Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FS: Stainless Steel CR2 Kit - Polished! - SCHWEET!

It's a matter of build style...

You can do it that way, but you can get the negative feed to the driver from the pill...

If you get the 'Hot' option kit from me, it will be done that way. And all you need to do is connect my lead wires from the driver output, to your diode...

So if i get the hot option from you i do not have to bend the case pin to the negative one, right ?

jayrob

That's correct, there will be a positive and negative wires from my driver install. The diode case pin will not be used...

In fact, if it is a Micro Boost install, it is especially important NOT to use the case pin...

jayrob

caseyg2007, I sent your Stainless Steel CR2 kit with other items today. (Tuesday)

Hope you like the kit!

Thanks Jay can't wait for it to arrive. I'll give you an update when I finish the build.

EDIT 01/03/2011: Got the host in today. I gotta say the host is very nice and sleek. The heatsink is a little loose, but I'm gonna try to utilize the space with some thermal tape to get the best transfer of heat. Don't be fooled though the craftsman ship is top notch on the heatsink. It is super heavy, and believe it will stay nice and cool for a bit. I will edit again when I have the laser built. I'm waiting on my microboost to come in so I can set it to 400mA for my 12x.

Thanks again,
Casey

RE-EDIT 01/07/2011: I got this little bad boy put together today. Took me about 30 minutes, but that was due to battery issues. I got it all worked out now, and it sits at 399mA with a 405-g-2 (sorry Jay I'm cheap, and couldn't resist). I have to admit considering its size I can keep it running for around 2-3 minutes before it needs to cool down. I do however follow the 1 minute rule. Thanks again Jay for the nice host. I will do a more in depth review when I get my camera back.

Last edited:
Very nice host. The stainless steel exterior in combination with the weight of the host gives it a well built and durable feeling. I also added a 405-G-1 lens and a focus ring to the host. Craftsmanship is excellent on the heatsink and focus ring. My personal mods to the pill and heatsink, to keep them from twisting wires. Finished product is: A140-445, 405-G-1 lens with focus ring, flex drive v5, measuring in at 630mA, and output measured with a 2010 kenometer pro, measures in at 670mW (not peak reading)

jayrob

Thanks for posting back with feedback! :)

caseyg2007, I can't make the heatsink fit snug or else it could bind while trying to thread the pill/heatsink assembly into the head...

It has to be able to fit through the threaded area on the inside of the head. But it can easily be centered before the final tightening is done with the pill...

Glad your guys' builds went well!

rhd

Received this kit and LOVE it :)

With not much effort it will accommodate the NJG-18 boost driver, and I was seeing ~700mA from 3.0V CR2s. Beautiful kit!

jayrob

Received this kit and LOVE it :)

With not much effort it will accommodate the NJG-18 boost driver, and I was seeing ~700mA from 3.0V CR2s. Beautiful kit!

It is a sweet little host huh?

Hey do you have a link to that driver?

jayrob

It's fantastic!
Is that the smallest of the 445 capable kits?

The driver is discussed here:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f67/njg-18-multimode-boost-driver-445nm-650nm-55496.html

The US source anticipates it back in stock mid March

Ah that's basically a flashlight driver I believe...

But the 445 diodes are so tough,that it's probably ok using that driver.

The only kits that I have with drivers, which are smaller than the SS CR2 kit, are my Key Chain CR2 kit, and my Key Chain 10280 kit...

And even smaller yet, is my Tiny Titanium Key Chain build. But it does not use a driver. Just direct from a 10180, with a silicon diode and a cap...

No 'Hot' options with any of those 3 Key Chain kits mentioned...

rhd

Oh it's DEFINITELY an LED driver, no doubt. But it has had fairly decent results for most people. I added a 10uF ceramic cap on that output, and they work beautifully in this kit :)

I have a Flexdrive sitting here, so the hot option isn't important for me. How much smaller than this ^ host is the Key Chain 10280 ?

jayrob

Oh it's DEFINITELY an LED driver, no doubt. But it has had fairly decent results for most people. I added a 10uF ceramic cap on that output, and they work beautifully in this kit :)

I have a Flexdrive sitting here, so the hot option isn't important for me. How much smaller than this ^ host is the Key Chain 10280 ?

Here's a picture of both:

key24.jpg

Fitting the driver is tricky. When I first made these, I was using V3 FlexDrives. But a few people have made them with my 'basic kit' since, using the V5 FlexDrive, and it fits.

The other thing is, you need to disable the stock circuit. There is a small resistor at one corner, and the center has a blob of glue which holds some kind of a component as well. There is also a wire trace in the board that needs to be scraped/cut. It leads from the center, to the edge.

See more details in this thread:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f38/268mw-6x-key-chain-blu-ray-flexdrive-awesome-20124.html

The 10280 battery can be ordered from AW: (his list says 'out of stock', but he has them)
AW's LiIon Batteries Sales Thread *Part 12*

My kit, is just the host that is drilled out at the front to fit an AixiZ module, and at the tail cap to fit a 10280. I would say due to the size of it, it's probably the trickiest build I have...

Last edited: