Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FRYING a camcorder

I don't think there is much to update bro. The cameras were obliterated by a BB Gun so there isn't much else that can be done to them short of taking them down and hitting them with a hammer.

Holy crap...I hardly ever post but I'm compelled to even though this thread is kinda old because I'm shocked from the gradual progression of what Mojo did.

Initially, Mojo, it seemed like the idea was to find a low cost or what was available around the house to jack up that dudes cameras and then you ended up getting a high-powered air rifle to do the job LOL. Don't get me wrong, I am all for vengeance but no offense, that just seemed a bit poorly planned because it'll be obvious that someone shot at the cameras and perhaps the lead pellets are stuck in the camera housings leaving evidence. Unless you have no fear of back-lash or getting in trouble with the law, that was pretty hilarious and ballsy. High five man!

The fact that you spent more time and money than you previously expected to, I wish I saw this earlier. I would have given you a million of ideas to try! Not sure if you had access to the ground level but since you mentioned he may have been out on vacation, I would have put on a pair of latex gloves, simply used a small metal pin and pricked the lines somewhere inconspicuously to bridge the power cable, broke off the rest of the pin and he would have had no idea why his cameras no longer worked and no obvious tampering of his property.

Honestly though if you were just going to shoot out his cameras (and I have no idea how you got away with the sound of the air-gun let alone what could have happened if ricochet broke a window) it might have been better that you blinded his cameras daily with a flood light would be reasonable in case he was constantly recording and to hide the fact that you were doing anything out of the ordinary that may have been recorded. That basically is the real issue, you had no idea what got recorded. If nothing, then awesome but what if the dude had it hooked up to a DVR and there is footage of you taking pictures of his cameras, shining bright blue lasers at them, spraying sugar/salt water on them? At least if you went with the idea of turning on flood lights every night to disable the camera's pictures, you could have on a random day went down to ground level at night, cut the cables to disable the power, then completely torn off the cameras, drove to a trash bin with no surveillance cameras around and got rid of the evidence.

Gah sorry for my rant. My mischievous but logical side got to me. I just really want an update on if the guy ever confronted you about it. I can't imagine a redneck sitting tight and no wanting to go even bigger and badder like blowing out your windows with a shotgun or waiting for you to come home so he could beat you. Just saying...there's always people crazier then we ourselves.

Speaking of crazy, my neighbour (apartment housing) who had a crush on my elder sister ,set a camera facing our doorstep. When questioned, he said it was for his own security. Thing is, our apartment is at the end of the hallway, unless he thought we were criminals.

3 years later, the camera is still up there...

Lol I play Dark Space, its an RTS/FPS-MMO. Everyone in the game wants to cry about us elite being too Over Powered. So, My sig is, It's Nerf or Nothing! Shoot it with a Nerf Gun :p

Lol I play Dark Space, its an RTS/FPS-MMO. Everyone in the game wants to cry about us elite being too Over Powered. So, My sig is, It's Nerf or Nothing! Shoot it with a Nerf Gun :p

I agree cause seriously, he used a 1200FPS air-rifle that can break the sound barrier and make a lot of noise. The vantage point looks obvious who did it too...

Oh well, Im being too CSI now. For what its worth, this was the most entertaining thread I've read so far, I just wish I saw it sooner :D

MojoLA

UPDATE

First, to answer some questions and criticisms...

Why didn't I do something simpler and cheaper, like snip the camera cables? Well, the short answer is TRESSPASSING. Jumping the fence to get into his yard just seemed like a very big line I didn't want to cross. Although he did it quite a few times. Still, being caught doing that would have been bad. Very bad.

As far as less invasive ways to cause damage other than the air rifle... I did try salt water, sugar water and high power lasers. Ultimately these and other more "creative" methods, while fun to write about, are hard to verify. There's just no way to know if any of these would have done the trick. On the other hand, shooting out a lens may be barbaric and old fashioned, but at least it's easy to see when you've achieved your goal. And it's a pretty good bet that a camera with no lens isn't going to be recording anything!

Another reason I decided to just screw it and go redneck is when I found out my downstairs neighbor (who's balcony also faces his yard) was very upset that it looked like one of the cameras was recording HER home. And upon closer inspection, I think she was right - it did look like one of the cameras was aimed a bit lower, and it also makes sense - he wasn't 100% sure I was the culprit, and in practice there is no reason he needed two cameras recording exactly the same thing aimed at my place.

She even went to the police about it but they told her too bad, there was nothing they could do. If she didn't like her apartment being secretly filmed, "move" was their advice.

Well that really pissed me off, and now there was a damsel in distress! She was forced to hang new curtains and stopped going on her balcony.

This would not do.

So, I got the rifle. And keep in mind, when I went to the sporting goods store my intent was to buy a high power WATER gun. I hadn't even considered a "real" gun. But when I got to the top of the escalator, staring me right in the face was a table full of BB and pellet guns on clearance sale. And right on top was a really bad-ass looking 1200 feet-per-second rifle. It was almost like it was meant to be. And the normally priced $160 item was only $99.

And to further make the case for fate, it turned out that the $99 tag was a mistake, and it should have been $129. But since I had picked up a box that had the $99 tag on it, even though it was a mistake, they would honor it.

So I whipped out my smart phone and looked up reviews. They were very good and basically said the rifle in question was really top-notch. So, realizing that this would be the only way to insure success, I went for it.

As documented in this thread, I only took shots while I had a bright light flaring out the lenses, so there was zero chance of me being recorded doing it. And yes, the rifle was pretty loud, so I would take a single shot and then scoot back inside before anyone would have a chance to look around and see where the noise came from (but, to be honest, in a fairly urban area, no one really pays attention to things like that. It sounded like a small firecracker).

Luckily, the scope on the rifle was excellent and it turns out I'm not a bad shot, so I hit the target about 80% of the time. So after about a week and a dozen shots, those lenses were toast!

When douche-face got back from vacation, he called my landlord and complained. The landlord called me and asked if I knew anything about his cameras being destroyed (interesting to note is that the guy wasn't specifying they were shot out - I don't think he knew how it was done. In fact I think he assumed someone jumped the fence and did it by hand).

I sort of evaded the question and told the landlord that the guy is a kook who wanted to blame me for everything just because I had previously complained about his barking dogs. I also pointed out that I wasn't the only one upset about the cameras and our entire building was up in arms about them. The landlord's main concern was the situation would spiral out of control, but I reassured him that since the dogs hadn't been barking lately, as far as I was concerned it was a non-issue that was already over with.

And I reminded him that the guy was nuts anyway, since the whole situation was his fault in the first place - he was ignoring the complaints of his neighbors while obviously being aware that his dogs had been creating a giant nuisance that he refused to do anything about. So he didn't really have much of a right to be mad about people wanting to do something about it themselves.

The only thing the guy did to try and get even was Tresspass into our property and pull my phone cable out of the mainline phone box in back of the building. I was thinking about letting him know that what he did was a federal felony and we had him on tape doing it since there were security cameras all over our building and he was a pretty big idiot for not noticing that (kind of ironic, huh?)

We didn't really have him on tape, but I think he would have believed it because we DO have cameras everywhere - just not back there. But I decided to let it go and not push the situation any further.

And so that's the end! Nothing had happened since then and the dogs have been quiet.

As for the rifle... It sits under my bed, just in case :)

Last edited:
:crackup: Lost it at "I decided to just screw it and go redneck " :crackup:

Thanks for the update.

Once again, getting a legitimate laugh was achieved here XD

I have to agree with Infinitus and that part was where I lost it and started cracking up.

Your handling of the situation was top notch and his reaction was priceless. Job well done, objective achieved. The damsel in distress has been saved by the knight in shining armor... so-to-speak. :crackup:

Ahh I was under the impression the cables were within reaching distance along your side of the fence. Well, I guess the air rifle did the job and he's too much of an idiot to figure out how they were broken. Most important is that you didn't get caught and he seems to be oblivious as to who did it hah. I was going to mention doing something to his dog but I have a dog and I don't support harming animals unless my life was in danger.
I'm surprised no one else bothered to file a complaint about the phone box. I guess people don't use land lines anymore these days.

Ahh I was under the impression the cables were within reaching distance along your side of the fence. Well, I guess the air rifle did the job and he's too much of an idiot to figure out how they were broken. Most important is that you didn't get caught and he seems to be oblivious as to who did it hah. I was going to mention doing something to his dog but I have a dog and I don't support harming animals unless my life was in danger.
I'm surprised no one else bothered to file a complaint about the phone box. I guess people don't use land lines anymore these days.

What is a land line? J/k im 31, but out of everyone I talk to atleast once a month, none of them have a land line...

I have never been without a land line but its usually there just because its in a package with internet and I live in an earthquake prone place where only landlines will sometimes work after a large earthquake. Stupid cell towers max out really really quick so they are useless when everyone is trying to call everyone else.

I have a land line I never use. Basically it's there in case of a power outage.

Verizon recently sent me an offer to upgrade the line to fiber... no freaking thank you... fiber, and power goes out = no phone service.

If they are willing to give me a couple hundred to agree to the ugprade.. sure, but otherwise forget it.

Sorry for the OT rant :tinfoil: Back to the regularly scheduled destruction now please.

I have a land line I never use. Basically it's there in case of a power outage.

Verizon recently sent me an offer to upgrade the line to fiber... no freaking thank you... fiber, and power goes out = no phone service.

If they are willing to give me a couple hundred to agree to the ugprade.. sure, but otherwise forget it.

Sorry for the OT rant :tinfoil: Back to the regularly scheduled destruction now please.

OT, but I have Verizon's fiber for phone and internet, and they give you a big ass battery for the fiber line so if the power goes out, it still has power for about 48 hours. :beer:

OT, but I have Verizon's fiber for phone and internet, and they give you a big ass battery for the fiber line so if the power goes out, it still has power for about 48 hours. :beer:

That's similar to comcast's cable phone system as well. It has a small built in UPS(uninterruptable power supply).