Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Four copier/fax laser assembilies

Hi all,

I currently have four copier laser assembilies available for trade. These laser assembiles include POLYGON MIRRORS ON MOTORS (usually something laser show folks want) and are from:

1 Canon ImageRunner 3500 Series Office Copier
1 Canon ImageRunner 3400 Series Office Copier
1 Canon CFX-L4500 IF Laser Fax Machine
1 Canon LC 2060P Laser Fax Machine

I know this might not mean much to many (if anyone) but here is what the 3400 Series (sorry..no pic of the 3500 series right now) looks like opened up. NOTE: These pics show only the insides of the assembilies, HOWEVER I will include the covers and foam seals for these so you can have a dust-free assembily. Brand new, these entire assembilies are $350-$400 (used like these are usually worth $150-$200):

0521092157.jpg

It contains a 6-sided mirror on a motor, a 5mw IR laser (I know, junk but the heatsink may be worth something to someone for another laser) a small, square First-side mirror, a couple lenses, a 5-6 inch long First-Side mirror, a laser detection unit, and a nice housing (could be good for a simplified laser show assembily...heck everything is aligned already...just replace the laser and voila!)

The two laser fax assembiles are EXACTLY the same (in fact the fax machines themselves are almost identical minus a couple parts)
0521092158.jpg

0521092159.jpg

Sorry for the blurry image...only had a cellphone available to take the pic.

Anyway, these are smaller units and the polygon mirrors on motors are only 4 sided. Might be good for someone wanting to build their own laser scanner? I don't know...someone more experianced in laser shows would have to comment on this.

Also, I have 4 LONG First-Side mirrors available. They are between 10-15" long and 1 1/4" wide, and less than 1/8 inch thick.

0521092146.jpg

That is a sheet of regular 8 1/2"x11" paper for a size comparison. (The mirrors in this pic I have promissed to Kenom however I have four more that are exactly like these)

All the motors and lasers work fine and have been tested. I can include the spec sheets and circuit diagrams for the assemblies if you wish but they are pretty simple units to figure out with a multimeter ;)

All I am looking for is trades for low power (20-50mw) non-burning lasers or any surplus/extra laser parts/modules you no longer use/want. (I really need to stop using slashies)

Shipping isn't more than $8 or so via the flat-box rate with the USPS we can work out shipping details.

You can talk to ElektroFreak if you want to know anything about these assemblies as I have shipped an assembily to him.

Last edited:

Kenom

This is really an awesome deal here guys. You can't find a polygon mirror/motor like this for under $15-$20 and are great for liquid sky. PLus all those mirrors are first surface. meaning that the light bounces off the reflective surface first so there's little to no losses.

hmm... I tore apart my laser copier, but I didn't find any laser assembly :p Where is it?
Also: PM SENT

hmm... I tore apart my laser copier, but I didn't find any laser assembly :p Where is it?
Also: PM SENT

Depends on the type. If you can tell me make and model I could probably give you the service guide (or just tell you where to look).

One thing to remember is that the laser is usually close to the drum. The reason for this is the drum is sensitive to light and the laser is used to 'etch' the image onto the drum and the toner will either adhere to where the laser light struck or will stick where the laser light did not hit (two different kinds of drums...I can get really in depth but quick and dirty is the laser needs to be near the drum).

Find the drum in your copier and you will find the laser nearby. If you have a toner cartridge, usually these will have a slit or rectangular opening in the top of them. That is where the laser beam will enter the cartridge and strike the drum. In smaller copiers, this means the laser is normally above where the toner cartridge is found. Larger copiers usually have separate toner units and drum units.

Anyway, just let me know the make and model (i.e. Canon IR 4750) and I can probably point you in the right direction.

Last edited:
I have a Canon PCI 941 -- I already stripped it clean but I don't see anything that looks like a laser :p

No problem. As I'm a certified Canon tech I have access to all canon service guides. I'll be able to tell you by the end of the day (on lunch right now) where the laser is and provide you with a service guide for that machine.

Potatorage,

I did a quick lookup on your copier. It is a consumer-grade analog copier based on the office-grade NP 7130. The difference is that the PC 941 used a toner/drum cartridge combo while the NP 7130 used a fixed drum and separate toner unit.

As this is an analog machine, there are no lasers involved. There WILL be some first-side mirrors in there. I have included a page out of the NP 7130 manual (which is the same basic machine) so you have an idea of where the mirrors are if you missed any.

Attachments

• example 1.JPG
    example 1.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 631
:( I really wanted to get a laser out of it ;(
What is an analog machine?

:( I really wanted to get a laser out of it ;(
What is an analog machine?

It would be a copier that uses mirrors and a bright light to make an image onto the drum. A digital copier is one that uses a laser and CCD instead of a mirror and light assembly.

No wonder the copier had a big yellow light instead of a cold cathode... Any info on this lamp?

The lamp is a halogen lamp. I'm not sure what info you are looking for but I can send you the service manual for the NP 7130 in PDF format. That has all the technical information you would ever want. Chapter 3 on the exposure system would be what you would probably want to look at. The problem is this lamp needs pulsed high voltage to work (50-80volts pulsed) and that is supplied by two different circuit boards.

Oh, I replied to your PM. Just let me know what you are looking for and I can have it shipped tomorrow :)

Attachments

• example 2.jpg
    example 2.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 299
@ bschott, I have a Mita DC1856 copier sat in the garage awaiting a stripdown, any idea what it has of use inside it?

Regards rog8811