Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Free Helium Cadmium laser, not working

diachi

Adam, you think you could get this working again?

Not much I can do for a dead filament - but heads sometimes come up on eBay, so a cheap replacement head would be a more viable option.

I'm surprised it doesn't have a secondary filament though. They often have a spare filament or two. The last HeCd I bought had three filaments, two spares.

I brought the laser to work with me today, looks like I won't be able to use LG's shipping account to ship it due to liability problems (fragile glass tubes containing toxic metals and whatnot). I'll get the thing properly packaged this afternoon and then get the dimensions and weights for shipping purposes.

532, if you were thinking of traveling to come get it I could meet you in Niagara Falls (on the Canadian side), my parents live there. The AmTrak site says the maximum package dimensions are 3x3x3 feet, and the laser head is larger than this so I'm not sure if that will work. I'll have a UPS quote by the end of tomorrow (hopefully).

EDIT: Also, 532, I'll need your actual address.

Last edited:
Dropped you a PM,
Perhaps shipping the PSU via Amtrak will drop the price down....a bit more running around though.
Either way and how ever it works out and who gets it in the end....

+1 rep for putting this out for the community and running around checking shipping, all for a free item!:beer::beer:

Hey thanks buddy. I know if I wanted to wait around with a listing on ebay I could get something for it, but it doesn't feel right to me to be selling something that doesn't work. Plus, I've been sitting on the thing for two years and bringing it along with me even though I've moved twice. It's time for me to just get of it because it's taking up a bunch of room.

I didn't get the chance to finish packaging it last night and it's a long weekend coming up so I won't be able to get a shipping quote until mid next week. Sorry about the delay.

Just for an FYI to anyone out there.
Event_Horizon was very kind in researching, packaging up, and sending out this unit to me.
I should receive it in a week or so and very much look forward to having a beautiful frustration crowding up my already crowded room!:D

The cost from Toronto, Canada to New York, NY. USA was $200. I think about par with the strange size of the tube and weight of the PSU.

If anyone has a connection for cheaper fixing of this tube or getting one that works I would appreciate it very much.

THANKS AGAIN to EVENT_HORIZON!! This was a very kind offer putting this out to all here at LPF and I hope sometime in the future I can get it up and running!
:beer::beer:

Don't mention it, buddy. One mans trash is another mans treasure, or so they say. UPS should pick it up today and you should have it around Friday provided customs doesn't hold it up. I wish you the very best of luck getting it up and running again. If you do, be sure to send me pictures.

Let's hope they go easy on handling the HeCd during shipment, or it would be one man trashing another mans treasure.

Well I got the laser and PSU in the mail today.
This is a very nice looking unit!! I knew I was going to be a bit bummed when I opened it all up that I would not be able to fire it up. Hopefully it will act as inpiration for now until I 'find' another head for it.
Even_Horizon did a VERY AMAZING job of packing the head and PSU, I now also have enough foam and bubble wrap for the next couple of years!;)
Thanks again for doing all the back work and sending this out.

Just a couple of pics for fun! She's not as large as a high power argon, but still has some girth. The PSU is 'about' the same size as my argon one, a bit larger though.

(pics pulled because I took them on my phone and it gives up my damm address!....Thanks Jacob32123 for the heads up on that...here is the link for the forums post on the subject....http://laserpointerforums.com/f57/those-who-post-images-lpf-66163.html
Seems my phone does that all for me.)
(more photo's coming)

Okay I took some pics with my regular camera, also I turned off the geotagging on my phone, that might have been what was putting out my address.
Jacob32123 let me know if these photo's revile more than the eye can see please.
P8120008.jpg
[/IMG]

P8120006.jpg
[/IMG]

P8120004.jpg
[/IMG]

P8120005.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
It's a biggin' but seems a bit smaller in person than in the photo's.:thinking:

The head and the PSU are in almost new shape though.
Now comes the tough part though.....finding another working head or repairing at non-lab prices!:horse:

Last edited:
I'm almost sure this is of no use, as I'm guessing the heads and power supplies are supposed to be matched, but there is a reasonable cheap He-Cd heads on eBay.

Liconix Helium Cadmium Laser. Power Supply Not Inclued | eBay

Thanks for posting. I do keep my eye on ebay for any heads, there were a few Kimmon heads for sale, but all were non-functional. I can't match Liconix with my psu but I have thought that perhaps just re-gassing a non-functional Kimmon head from ebay "MAY" be cheaper than replacing the entire tube that I have.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, how much did it cost to ship via Amtrak? I'm from NYC too, and it would be nice to know how much it may be in the future.

We didn't get the price for this unit because it was out of normal size. On the Amtrak site there are the shipping cost.
My sister and her husband used to use Amtrak quite a bit for shipping around the country because it was cheaper than trucking the odd item.