?hash=item43f45d858a:g:M70AAOSw9IpXyJ~f

Touch pricy to be taking a gamble though.

Pretty sure these are all the same - its the pins on the power supply/laser that change e.g. a spectra physics will be different to a ILT, which will be different to a JDSU again. Thats why you normally can't even interlock a laser from the same brand with a same brand but different model supply (or worse, it blows up - no really thats what interlocks are for. It stops you making that mistake!!). But you'll be good to go with a 5400A. And a fan! Argons run hot, REALLY hot; although ILT's are better at heat management than others. Do not run it without the fan :)

btw did you get a refund for the "missing pieces" from the auctioneer?

Last edited:

Rivem

ILT's default to the head pot if there is no remote. But without the cable, you're kinda outta luck.

I've made a post in the gas laser forum detailing the remote pinouts, but don't use it until I confirm once I get my ILT 5500ASL back :)

edit: This cable might work: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Laser-p...578570?hash=item43f45d858a:g:M70AAOSw9IpXyJ~f

Touch pricy to be taking a gamble though.

Pretty sure these are all the same - its the pins on the power supply/laser that change e.g. a spectra physics will be different to a ILT, which will be different to a JDSU again. Thats why you normally can't even interlock a laser from the same brand with a same brand but different model supply (or worse, it blows up - no really thats what interlocks are for. It stops you making that mistake!!). But you'll be good to go with a 5400A. And a fan! Argons run hot, REALLY hot; although ILT's are better at heat management than others. Do not run it without the fan :)

btw did you get a refund for the "missing pieces" from the auctioneer?

Haha yep. I used an ILT head for an optics lab. I'll have to see if I can find another supply, but I think that's the cable.

Auctioneer was not sympathetic at all. I got a very partial refund after months by complaining every week, but they said they still charged for their own various fees and such. It's the only lab surplus nearby though, so I just make sure I get a thorough inspection before jumping on anything. I've definitely avoided anytime I don't.

Pretty sure he just sold the rest of the lot later that day when they were taking care of the miscellaneous junk.

vk2fro

Pretty piss poor if you ask me - if you bid and won X and they only give you Y, thats bait and switch. I'm looking down the barrel of one of these scams now, not due to a seller, but due to Ebay's PBI repacking a parcel. Seller says the ILT is 25" long, yet Fedex says package is 22" long. So it looks like PBI removed the nice adjustable baseplate from my laser in order to save weight. I hope they didnt cut off the umbilical with a "she'll be right" attitude "he can make a new one", "its only a wire". Global Shipping Program. Worst thing ever :p

Last edited: