Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FS: IR Goggles  $15  (SPECS)

Update: Cheaper source right now on ebay.

I was fortunate to find several pairs of laser safety goggles through a military surplus outfit. I am keeping 2 pair and have a 3rd spoken for, so I'll offer the others to LPF members. These are not the bulky BLPS, SWDG or early generation safety goggles - they're 1999 issue SPECS goggles (Spectacles, Special Protective Eyewear, Cylindrical System.) They are the Class 3 (2WL) green goggles meant to attenuate ruby and Nd:YAG lasers commonly used for target designation in the military.

"protection against common red lasers, better visibility during low light conditions, markedly attenuates red and mildly attenuates yellow, blue, and brown, green is enhanced, may be marked with "S2" on the lens and is sometimes referred to as the "2WL", "Two Wavelength", or "Class 3" lens"

The MIL-SPEC contract for these specified the following minimum optical densities:
OD => 4 at 694.3 nm (ruby laser wavelength)
OD = 4 at 1064 nm (Nd:YAG laser wavelength)
VLT > 40%

For testing, the contract specified comparing attenuation to a known OD4 filter at both wavelengths. If the SPECS met or exceeded the control attenuation, they passed - so basically they are guaranteed at least OD4 at 694nm and 1064nm. They likely have a decent OD from 694nm - 1064nm, but the military's focus when they ordered glasses was at Ruby and Nd:YAG wavelengths. You can read about the exact specifications in MIL-PRF-31013.

I tried locating civilian equivalent goggles (someone made these for the military). NoIR makes a DI6 lense which fits the wavelengths and OD properties (for comparison).

DI6 190-400 nm 5+ 35% VLT Green
670-695 nm 3+
675-690 nm 5+
808-1070 nm 2+
830-1050 nm 4+

Sorry for the pic, best I can do with a cell camera. The goggles are single piece lab style goggles rather than the clip-on variety and are lightweight feeling when worn. They have adjustable ear pieces and a neck strap (yea... when did you ever wear a neck strap when playing with your laser?)

These are a good inexpensive IR protective goggle with moderate protection in red wavelengths. I would consider these adequate protection against diffuse reflections from red lasers in the wavelength and power we as hobbiests are likely to build. I would look elsewhere for goggles with a higher OD at 650nm if your focus is staring into a pinpoint reflection while trying to light a match at 6" with your 200mW SenTorch. Then again, they're spec'd to protect against a 15 caliber steel pellet or a 5.8 grain T-37 shaped fragment at 650 feet per second, which from some of your crazy experiment stories I've read may be a plus.

PM me with your PayPal info and I can send an invoice - $16 shipping included. If someone can tell me how to do Google checkout as someone receiving money, I will go $15 shipped using that method. First 6 to send their info get the goggles.

Attachments

• SPECS.jpg
    SPECS.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 159

Re: FS: IR / Red Goggles  $25

I have read a review on CPF on these exact same goggles. They are NOT suitable for protection against 650/660nm red. The reviewer had headaches and felt like crap after using these with his <80mW 650nm laser. Apparently the OD ratings fall off pretty fast once you depart from the 694nm wavelength they are designed for.

But you are selling them mainly as IR goggles I hope. Unless we all have ruby lasers stashed away somewhere. Actually I have an idea where you might be getting these from:-X

Thanks for the input, xarylx. I remember finding some thread months ago about a guy using 80mW doing close-up burning and he decided they let in too much light for that. I would not recommend them for staring at a close diffuse reflection.
I would look elsewhere for goggles with a higher OD at 650nm if your focus is staring into a pinpoint reflection while trying to light a match at 6" with your 200mW SenTorch.

Here's the GB from CP that tried getting BLPS. http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/archive/index.php/t-148181.html

They ended up failing for a few reasons. One source shipped the smoke lenses thinking they were Class 3's which is common.

The result back in January for the poor guy doing the GB was this:

"FINAL UPDATE FOR THIS THREAD:

I have invested more than 80 hours of my personal time to research laser safety glasses and find a discount supplier for this group buy. Some of you have helped and I am certain that everyone on the forum appreciates it. Despite our best efforts we have been unable to find an ideal solution at this time so I am requesting that this thread be closed. My reasons for this include:

surplus BLPS and SPECS suppliers have great prices but they only have limited quantities or discontinued models which don't offer full laser protection the military BLPS and SPECS supplier has not responded with a price quote yet and it seems unlikely that they will sell to us for less than the US military most other product suppliers have great products but only at higher prices of $50 and up, and they haven't responded yet or won't give us much of a discount the few product suppliers which have great products and agreed to give us big discounts still want about $30 per pair plus shipping, which I personally think is an awesome deal, but the majority of forum users only seem to be interested in spending $10-$15 per unit including shipping
even if we could get a group order for 50+ units at $30 per unit, it seems unlikely that the majority of forum users will agree on the exact product to be ordered I have received lots of PMs and seen some posts to the thread from users which are clearly not reading the info that has already been posted, and this is highly irritating since they won't invest 10 minutes to read what took us many hours to compile some of the people that already paid don't want to wait much longer on at least a few occasions certain parties used the information from this forum to contact our suppliers and purchase BLPS or SPECS inventory directly, which would not normally be a problem, however we were in the process of negotiating for that inventory and had shared the info in good faith so it should have been available first to those participating in the group buy
I am too busy with other things to invest a lot more time on this

So at this time I am going to return all the products back for a refund except for a few of the GRAY BLPS kits and GRAY/CLEAR SPECS kits which have already been paid for."

It was a shame the GB was unsuccessful after so much effort.

My suspicions are that the optical properties of the military SPECS goggles are the same as NoIR provides in their DI6 lenses. (No military sources present the OD curve for the Class 3 lenses.) Here's the chart. The coverage at 694nm drops off rapidly, leaving perhaps OD1.5 at 633nm and OD2 at 670nm.

When I was looking for NIR protection, I couldn't come up with any sources for inexpensive goggles and wasn't about to fire up the 922nm diode I have without something.

Anyone have a BluRay and a LPM they'd like to test these against at 405nm? The specified UV protection was to block at least 90% from 290-380nm, though if identical to the DI6 they would be OD3+ at 405nm.

Attachments

• chart-di6.gif
    chart-di6.gif
    4 KB · Views: 137

Actually, most sunglasses block against UV pretty well even long wave at 405nm at powers of only 20mW there is little need for specific protection. Shilood, I will sent you a pm with the different CPF link I have so it won't mess up your sale. It is about these exact SPECS goggles and not the failed GB on the early BLPS.

OD 2 might really be insufficient since reds are mostly higher powered. I really considered purchasing these at some time.

But for IR they might possibly be useful if they are above OD4/5 since most IR lasers are high powered.

Re: FS: IR Goggles  $15

Apparently I got too excited about my discovery after reading the failed CP forum GB for BLPS goggles (and inability to source the 2WL version other than outdated models.) My fault for overpaying and jumping the gun, but it looked like a good deal for IR goggles, and was the best I could find for myself after a couple weeks search.

Props to xarylx for pointing out that right now there's a cheaper source for these than I wound up paying. If you want a pair for IR, check a guy named 7403squirrel on Ebay. If anyone still wants them from me, I'll eat a few dollars plus shipping to dump the 6 pairs excess I have now. $15 anyone?

i would be up for that! ive been looking for good ir goggles. just to confirm, these are ok at 808nm and 1064nm? i plan to fiddle with DPSS a bit :p

If as I suspect they follow the NoIR DI6 lens curve, they're good for both 808nm (OD4) and 1064nm (OD5). The military only tested at 694nm and 1064nm, specifying a min of OD4.

S

SenKat

Re: FS: IR Goggles  $15  (SPECS)

Shilood - I have owned tow pairs of those...one pair on accident, the other I bought from someone to rpevent them from using them as protective eyewear. To avoid beating a dead horse - they are no good - I think I threw out both pairs I had :( Serisouly...I did not read all the data you posted, but from the casual hobbyist - forget it, they are horrid. Sorry to throw in my two cents without reading, it's late, and sorry if I offended- I will read it a little later on.

They are OD 4 for 1064nm. While they might be useless for 660nm red, they should be useful for dpss IR since 808nm pumps out 1064nm before frequency doubling.

Senkat- are you sure you tested these Specs Class3 2WL version instead of the older BLPS version which were supposedly not very useful.

do these block 808nm??

if so ill have some

S

SenKat

Well - they looked identical to the ones I bought - and they were poop....the ones thatr Shilood has MAY be good - mine were not. At $15.00 a pop, I guess it cannot hurt !

SenKat -- poop for what frequency? Ya can't just poop on these in general, be specific man! For red they're no better than OD1.5, which is poop. If you can source some inexpensive IR goggles for us all, speak up.

Xarylx, you're right.. .OD3 looks right at 808nm.

S

SenKat

Shilood - I have no way to back up anything on these goggles I owned - they were poop, and got tossed...I was not referring to red, they were combos - one lens was for IR one was for green supposedly, and worked out to be around the neighborhood of .003 OD MAYBE because they were so weak...again, no proof - no way to back it up, I shoulda kept my mouth shut maybe - sorry :(