Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FS: New 'Side Button' Host/Heatsink Combo Kit!

jayrob

No problem at all! Let me know how your build goes! :)

slashdavid, I sent your Side Button combo (and other combo) today. (Tuesday)

:thanks:

I just got the package, and it looks great. It's even smaller than I thought it would be, and it looks like the build will be even easier. Unfortunately, the module I ordered Friday, Didn't ship out until yesterday, so I guess I'll have to wait.:cryyy:
Tomorrow I'm going to the hardware store and pick up the supplies to make one of Warske's IR thermometer power meters. Then at least I'll have a ballpark power to post.

Thanks again.

Well, the module arrived yesterday and it's now together. I sacred the hell out of myself when I first put it together. I soldered the leads together and coated them with a thin layer of silicone sealant, to keep them from shorting, and assembled it. I hit the button and nothing, so I shut it off and got out the battery pack as quick as I could. It turned out, the leads from the diode were so thin, that one of them broke near where I soldered it during reassembly. I re-soldered the leads, hoping to hell I hadn't burned out the driver. This time it worked.:bowdown:
Apparently I got one on the very low end of the spectrum. I can't see the beam, even at night, unless I'm looking down the barrel of the host. When I put the beam through smoke, it's the same color as the bulb of a black-light. Even the spot, when slightly out of focus,is barely visible from a fairly short distance. I knew that it wasn't goung to be nearly as bright as a green, but I thought that even BluRay beams became visible at around 70-80mW at night, and mine should be at least 170mW. It will, however, light matches and I even popped a balloon from 18ft.

I do have a couple of questions:

1. Is my diode abnormally low on the spectrum? There is nothing blue about it.
2. On the sheet that came with the module it said that at 190mA the diode should draw about 5V, but the combination of 3 AAAs is only 4.5V. The fact that the laser is working, means it must be getting enough current but is it really enough? Will that affect the power output of the laser? I seem to remember seeing somewhere AAA size batteries that were 3+ volts each. If they exist, should that work better?
3. The laser has a very distinct focal point. I have to adjust the focus differently at 1ft, 5ft, 10ft, etc... to get a dot as opposed to a relatively dim violet blur. Is this an inherent problem with focusable lenses? Is it even possible to get a relatively parallel beam like most pointers?

All the same, I really do like it (it happens to be my favorite color), and shining it on anything florescent is just insanely bright. I was really hoping the beam would be visible but I guess that gives me an excuse to build another one later (hopefully with a higher wavelength).

Thanks again.

P.S. You weren't kidding about removing the back of the acrylic lens. It was easily twice as bright.

jayrob

Good job on your build!

405nm Blu-ray is not blue, but more violet... And it is very close to UV. Because of that, it is difficult for our eyes to see it. Some see it different than others.

Most will see the beam reaching out into the night sky on a 100mW+ blu-ray. If your popping a balloon at 18', I would imagine that you have at least that much power. Probably more.

About the voltage, the FlexDrive is a boost circuit that uses extra current to boost voltage to what the diode is asking for, so you don't have to worry about that, your diode is getting the correct voltage. It will work with as little as 2.5 volts supply.

Just a reminder, be careful with that thing! It can damage the eye instantly with a direct shot, or a reflection...

About your focusing question, this is normal. If you want it focused for a good all around pointer. Try getting it focused for the best 'visual dot' at about 25' or 30'. This seems to be a good place for general pointing. (IMO)

Last edited:
Hey Jay. I do have one more question about output vs. input. I just tried lighting a match with my newly built laser, and held it well focused for 20+ seconds, from a foot away, with no real effect. I then swapped the old ones with brand new batteries (I had to scavenge batteries last night, before I could get to the store to get new batteries this morning), and there was smoke the moment it hit the head of the match. I noticed this effect on my newer high power green one a while ago (the low battery effect, not the match thing) and, just to test if it was the same, I swapped the batteries and it was,in fact, a lot stronger. If the Flex-Drive keeps the power stable, why does a new set of batteries make it noticeably stronger? I suppose that it could be variations in the diode's output , but it is repeatable when I swap the batteries back and forth. I have been reading the thread about you guys passing around a couple of "standard" lasers to calibrate/compare your LPMs. http://laserpointerforums.com/f38/power-meter-calibration-comparison-20059.html (I still haven't finished reading it (A.D.D.? (oh look, a bunny))). Anyways, you all seemed to agree that the Flex-Drive would provide the same power output despite the battery's charge. Did I misread that? I'm just wondering if I'm going to have to worry about changing out half used batteries to get it to do it's "tricks" (my 5yr old <5mW is on maybe it's 3rd set of AAAs).

Thanks again, again.:thanks:

jayrob

With a FlexDrive build, the driver will be regulating constant current until the supply voltage drops to 2.5 volts under load.

I have tested this with power readings. The battery you have, must be very low is all.

You can't always go by what the voltage reads on the battery. If the battery is not performing well, it can show a good voltage, but as soon as you put a load on it, it will not handle the current.

Unless the driver is damaged, the issue you are having, is simply the battery, not the driver...

jayrob

Crazy Jay, I am sending your Side Button combo (and other item) today. (Friday)

I have the 'Hot' option set at 300mA's per your request.

Hope your 8X build goes well! :)

Freakin sweet. Thanks Jay. Dave suggested that I run it safely at 300ma so hopefully with that lens it will be around 400mw

I got it today and put it together. Let me just say it like this.

It gives off such a professional and expensive feel. What an amazing thing it is. The 405g1 lens makes a really thin beam. The diode itself fits perfectly and it never gets hot. It even smells nice. I might be able to get one of your green builds this month. Well see.

It feels nice and heavy but lightweight and its all metal.

It is my first 405mn laser and I spent around 304 dollars.
Last I check, a laser like this cost over a thousand dollars.

With your kits around, I won't buy an official laser ever again :yh:

jayrob

Your first blu-ray build is an 8X?!

Nice! Be careful with that thing...

Glad you like the host. :)

Thanks for posting back!

Your first blu-ray build is an 8X?!

Nice! Be careful with that thing...

Glad you like the host. :)

Thanks for posting back!

HAHA well the bigger the better :D

Your right about being careful .. that thing stings on the skin without being focused. Yet I can't seem to stop doing it :thinking:

jayrob

Your spoiled on power now... :cool:

Scotoma, I sent your Side Button kit (and other items) today. (Monday)

Thanks!

wow... as soon as I can save a bit, I'm seriously considering this.....
looks great!

jayrob

It's a great host!

I have them on hand, just let me know when your ready. :)

Only thing is though, it will be a really close fit to put a full length AixiZ module in there. I think it can be done by moving the pill a little lower in the host. But a FlexDrive build would be my recommendation for this host...

It's a great host!

I have them on hand, just let me know when your ready. :)

Only thing is though, it will be a really close fit to put a full length AixiZ module in there. I think it can be done by moving the pill a little lower in the host. But a FlexDrive build would be my recommendation for this host...

My plan is to put one of moh's modules in here... do you think that might be a bit big?