Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FRYING a camcorder

OT, but I have Verizon's fiber for phone and internet, and they give you a big ass battery for the fiber line so if the power goes out, it still has power for about 48 hours. :beer:

That's similar to comcast's cable phone system as well. It has a small built in UPS(uninterruptable power supply).

That's a real comfort, 48 hours I mean. What with the recent power outages people in my area went through that lasted a week or more in some cases. :tinfoil:

A week without power? Damn, thought I was the one living in the 3rd world :/

A week without power? Damn, thought I was the one living in the 3rd world :/

Yup, post hurricane Sandy, it took 13-14 days to restore power to the very vast majority of people.

Last year, after a freak October blizzard, I was without power for four days.

So yeah... 2 days really isn't enough IMO. I mean crap, my cell phone will last longer with everything turned off (4g, bluetooth, wifi, gps, aps) and rationing on calls.

Btw, had a very long conversation with Sprint reps... apparently most of the towers out there are setup with an emergency generator that goes online automatically, and has enough fuel for two days.

That sucks.. on the other hand I think I'd be so pissed if I had to endure multiple days without power that the phone would be the last thing I'd care about.

Fortunately I don't remember any blackouts longer than 24h here, although 1-4h ones are common. Whenever they happen I shut down the computer ASAP and use the UPS to charge my iPhone so I can play some games while the company fixes the problem.

Well, over the course of the last 18 years... three outages total, that lasted for more than a couple of hours (I'm not counting 15 minutes in the middle of the night).

One hit the whole east coast, lasted just overnight, years ago, which considering it started in late, late afternoon, was no big deal. The other was when transformer blew, and it wasn't replaced until next day. Again kind of annoying, but it was fixed the next day.

Only one time over the past 18 years where I was without power for more than 24 hours, and that was the freak snowstorm.

Short outages in the middle of the night are pretty common, one every 1-2 months, but I really think this is strictly down to maintenance.

Last edited:
Not bad at all! Here we get 1-4h outages at least once a couple months (and they're not in the middle of the night). All is needed is heavy rain and that happens all the time :/

I guess I am pretty lucky with power outages. I lose power maybe once every 6 months for maybe an hour or two not counting little 15 minute cuts in the middle of the night. Unfortunately most of our longer outages are right in the middle of the day due to heavy rain and I don't have a UPS yet.

Seriously I run an i7, 32GB of ram, 13TB of HDD, a couple SSDs totaling 480GB, a Creative X-Fi Titanium, and an ATI 6990 and I don't have a UPS... case is a Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition if anyone is interested. Not sure this is relevant to the thread now that I typed it all out...

Last edited:

Elyas

Hey mate sorry I am in a bit of a hurry, but this is too interesting and I couldn't read all the posts, so I don't know if this had been suggested before.
I had the same issue with my neighbor who happened to be an a55 h07e, I used a focus able flashlight and a powerful IR diode to focus it at his effing camera, which he took off in a week! and since I had a small 12V solar panel ($15off eBay) and a 12amp hour battery, I had no issue to just leave it there!

Hey mate sorry I am in a bit of a hurry, but this is too interesting and I couldn't read all the posts, so I don't know if this had been suggested before.
I had the same issue with my neighbor who happened to be an a55 h07e, I used a focus able flashlight and a powerful IR diode to focus it at his effing camera, which he took off in a week! and since I had a small 12V solar panel ($15off eBay) and a 12amp hour battery, I had no issue to just leave it there!

Nice way to take care of that lol. Now the issue is... where did he stick the camera now?...

Elyas

Mix paint! haha blob the camera!

ApexProxy, my neighbor permanently took it off.

Last edited:

Elyas

True, but I am not concerned. Lets say it's always good to know people from different "fields".
Do you guys like your music loud? he he he ;)

MojoLA

Speaking of loud music and annoying neighbors, this is sort of relevant...

An appeals court in... Umm... Well I forget which state, I think it was Florida, maybe? Well it's not really important, but the court said that playing your music in the car so loud that it annoys everyone in a 3 block radius - is LEGAL and protected as "free speech" by the US Constitution first amendment!

I never would have guessed that having a 1500 watt subwoofer that rattles the windows of OTHER cars would be considered 'freedom of expression.'

Can you believe it?? I'd have thought it was illegal for sure. In fact I know the cops can give you a ticket or even impound your car if the decibel level coming from it is over a certain level. I mean it seems reasonable that if you are creating a nuisance with a way too loud stereo it should be illegal, right?

Not anymore, I guess. So, once again, you'll have to take things into your own hands.

Is it possible to disrupt someone else's car stereo with a laser??

MojoLA

Oh and he just pulled the phone cable for MY apartment out of the box, not the whole building. I came home one day and my phone didn't work. Normally that wouldn't bother me since as you all say, I use my cell most of the time.

But I need the phone line for my DSL! And taking away my Internet is bad. Very bad.

Obviously I had no idea what the problem was so I had to call the phone company to come by. The guy checked the lines in my house and found no problem there. Then he went outside to check the main junction box. When he came back to my apartment he told me "someone pulled your cable out of the box."

Immediately I knew it had to be Mr Jackoff. At least he didn't cut the cable. But it really did piss me off and I found it very uncomfortable to know that something as important as the phone lines for the entire building are open and exposed to anyone who wants to mess with them.

The box is still on our property so he had to trespass to do it, but it still seems like a bad idea for it to be that easy to vandalize.

I really could have gone to the cops since messing with phone lines is a serious crime (I think it's a felony) and trespassing isn't smiled upon either... But it would have been hard to prove it was him. And doing that would have just made the situation get worse, so I decided to just let it go.

I had my fun; his cameras were kaput and he knows that people are not gojng to tolerate his dogs barking at all hours.

Oh and to the person that suggested doing something to the dogs, yeah, I thought about that when I was being woken up every morning at 6am by barking... But it's not the dogs fault and I love animals, so I couldn't bring myself to do that. I did think about throwing food into his yard so he would get the idea how easy it would be for someone to poison the dogs and that might make him think hard about the situation... But I think the barking stopped before I was ready to take that step!