Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FS: SolarForce L2P Kit! - 18650 Host With Massive Heatsink...

jayrob

I'm sure it could probably be made to fit, but not too sure about what current you would want to run it at in that host and battery...

I've got some of those LED's on the way from DTR, and I plan on trying one out in a Maglite...

I ordered a couple of these 9 Amp drivers shown here:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...-SST-50-SST-90

I got the adjustable ones. I plan on maybe trying it at around 7 Amps on that red LED in a Mag build to see how it does. I'll have it on a nice heatsink in there. And an aluminum reflector with glass lens because I expect that it will get very warm easily at that current...

I just thought of sharing my solarforce build with you!
*here*
Thanks Jay!

Nice! :)

:gj:

Last edited:
I'm sure it could probably be made to fit, but not too sure about what current you would want to run it at in that host and battery...

I ordered a couple of these 9 Amp drivers shown here:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...-SST-50-SST-90

I got the adjustable ones. I plan on maybe trying it at around 7 Amps on that red LED in a Mag build to see how it does. I'll have it on a nice heatsink in there. And an aluminum reflector with glass lens because I expect that it will get very warm easily at that current...

The 3 builds I've seen have been direct drive builds. I haven't heard anything negative yet from this approach... :whistle:

jayrob

The 3 builds I've seen have been direct drive builds. I haven't heard anything negative yet from this approach... :whistle:

Yep... Of course it will all depend on what battery you use...

Some batteries will probably kill that emitter if they can put out more current than it can handle. Like possibly an IMR battery might put out too much current using direct drive??

And also, the LED will get less current as the battery drains, and not be a regulated output...

Last but not least, I'm going to use a 2D Maglite with 2 X 32650 Li-Ion's. And you need a buck driver for a set up like that...

Those drivers I ordered were expensive, but should make for some nice builds! :)

Last edited:

jayrob

:bumpit:

Udate:

New heatsink design option!

If your sure that you will be using a V5 FlexDrive, and you want to thermal glue it into the heatsink, you can request this 'V5 Thermal Glued Design' heatsink when ordering my SolarForce kit... (same price)

L2P%20Thermal%201.jpg

L2P%20Thermal%202.jpg

L2P%20Thermal%203.jpg

You just need to specify when ordering if you want this heatsink design for your basic kit, or the 'Hot' option kit. (same price for the 'Hot' option kit as well)

This particular heatsink, is shortened. Because the buyer wanted it to sit below the stock flashlight glass lens for a water proof build... :cool:

L2P%20Thermal%204.jpg

arcaneinsomniac, let us know how that water proof build turns out!

I'm shipping your heatsink today... :)

Last edited:

Viktor

Hi Jay,
Could you send me the lens and gasket that came stock with the kit I ordered?

jayrob

Hi Jay,
Could you send me the lens and gasket that came stock with the kit I ordered?

Yes I always send all the spare parts with the kits!

One thing though...

If your planning on a water proof build like arcaneinsomniac, then I need to know when ordering. His heatsink had to be made so that it would sit below the inside lip that the stock glass lens sits on.'

Edit: After doing some research of your order from last year, I see that your kit was my personal (just like brand new) build that I just removed the diode/module from.

I remember that we had talked about my back log of orders, and that if you wanted an immediate shipment, then I could sell you my personal build if I just took out the diode...

But I had thrown the stock flashlight lens away...

The replacement lens with o-ring can be ordered here for $4.99 plus $2 dollars shipping.

http://solarforce-sales.com/product_detail.php?t=FA&s=27&id=128

It's easy to register. If you want to order it, send me a private message, and I will 'gift' you $6.99 to order the lens and seals...

Last edited:

Viktor

uuummm I said,
"I'm all about quality: speed comes in a distant second :)
Thanks,"
This is a direct quote from the last pm before shipment, I never asked for a immediate shipment and we have never spoken verbally.

I used my own driver also.

I just want the lens so I can use the host as a flash light.

jayrob

Hmmm... well I got you mixed up with somebody else then...

After all, your order was October of last year.

Anyway, I always send all the parts. So I'm kind of scratching my head. :thinking:

But it's only $4.99 plus $2 dollars shipping to order a new lens with seals. So I don't mind paying for that.

Just send me a private message with your PayPal e-mail, and I will 'gift' you $6.99

You can order here:
Solar Force

You will just have to register first. Which is easy, and only takes a minute to do...

jayrob

:bumpit:

Update:

Optional Custom EzFocus Bezel:

I can also fit the EzFocus disc, to the I.D. of the bezel, and glue it in place... ($15 dollar upgrade - specify when ordering)

L2P custom EzFocus 2.jpg

L2P custom EzFocus 3.jpg

This custom EzFocus adapter is glued to the SolarForce bezel, so that the bezel, is the EzFocus adapter.

Since the bezel was also threaded, the threads have been machined down enough, so that the bezel can turn without catching any threads.

In a build like this, the final assembly will be a little 'trial and error' to adjust the position of the bezel/EzFocus adapter.

It’s a matter of adjusting the module position inside the heatsink. (1.5mm Hex wrench needed for the heatsink set screw)

First, assemble your laser, and thread the EzFocus/bezel/lens assembly into the module last. Focus the laser, and then just take note of the gap at focus. (where the bezel would meet the head of the host)

After taking note of the gap, you can then take out the EzFocus/bezel/lens assembly, and remove the head to expose the heatsink set screw. Then move your module position accordingly. Test again…

lazd, I'm shipping yours today! Hope you like it! :)

Last edited:
Jayrob, that is really damn cool. So now the bezel ring is a part of the focus ring, and you just machined down the bezel's threads so it spins freely in its space. Brilliant.

What do you think about setting down the unit on its head though? It would be resting the weight of it against the lens..

jayrob

It's a close fit for the bezel after the machining...

So it does lightly rub against the head.

In other words, there is some support other than the lens threads. But even if not, it's all metal with a metal lens nut... :)

My Solarforce has been rockin for about a year now and I have to say it still blows me away when I fire up that 445 nm beam. All my friends are spellbound by it.

Hey Jay... How could we use this square UV diode in your kit???

I found UV 365 nm for $103.00 at roithner...

http://www.roithner-laser.com/datash...65-330-smd.pdf

Thanks dOOd !
Jeff

jayrob

Glad you like the build! :beer:

That link to the UV diode did not work??