Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FS: Mag Charger XM-L T6 Modification - 1000 Lumens

jayrob

FS: Mag Charger XM-L U3 Modification - 1000 Lumens

A 1000 lumen XM-L U3 emitter with a 3 mode, 3 Amp driver in a Mag Charger is a nice upgrade for these super heavy duty Mag Charger flashlights...

Great for law enforcement, or anybody who wants to have their Maglite sitting in it's charging cradle, ready for use...

Note: I'm now using the new XML-2 emitters because they are better, but can use any emitter you would like... (I also have XM-L U3 1C on hand)

magcharger 1.jpg

The Mag Charger is built completely different from the normal Maglite that I show in my other XM-L U3 Maglite thread.

I'm using the same 3 mode / 3 Amp driver for this Mag Charger build, as I am using for my 2 cell build shown in the link above...

The finished mod, is a fixed focus. (best spot) With the brightness of the XM-L U3 emitter, you do not need to focus it. The spill is so bright, that you will always want it in the 'best spot focus'.

The following pictures, show some of the things that needed to be done in order for this mod to work with a Mag Charger...

Switch and heatsink fit:

* Stock circuit replaced
* Stock bulb stem removed
* Heatsink and driver mounting shown

magcharger 9.jpg

magcharger 5.jpg

magcharger 6.jpg

magcharger 7.jpg

Reflector:

The stock Mag Charger metal reflector opening on the back, gets enlarged to fit the XM-L U3 emitter. The plastic reflector holder gets modified as well. (for fitting my heatsink/emitter)

magcharger 10.jpg

Battery current draw:

magcharger 8.jpg

The battery pack, is made up of 5 X 1/2D size NiMH's in series...

I measured battery current draw at the tail: (3500mAh battery pack)

* High - 1820mA's Estimated run time - About 2 hours.
* Medium - 576mA's Estimated run time - About 6 hours.
* Low - 112mA's Estimated run time - Over 30 hours.

Pricing:

The pricing for this modification, is similar to my pricing for my normal Maglite XM-L U3 modification...

The main difference, is the initial cost of a Mag Charger light, with it's charging cradle and accessories. (link below)

If you already have a Mag Charger, you can send it to me for the mod. If not, I will ask for $130 dollars to order the complete light and charging cradle shown here: (which is my cost with shipping and everything)
RN1019 MagLite Mag Charger Rechargeable Flashlight, with AC/DC Adaptor

Mag Charger XM-L U3 modification:

* Mag Charger light with charging cradle and accessories - $130 (or send me your existing light)
* Modify with XM-L U3 emitter/heatsink/3 mode driver as shown in this thread - $126
* Shipping will be calculated on where shipped/how paid - (PM for total)
* Shipping policy:
Shipping Policy

Send me a private message if interested! :)

P.S. Here's a great video on YouTube that shows how these Mag Chargers come apart...

Last edited:

Bounty

How does the power of this compare to wicked lasers flashlight "the torch"?

jayrob

I have not tried that light, but if it's a light that can start paper on fire like I have seen videos of, this is not that type of build...

This build is for a very bright light that will give good run time between charges...

See more detail about the current draw, estimated run time at different modes, build pictures, etc... Here in this thread:
FS: 1000 Lumen XM-L T6 Maglite Mod With Voltage Monitor - Parts, or Complete Light!!

jayrob

Reserved for posting feedback from buyers...

I Love to see good feedback. In fact, I'm going to use this post to quote some of the feedback I've been getting on this build. So that I can link to it from other sites... :)

tommydonovan said:
Well I got my custom XM-L Magcharger in the mail two days ago and decided to do a small review for others who might be interested in getting one. Jayrob did an excellent job of modifying the light and kept in communication throughout the build. The light was packaged in the original box and shipped in another box with packaging. Well protected :). As far as the build goes, Jayrob posted plenty of pictures above as well as the specs, so I won't get into that.

The flashlight is VERY solid and is well made. The modifications Jayrob performed are all inline with this theme. I have a number of flashlights and did a quick comparison between all of them.

First up is my Inova T4. Mine is a 2009 model and rated at 200 Lumens. Needless to say, no comparison. I also have a Streamlight sl-20x with a Terra-Lux 600 Lumen drop in. The Mag has much more spill and the throw is no comparison either, in favor of the mag obviously. My brightest light is a Lumintop td-15x, rated at 720 Lumens. The hotspots on the two are fairly comparable in terms of brightness, but the diameter of the Mag's seems to be about twice as large (probably due to the larger surface area of the emitter I think, as the overall throw is very good and the beam seams to be very tight, just larger right out the front.) This does not seem to diminish the overall throw of the light. The spill on the Mag is MUCH larger. Overall output is noticeably brighter during a ceiling bounce test. As far as throw, the Mag had no problem illuminating a tree approximately 500 feet away last night. Seemed to illuminate roughly the same amount of the tree, just much better than did the Lumintop.

If having a scorchingly bright light always at the ready in a charger fits your needs, this is the one for you! Output is very good, durability, so far, seems to be excellent and the ease of use for a custom light is second to none-just drop it in the charger when you're done and it's always ready. No need to worry about buying batteries or swapping them out, etc. It also comes with two chargers, one for home and one for the car (where mine is used exclusively).

Disclaimer: If it wasn't apparent in my posting, I'm not an expert ;). These are just my impressions. Seriously though, great light and a great job by Jayrob!

iflyjts said:
Hey Jayrob,

I received my new modified M@gcharger in the mail as promised two days ago. Very impressive! I looks like the light came direct from the factory, you really took your time and it shows on the excellent
build quality. Thank you for answering all my questions before, during and after the build up. When I took the light outside after dark, that was when I (and my neighbors) new this was a "bright" light.
The somewhat "cool" hot spot is well defined and XM-L T6 (with the SMO reflector) throws a solid beam that lit up everything I pointed it at from close up to out over 100 ft. The three modes will make this a great light to have around the campsite for different "not so bright" needs. I have not been able to do any run times on the different modes running a fully charged NiMh M@glite battery pack, but i am sure
it will perform as you published.
I've got another magcharger that I will probably be sending you for the same build and I will be telling all my LEO police friends to send you their lights for this modification.

Thanks again...

iflyjts :thumbsup:

tommydonovan said:
Hello all,

Just posting to do a follow-up on my experience with Jayrob's XM-L Magcharger. I've had mine for about 5 months now. I've used it for hundreds of hours thus far. It gets abused regularly and hasn't missed a beat. Typical usage for me is as follows: Sits in my car for the majority of each day. It is subjected to 100+ to 30 degrees most days. I have to charge it very infrequently- in fact, it's never gone dead. I just throw it in the charger once a week or so. I have routinely ran it for 30 minutes + continuously on "high". I have had no overheating issues, even though the head does get "very warm" during these extended use sessions.

I have had a number of colleagues and others comment on how bright this light is. Sometimes, when it's darker out, it might even be "too bright". That term on this forum is probably akin to blasphemy lol. What I mean is that, at close range, when it's very dark, it can actually wash out what you're trying to see. Overall, I stand by my initial review, in that this is a stellar light, and if you're looking for a light that is easy to use, bright, and has good value- this is it! Thanks again Jayrob!

wildchild541 said:
I got my 1000 Lumen Magcharger today and its well worth it.
Blinding hotspot and a heap of flood!
Thank you Jayrob for the awesome flashlight :)

Last edited:

sac

A 1000 lumen XM-L T6 emitter with a 3 mode, 3 Amp driver in a Mag Charger is a nice upgrade for these super heavy duty Mag Charger flashlights...

Great for law enforcement, or anybody who wants to have their Maglite sitting in it's charging cradle, ready for use...

magcharger%201.jpg

The Mag Charger is built completely different from the normal Maglite that I show in my other XM-L T6 Maglite thread.

I'm using the same 3 mode / 3 Amp driver for this Mag Charger build, as I am using for my 2 cell build shown in the link above...

The finished mod, is a fixed focus. But with the brightness of the XM-L T6 emitter, you do not need to focus it. The spill is so bright, that you will want it in the 'best spot focus' anyway.

The following pictures, show some of the things that needed to be done in order for this mod to work with a Mag Charger...

Switch and heatsink fit:

The metal bulb stem gets cut shorter to make room for my heatsink. Which is held by a set screw as shown in the pictures. I machined the inside to bare metal for good heatsinking...
smile.gif

magcharger%205.jpg

magcharger%206.jpg

magcharger%207.jpg

Reflector:

The stock Mag Charger reflector gets removed from the reflector mount, and a 'normal Maglite reflector' gets used instead... (and a thinner glass lens as well)

magcharger%202.jpg

magcharger%203.jpg

magcharger%204.jpg

Battery current draw:

magcharger%208.jpg

The battery pack, is made up of 5 X 1/2D size NiMH's in series...

I measured battery current draw at the tail: (3500mAh battery pack)

* High - 1820mA's Estimated run time - About 2 hours.
* Medium - 576mA's Estimated run time - About 6 hours.
* Low - 112mA's Estimated run time - Over 30 hours.

Pricing:

The pricing for this modification, is similar to my pricing for my normal Maglite XM-L T6 modification...

The main difference, is the initial cost of a Mag Charger light, with it's charging cradle and accessories. (link below)

If you already have a Mag Charger, you can send it to me for the mod. If not, I will ask for $105 dollars to order the complete light and charging cradle shown here: (which is my cost with shipping and everything)
RN1019 MagLite Mag Charger Rechargeable Flashlight, with AC/DC Adaptor

Then for the XM-L T6 modification, the pricing is like so...

If it was a normal Maglite conversion as shown for my regular XM-L T6 Maglite ( FS: 1000 Lumen XM-L T6 Maglite Mod With Voltage Monitor - Parts, or Complete Light!! ), the pricing would be $104 dollars. (if you sent me your Maglite)

But as you can see in the build pictures, there were a couple of extra things that I needed to do for this Mag Charger XM-L T6 modification.

So the difference in the price, is as follows:

$104 plus...
Extra parts:
Normal Maglite reflector - $5
Glass lens - $2

Extra work:
Reflector modification and machine work for fitting the heatsink - $15

Sub total - $126

* Shipping (U.S.) - $24 (based on PayPal fees plus priority shipping with delivery confirmation)
* Shipping policy:
http://www.sonic.net/~jayrob/MXDL/shipping.html

Total - $150 dollars. (or for everything, including the Mag Charger light and charging cradle linked above, the total would be $255)

Send me a private message if interested! :)

P.S. Here's a great video on YouTube that shows how these Mag Chargers come apart...

I need the machined heat sink. How much and how do I purchase?

Steve

ARG

Steve

No need to quote his whole post mate, it's a pain to scroll through. Send him a PM for pricing and payment :beer:

jayrob

Steve

I'd probably have you send me the front piece if you just want the heatsink...

Because as shown in the picture below, I have to do a little boring on the I.D. of the Mag Charger front piece, and need it for good sizing of the heatsink.

Also, I need to put a set screw for holding the heatsink in place as shown.

Send me a PM! :beer:

magcharger%205.jpg

One other note. The new Mag Chargers have a multi-mode circuit built into the switch. So for my mod shown in this thread, I have to do a switch replacement mod on the newer models...

Last edited: