Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

fried driver?

sperocket

Hi everyone, I messed up and put the batteries in backwards on my 445nm 9mm diode with 2.4 amp buck X-drive. So it didn't turn on. then I figured out what my dumba$$ had done. After reading for a few hours I figured it was probably just the driver I fried so I ordered another from DTR. When I took it apart I could see no physical damage. Nothing melted or burnt looking. Could it be bad and not see anything on the surface? I am hoping the diode is still good. Thanks for any of your help. I guess I should probably remove the diode and put a test load on it to test it?

Last edited:

Pi R Squared

Here is something DTR posted in this thread: http://laserpointerforums.com/f65/my-dominator-has-died-88540.html
See the photo, the damage might not always be very noticeable.

Not sure what driver he is using but it drawing 5mA or so sounds like what the X-drive draws when it has been blown with reverse current. Any chance the batteries were ever put in backwards?

When that is done with the X-drive it does not kill the diode but the driver would need to be replaced. Not that expensive of a fix but I am not sure if that is the driver he is using.

If it is an X-drive you can confirm by looking at the 8 pin chip it will have a small circular burn mark in the lower corner. It is the most common damage I see the 9mm modules with X-drive take but the diode always survives which is good. It will look like this.
Alan

10fenny

you wont really know for sure if its fried unless you either swap it or put a load test to it.. but most likley fried the driver.

sperocket

Thanks for the responses. I guess I'll remove the diode and test it with a 2amp load. Would a 4 ohm 5 watt resistor be good enough for a test load?