Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FS: ***MXDL Custom Machined Heatsinks***

jayrob

FS: MXDL (And Other) Custom Machined Heatsinks!

Custom fit heatsinks for the MXDL. Perfect for any DIY laser using the MXDL host. Highly recommended for making a high powered red, using an open can diode. Or, if you are getting in on the Phazor diode GB.

Check this thread for MXDL Host/Heatsink Combo kits! :D
http://laserpointerforums.com/laser_pointer_forums_3/forum/showthread.php?t=22512

Note: See below for my new 'Hexagon Heatsinks' for your labby style projects or green module builds! :)

If anyone is interested, I am currently making my custom MXDL heatsinks available. Using this heatsink, Gazoo and I, along with a couple of others, have been running the open can diodes with a DDL driver at 420mA's. (3 ohm resistor) This combination gives you 300mW's (+ or - 10) in a hand held laser! (Meredith glass lens) If the lens is acrylic, the output would be around 250mW's...
MXDL%20meredith1.jpg

Iceweasel%20David%20H%207-10-08.jpg

The widest part of the heatsink, is the same 'thickness' as the MXDL reflector and glass lens that you will be removing, so that the threaded retaining ring will hold the heatsink securely in place. They are made specifically for this MXDL, which Daedal first showed in his 'DIY Laser Torch' thread:
DealExtreme: $12.66 MXDL 5W Lumileds CR123A 6V Flashlight

* I am offering them for $23 dollars a piece, plus shipping.
* Shipping & handling will be a flat rate of $3 dollars. They will be fit for AixiZ, or Meredith modules, your choice.
* Please read my shipping policy here!

The heatsinks are drilled out, just a little larger in diameter than the modules, and have a set screw for positioning and securing the module. Either style will include the set screw.

You will need a 1.5mm Allen wrench for the set screw. (wrench not included)

MXDL%20open%20can%20pair.jpg

These heatsinks are designed for easy installation, and will also allow you to easily change or remove the module/diode if necessary.

Here's a link to my 'Heatsink Tips', if you want to take a look at some install details and notes on fitting the DDL driver: (these documents may take a minute to download)
http://www.sonic.net/~jayrob/MXDLHeatsinkTips.doc
Here's another link to some 'Driver Tips':
http://www.sonic.net/~jayrob/MXDLDriverTips.doc

PayPal is best. PM me if you are interested!

New For others to know...
I want to post this picture from time to time, to remind everybody that there are now three different MXDL hosts, that I am making heatsinks for. Each build, has a different host, heatsink, battery supply, and driver.

Any heatsink can be fit for your choice of AixiZ, or Meredith.

1. 4171 - ($23 plus shipping) The MXDL that takes 2 X 3.6 volt rechargeable batteries for the high powered red diodes: (using a FlexDrive, with 3.0 volt batteries, this host is also great for a blu-ray build. As are the other hosts using the FlexDrive!)
DealExtreme: $12.66 MXDL 5W Lumileds CR123A 6V Flashlight

2. 3405 - ($23 plus shipping) The MXDL that takes 3 X AAA size (3.6 volt 10440 batteries for the blu-ray build/DDL driver):
DealExtreme: $11.88 5W Luxeon Lumiled 3-AAA MXDL Flashlight

3. 5387 – ($25 plus shipping) The ‘side button’ MXDL that takes 3 X AAA size batteries:
DealExtreme: $6.10 MXDL 1W LED Flashlight Black (3xAAA)
If DX is out of the 5387 host, use the 5095 host. It is the exact same for this build:
DealExtreme: $10.57 MXDL 3W LED Flashlight (3xAAA)

The differences in these first two heatsinks, can barely be seen visually. But they are machined slightly differently for the fit into their respective MXDL hosts. Either style, can be fit for an AixiZ module, or a Meredith module.

Two%20models.jpg

In this picture, I have marked the heatsinks.

4171-A stands for 'DX SKU 4171 fit for AixiZ'.

3405-A stands for 'DX SKU 3405 fit for AixiZ'.

Note: Since we now have the FlexDrives, either host can be used for a Red, or a blu-ray build. So I will be marking the heatsinks with the DX SKU number of the host.

Just to let everybody know this. There would be no misunderstanding on your order, if you said 'I would like a 4171 - Meredith, and a 3405 - AixiZ'.

New: I have a Version 2 heatsink design for the sku's 4171 and 3405 hosts. Now you have another choice! :D

These two hosts have a massive heatsink and this new design still has plenty of mass...

V2%20heat1.jpg

These two hosts have enough room inside that we can have a heatsink that is 'flat'. Not protruding out the front. :)

Still will fit either module. Here's how the finished build will look with the version 2 heatsink:

V2%20heat2.jpg

V2%20heat3.jpg

So now you have more choices! :)

Just let me know which host, which module size, and which version! (same price)

4171 Update:
There is a new version of the sku 4171 host that some people are getting...

And as of 11/16/09, there seems to be a third change shown here:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/fs-mxdl-host-heatsink-combo-4171-3405-a-22512.html

Note: This (new style) 4171 host has a resistor buried in silicone. (inside the pill)

New%204171%20-%201.jpg

New%204171%20-%202.jpg

I have the adjusted measurements, and am making heatsinks for this new 4171 host in both heatsink designs. Versions 1 and 2! :)

You can see from the pictures the differences on the outside of the host. I just need to know which 4171 host you have, the old or the new...

I am going to keep posting this picture from time to time, so that new ones will understand...
Jay

P.S. Once again, besides the MXDL host & heatsink being different for these builds, the battery configuration will differ, depending on which driver you will be using...

New! Hexagon Heatsinks for you green modules or other labby style projects! :)

These are designed with the O-like Green Modules in mind, but I can fit the center hole for AixiZ, Meredith, or Green modules! :cool:

Hexagon%20Heatsink.jpg

These heatsinks are probably overkill as far as mass goes. I just ordered some 1" X 1" hexagon pieces. They should be great for those labby style projects!

Just let me know what size module to fit them for!

* $23 plus $3 dollars for shipping and handling...

Last edited:

Re: MXDL Custom Machined Heatsinks

I can vouch for jay, and say that indeed these are VERY nive heatsinks. Then make your MXDL look professional, as opposed to the DDL washer approach (no attack on DDL's ingenous Idea).

It also offers quite a bit of heatsinking.

You just slide the diode in, and tightent the set screw. you pop in the heatsink from the top, and the ring that used to hold the reflector and glass window in place will screw down onto the "fin" ofthe heatsink and hold it down. I will post some pics of mine soon (Gazoo and I got to have these in advance, I paid, gazoo earned his with awesome help that saved jay an open can from turning into an LED)

Trust me, you wont be dissapointed, regards,

amk

Gazoo

Yes these are very nice heatsinks and make doing the MXDL mod very easy. Jay was nice to send me one for my help, but I have ordered another one from him and I paid for it. They are worth every penny and really keep the diode cool. I look at it this way:

$12.00 for the MXDL
$22.00 for the heatsink.
$45.00 for a Meredith Module with glass lens
$35.00 for a DVD burner with an open can diode.
$6.00 for parts give or take a buck or two.

This all comes to be $120.00 total including shipping of the above, and you end up with a professionally looking 300mw laser!

Now lets assume you use an aixiz module...and get the DVD burner on sale for $25.00 In this scenario you can deduct appx. $50.00 form the price in which case you end up paying $70.00. In this case you end up with a professionally looking ~250mw laser. The reason the output is a little less is because of the acrylic lens in the aixiz module.

But as most of us know one can use a SenKat diode if weary of harvesting a diode, and still end up with a ~150mw. laser. No matter what diode or module you decide to use, it is a very easy mod...I am very impressed with the one I built, and am looking forward to my second build.

Benm

It's hard to tell from the picture, but how do these work exactly?

Do you fit the entire front portion of an aixiz module in them, or is de LD mounted directly in the heatsink only using te aixiz lens?

I just ordered one, and can't wait to get one. Jay is a great guy to deal with. And I want my next DIY red to not look DIY. Plus I have learned the hard way that heatsinkining is key on the overpowered reds. You can pay $20 for a heatsink, or $20+ everytime you burn up your diode....

jayrob

Benm said:
It's hard to tell from the picture, but how do these work exactly?

Do you fit the entire front portion of an aixiz module in them, or is de LD mounted directly in the heatsink only using te aixiz lens?

(I fixed the explanation in the first post to explain this a little better)

Benm, this picture shows how the heatsink is drilled straight through, the hole is sized just a little larger in diameter than the module size. There is a set screw on the side of the heatsink, allowing you to position the module. The cleanest look, is to position the module, so that it is flush with the face of the heatsink...
Jay
MXDL meredith1.jpg

Hey amk and Gazoo, thanks for those nice testimonials! I'm glad you like them. Good job there with the price scenarios Gazoo!

jayrob

desslok said:
I just ordered one, and can't wait to get one.  Jay is  a great guy to deal with.  And I want my next DIY red to not look DIY.  Plus I have learned the hard way that heatsinkining is key on the overpowered reds.  You can pay $20 for a  heatsink, or $20+ everytime you burn up your diode....

Hi desslok, I got your PayPal...Thanks! I will have it in the mail Saturday...Worst case, I'll make it Sunday, and mail it Monday. Let me know how you like it!
Jay

jay,
If I have a different host using 18650 battery can you make a heaksing for it as well if I send you the host? ::)

Very interested in one of these. Do you sell them with anything else? Like the meridith or anything? If not that would be a great idea

Daedal

I vouch for the excellent workmanship here 100%

Great job Jay :D

--DDL

jayrob

TheMonk said:
jay,
If I have a different host using 18650 battery can you make a heaksing for it as well if I send you the host? ::)

I really would like to just stick with the MXDL, since I already have the design and measurements. But, you can get an MXDL for only $12 bucks!

Very interested in one of these.  Do you sell them with anything else?  Like the meridith or anything?  If not that would be a great idea

Just making the heatsinks at this time. But, here's the link to the Meredith page:
http://www.mi-lasers.com/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?search=action&keywords=diode_optics

I do have a heatsink with a Sony/Senkat diode already mounted in an AixiZ module with acrylic lens, and pressed into the heatsink. (this heatsink is the 'pressed in style' - no set screw)
heat sink2.jpg

The LD has very little use. The silicon diode and cap are already soldered on, along with leads. (actually, this silicon diode and cap, is from my first MXDL that I bought from xgeek, but the LD that he had in there has since died, so I replaced it, and re-mounted it into one of my heatsinks) This set up, using a 4.3 ohm resistor at the LM317, will give you 200mW, running the diode at 294mA.  I would sell this assembly complete, for $45 bucks plus shipping. Otherwise, Let me know when you want one of the others...
Jay

jayrob

Daedal said:
I vouch for the excellent workmanship here 100%

Great job Jay :D

--DDL

Hey!... There's some input from the man himself! The one who started this whole MXDL thing. Thanks DDL, glad to hear you like your heatsink...
Jay

member02 said:
I think I want one.

you dont think, You KNOW that you want one.

also, mine came out liek this:

$35 for open can + module+ leads
$12 for MXDL
$22 for heatsink
---Already had Components for driver from mouser
$6 for aixiz glass lens (thanks Dr. Lava)
~$12 for DX charger and Rechargable 3.6v CR123's

all came out to: $87, and hopefully with the glass lens Ill be in the 300mW range, but Ill let my upcoming DIY LPM confirm that

Truly a good build, was just lighting fireworks with it (lights visco fuse ;D :eek:) and a friend of mine came up, he thought It was a professionally made expensive laser I had bought off the internet ;D ;)

I am very happy with the module, just make sure everything is soldered right before you screw everything in, my - lead from the Driver had come off the LD, and was touching the LD on an off. THANKFULLY I did not have a cap, and Therefore no spike to send my diode to its earthly tomb :-[ [smiley=engel017.gif] [smiley=happy.gif] [smiley=undecided.gif]

I got everything all right, and its working!!!

I do love it, but im skeptical about the meridith modules, I want to buy one, but I dont know if $45 is worth it...

regards,

amk

Attachments

• MXDL20attach20heat20sink.jpg
    MXDL20attach20heat20sink.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 1,022

jayrob

desslok and Gazoo, I just dropped off your new heatsinks at the post office today. (Saturday) You should see them probably Tuesday...
Jay